I'm working on a student film, trying to construct a plane interior... help :-)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott D S, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Hi all. I'm studying film at Full Sail in Winter Park, FL. We just started 16mm production class and the film I am working on is entitled Sanguinity. The lead character is a flight attendant and, as such, much of the film takes place on an airplane (a 747 or something similar).

Well, we need to construct the interior of the the cabin. First class, coach, it doesn't matter. We're only going to be able to build the first few rows anyway. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any information as to where we could obtain spare parts (probably a futile endeavour in the post-9/11 world), pictures of decals and graphics (I'm going to make my own but it's nice to maintain a modicum of authenticity), etc.

Another group did something like this a few months ago but had to strike the set afterwards. I really want to knock the other groups' socks off with this. We're currently researching our options but I'd appreciate any info. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Go to your nearest "Automobile recyclers" (aka: Junkyard) and tell the guy at the desk:

"I have $20. give me two steering wheels and all the guages this will buy, they don't have to work"

You'll have enough "cockpit" parts to make 50 war films. [​IMG]

As for seats..I dunno, your on your own there.

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Have you tried asking an airline if they'd let you shoot in a plane, or if they could aid you in coming up with a set (such as a grounded training plane)? Last semester a classmate of mine wanted to shoot most of his film in an airport run by USAir, and they let him (though he had to do the filmming at 1am). You'd be surprised what people will do for you when you're making a student film.

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Just use some cardboard, plywood, a few radio-looking thingys and a shower curtain. [​IMG] Just make sure the pie tins make a bright light and a whooshing noise as the UFOs fly by.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

airline isn't going to work, their planes are in the air about 12+ hours a day, some as much as 16.
    There's a junkyard that specializes in supplying airplane parts to the movie industry, but he's in california and I don't remember his name, you could find it in a search.

A real airplane cabin is going to be too small to shoot in methinks, I'd build a set only building the right half and leave the rest open. most airlines don't have any logos inside the airplane. http://www.airliners.net/ should have pictures of about anything you would need. If you went with a newer airplane like a canadair (bombardier) CRJ the instrument panel is mostly just 6 CRT screens, would be much easier to build a replica EFIS than a full panel complete with gauges.

another idea for shooting cockpit scenes, call someone like flight safety international, they have a training center in FL I think, they procide simulator training for the corporate and airline world. You could ask to shoot in/around one of their simulators. If there's an airline that has a flight attendant training center in FL (can't think of any but there might be) you could ask if you could shoot there since they'd probably have a cabin mockup, not sure how complete.

But then you'd need a whole crew of little people like casablanca.

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

for the cabin area, why not substitute and use a Greyhound bus? Maybe put some covers over the large windows with smaller portal windows.

You could also check with the local airport for when the flight club meets. nearly all airports have one. There is a good chance that one or more of the pilots there will have access to a small charter plane.

Flight schools may have cockpit sims.

Or you could do a total script rewrite and change the set to something easier - like the story of a HT junkie and his struggle for the elusive SAF.

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Scott should still ask; you never know how the might be able to accommodate his needs. The worst that happens is that they say know and he's wasted 5 minutes making the phone call. (Also, planes do need to be serviced at some point.)

8. Scott D S

Scott Saslow
    We can't shoot on location. Don't ask me why, it's just a rule. Once we get into 35mm production, then we will be. And it's a shame too because Universal Studios (which is only 30 minutes away from my apartment) has a standing 727 mockup on their lot.

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's still a very complicated request.

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask. Like I said before, people can be surprisingly accommodating for a student film.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

well, it's a moot point since he can't shoot on location, but before 9/11 perhaps, after 9/11? I don't think it will happen. the Mx areas are secure.

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Philip_G, Seth--L said that his classmate was able to shoot in one last semester courtesy of US Airways.

13. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

It was in an airport. Not exactly the same as a plane, but US Air was very cooperative.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

[​IMG]

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Bah. :p)

16. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Tommy C - did you order your freaksngeeks dvd set yet? They sell a special collectors edition at freaksandgeeks.com which comes in a yearbook! [​IMG]
    Totally RAD!

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Eric, I ordered the yearbook set back in February, and got it last Monday. I've been raving about it ever since in the TV on DVD section of the forum. I got the picture in my signature from the photo gallery on the 8th disc. [​IMG]

18. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Come to NYC /... there is a bar in the Village called Idlewild ... that is built like the interior of a plane ... really [​IMG] ... down to the last detail

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

20. Scott D S

Scott Saslow
    I'm back and I'm happy to report

I DID IT!!

After e-mailing and calling at least three dozen companies, I finally hit paydirt. By "I" I mean "we". One company I e-mailed yesterday morning mentioned a company based in Hialeah (3.5 hours away from here) that sells used airplane parts. My associates and I left at 5:00 this morning, trekked down to South Florida (I got to pass by where I'm from), picked out what we needed, rented a U-Haul truck, and brought everything back up.

We obtained 12 wall panels with windows, 8 2-seaters, a galley wall, a meal cart, 6 overhead bins, and some door pieces. All for only $200. We get to keep everything and we have been reimbursed by the school for all expenses (even gas and tolls). I also received a set of decals from a company based in Palm Bay. I just have to return them when we're done.

I'd attach some pictures but I have nowhere to host them. Needless to say, it looks very nice. A scratch here, a chip there. We cleaned off the seats and bins as best we could and are now in the process of construction.

[​IMG]