iMac crashes at least weekly, thoughts?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Apple does have a reputation for departments siloing themselves away from other departments who are developing for the same platform. To be fair though, my Windows PC at work crashes about half the time when resuming from the company-forced screensaver.
I never intended to turn this into a MAC vs PC discussion. Sorry if it came across that way. That said, what you're experiencing seems different to me in that Dave's issue is almost certainly the fault of Apple's Catalina OS, whereas yours might very well be attributable to 3rd party software.

Reactions: Clinton McClure

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I spoke too soon, kinda. My iMac has seemingly crashed in the middle of the latest OS update. I’m leaving it until tomorrow. Maybe magic elves will fix it while I sleep.
That sounds like a separate issue, which is what I think you're also saying. The random crashes seem to have stopped, correct?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That sounds like a separate issue, which is what I think you're also saying. The random crashes seem to have stopped, correct?
The most likely cause of that is probably a drive problem, would you think? Maybe a failing drive.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I never intended to turn this into a MAC vs PC discussion. Sorry if it came across that way. That said, what you're experiencing seems different to me in that Dave's issue is almost certainly the fault of Apple's Catalina OS, whereas yours might very well be attributable to 3rd party software.
No worries. I’m sure my issue stems from one of the myriad number of new unnecessary software bits the IT department pushes out every few weeks. I wish I could turn off the screensaver on my work PC because it’s a PitA but group policy will not let me because IT doesn’t trust end users to press Windows-L and lock their computers before leaving them. After observing other employees just walking away and leaving their PCs unlocked until the forced screensaver turns on, I gotta agree with the IT department.

With the number of issues reported online of Macs crashing in similar ways as Dave’s, it probably is an OS bug with the sleep or power nap feature, which is why I don’t use them on my Mac. Years ago when I exclusively used windows at home, I experienced similar issues, BSOD, and other random weirdness associated with sleep and hibernate so I stopped using those features. I guess the point I’m making is I have seen the same behavior out of both Mac and PC and found that using sleep / hibernate / etc... just isn’t worth the hassle and you’re much better off not using them.

Reactions: John Dirk

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The most likely cause of that is probably a drive problem, would you think? Maybe a failing drive.
Certainly possible. Could also just be a bad patch. I'm really scratching my head with MAC reliability, something I never knew was an issue before this thread.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, I manage all the Macs at work, plus at home and my parents’, and I have very few problems. I have not done the latest OS though, since it does seem to be a bit twitchy. In my experience, failed updates have always been a failing drive. But I also install the update on a flash drive and use that to update.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I spoke too soon, kinda. My iMac has seemingly crashed in the middle of the latest OS update. I’m leaving it until tomorrow. Maybe magic elves will fix it while I sleep.
All’s well that ends well :)

I did a hard reboot, and basically it came back fine. The upgrade was successful despite having frozen on the progress screen. And no crashes so far today since.

Reactions: Clinton McClure

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
All’s well that ends well :)

I did a hard reboot, and basically it came back fine. The upgrade was successful despite having frozen on the progress screen. And no crashes so far today since.
That is just weird. You’d think an OS update freezing would be the kiss of death. It would seem the update continued even though the screen display indicated no progress. Perhaps waiting overnight gave it plenty of time to finish the update. If you had done the reboot shortly after the screen freeze, that might have been another story.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That is just weird. You’d think an OS update freezing would be the kiss of death. It would seem the update continued even though the screen display indicated no progress. Perhaps waiting overnight gave it plenty of time to finish the update. If you had done the reboot shortly after the screen freeze, that might have been another story.
Yeah, I was preparing to spend the day restoring from backup. And that is why I left it alone overnight — that and having learned not to jump into computer problems end of day when I’m exhausted. :)

I think the upgrade proceeded correctly, but the status screen was locked. A weird situation, I’ve never seen before. But it was fairly minor ultimately.

• Agreed
Reactions: John Dirk

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
that and having learned not to jump into computer problems end of day when I’m exhausted. :)
Yea, that's an important lesson. I've made that mistake more times than I care to disclose. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DaveF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m fairly certain that’s happened to me once. An upgrade appeared to fail, but didn’t.

Reactions: DaveF

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34