I'm worried about the future of comic based movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jon Mercer, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

The main reason is Catwoman.
    I would LOVE DC to get more movies of their heroes done but with the eminent failure of Catwoman on the rise it doesn't look good.
    I just hope that the Batman movie gets too far along to pull the plug - I can't wait to see Bale as Batman!
    At least Marvel is doing a good job of getting their stuff right.

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I'm just worried about WB's production. They own the rights to some of the best comic book characters but they seem reluctant to get back into the game since Batman and Robin, and hopefully Catwoman won't deter them from doing more. In fact, I'm hoping the success of S-M2 is enough to undo any potential damage from Catwoman done to the fate of future comic-to-film projects.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

films that are rooted in fundamentals like solid storytelling and compelling characters and conflicts will succeed.

its the crap that places an emphasis on celebrity stars, special effects, production design, and marketing hype while ignoring the former that will falter and fail.

personally, i'm very interested in Man-Thing since it is being developed with out much studio/corporate interference since it is lower profile character.

also, given WBs track record, i will only give Nolan & Bales interpretation a thumbs up after i've seen the finished film.
    they could hit all the right notes on paper that the fans have been grousing about not getting before, and the finished film can still be a deadly dull affair.
    the proof'll be in the puddin.

what WB needs more than anything is a comic book fan/creator to shepherd the projects thru at that studio- someone like Avi Arad who actually cares about the properties and wants to see them done right- not just done big.
    until they get someone like that, i can't put to much faith in the corporate mentality there.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, I'm less worried than I was. Catwoman will be a complete and utter disaster, I have no doubt about that, but DC has in recent months hired someone whose job is to basically be the equivelent of Avi Arad at Marvel - to make people in Hollywood aware of DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm's properties, hook them up with the right people, and co-ordinate with them to make sure the movie reflects well on DC and Warner/New Line. It's a new position, and if he's anywhere near as effective as Avi Arad has been, could be a big one. Of course, his job is different than Arad's - he's basically got two customers (Warner Brothers and New Line), and the structure of Time-Warner means that he can potentially be shunted to the side, unlike Arad, who has an active role in the production of Marvel's movies.

I don't think Catwoman will be a franchise/genre-killing disaster. Warner will lose a bunch of money on that, but I gather they're already ready for that: Its release date is set for 30 July, right on the border of the August dumping ground and where it's likely to get crushed by the new Night Shamalayan picture. It'll be a Steel-type flop, not Batman & Robin.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

While that may be good news, its too late for Hellblazer. I'm about 99% certain that one of my favorite comic characters is about to be raped, pillaged, and stretched on the rack until the only thing recognizable is the name.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

There isn't too much to worry about with the Marvel titles. Avi Arad and Kevin Feige have it fairly under control.
    DC is where the problems lie. They do have a film guy now so maybe those problems will go away, but DC does definitely has to get more involved in the film productions and take a stand against it's owner to prevent more bad movies. Catwoman is definitely destined to be horrible, but there's still hope for the rest of the properties. Batman seems to be on the right track. I hope Superman stays in development hell until they learn that they shouldn't remake the beginning. And the rest are all still stuck in development hell or are not being considered for a film project at this time.

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

it was a while ago and the business has changed, but when i was going to Kubert in the late 80s, one of my instructors was Sal Amendola*

he was telling us all horror stories of what the attitudes were actually like over there- from the old editors like Giordano (who came off pretty bad in Sals stories), to the top office (Levitz, Kahn, etc).
    it seemed like a very mercenary company-
    in the sense that the characters were revenue generators soley because they were icons-not because they were interesting characters in entertaining stories,
    and the way the properties have played out in other mediums over that time, i would say the initial impression i was getting from Sals tales, was very much correct.
    they whore the characters out.

*here's Sals art.
    i grooved on this ish as a little kid, because Batman was drawn so 'creepily'- it was a refreshing change from the typical Irv Novick/Jim Arparo/Marshall Rogers look predominante at the time.
    [​IMG]

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Levitz is still at DC, but the new guy in charge creatively - Dan DiDio - is doing pretty spiffy stuff. Come April, there will even be good people on the Superman books, which is going to be a new and nifty experience for me.
    Movie's not even called "Hellblazer" anymore.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am glad to read that DC/Warner has finally hired someone like Avi Arad to oversee their properties. I hope he has the common sense and the power to do things right. I never understood Warner. They have such great and well know heroes. Yet, when they do pick a character to do. It is a second string or they completly change the character. For example they are looking at doing a new Flash tv show. But, he won't wear a costume and his time travels. The premise was good. So, why make him the Flash. He's not. This is the same as Catwoman. And for those saying that the Flash series from the early nineties died after one season. The show did ok here and was very successful overseas. Their was a tv guide interview with the president of CBS where the show was airing. He even said his moving the show around killed it.

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Thanks Jason. I guess if they're changing everything else, there's no point in keeping the name either. [​IMG]

11. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Well, to be fair, the movie's name is Constantine so putting it down for that reason would be like saying the Alastair Sim version of a A Christmas Carol (called simply Scrooge) is a travesty.

Also
    Sorry buddy, but a look at this says otherwise. Not saying that a good movie won't do great box-office (or vice versa) but quality and success are not the result of one another. Hell, I hardly get Spidey's success.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

true.
    and i should know that as i work in an enviornment with other artists and its depressing how often the one with the lesser skills will walk off at the end of the night with the the fattest pockets.

i like to believe though that quality will out in the end, otherwise i would have slit my wrists long ago.

13. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Still my biggest long running fear about these comic book movies is the future project known as "Wonder Woman."

It's always been one of my favorite titles, but DC doesn't have the strong interest in this hero the way that they do the others. In fact, if I recall, isn't it within the companies orginal WW contact that they have to put out a comic regardless of how it does otherwise, they loose the right to the chacater? I think that I recall reading that in the WW coffee table book that was released about two years ago.

There are so many things that could go wrong with this project if everything isn't just right.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Wonder Woman is a good example of what is wrong with DC/Warner. Instead of trying to find an actress that looks like Wonder Woman. They automatically want the star name and went after Sandra Bullock, who I think is hot. But, does not have the physique of WW.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Yes, that's correct. If it wasn't for that wrinkle in the contract, DC would have cancelled WW many times over the decades. Despite the character's high profile, it's been a very long time since she was a consistent seller.