I'm WHACKED!!! (Xbox Live)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam Posten, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Just got an overnight from MS's independant distributors, with Whacked, Moto GP and the new software with updated Dahboard and connectivity test.

They also sent a SMOKING cool Tshirt.

Sam
    Kadath on EQ and XBLive

2. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Kadath,

Mine was on the porch at lunch. The shirt is cool, isn't it? I plan on going online with MotoGP tonight if anyone is interested. I believe up to 16 people can be in one race (iirc).

10:00 pm Eastern time

Bryan

3. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

damn you!!!

i want my kit!!
    (I also want the damn email that tells me what to do to get it!!)

hows whacked by the way?

4. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    I got the new stuff yesterday and played the games today. Wacked was, well wacky to say the least. Not really my cup of tea.
    MotoGP was busy this afternoon. No wonder there were hardly any players for Fever. I raced a couple of races. Fun game but I think it would get old for me fast. Neat with all of the other live players. LOTS of crashes into walls and other players for me. [​IMG]
    See ya,
    Glenn

5. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

How many people can race at a time in MotoGP?

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

7. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

8. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOTS of crashes into walls and other players for me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>That's what I've been afraid of. I'm very excited about the concept of playing against others, but I'm afraid the newbies who race wrecklessly and collide with others could ruin many races.

Well I suggest that you not play then because it is full of us newbies. However I will say that most of the time I was so far back from the leaders that I pretty much stayed out of their way.

Glenn

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Just played my first game of Whacked, not bad for free!

Played against the 'Unabonger'.

/cackle

Will try Moto GP soon!

Sam

10. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Well if there is a worse Moto GP player than me, I sure don't want to meet him. Damn that is one hard game. I have yet to make it around a single lap without wiping on one of the hairpin turns. Yeesh!

(And that is during time trials...I don't want to go against real people until I can at least stay on the bike for an entire lap...)

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I have yet to crash less than 6 times on a lap.

Sam

12. Dave Falasco

Well I can honestly say that nothing teaches like experience. I am by no means an ace at this game, but a few times around each of the three tracks in time trials helped me learn how to make it around the courses in one piece, and then playing against a roomful of other people for a few hours has helped me come up to speed (so to speak) in a hurry! I have yet to win a race against an entire room, but usually finish in the top 10 now. All I can say is to keep plugging away--getting from bad to mediocre at this game is really pretty easy. Now, getting from mediocre to good is probably a lot harder, but at least I'm having fun now.

A few tips--brake BEFORE entering a turn. This was the biggest thing I learned. If you wait until you are in a turn to apply your brakes, you are grass-bound. Also, I use my rear brakes 95% of the time, and my front brakes only when I am going way too fast and need to scrub off speed in a hurry. You can hit your rear brakes and slide the back of your bike around a turn a bit. I also feather the brakes, rather than leaning on them. And pick a bike that has good cornering over one with speed or acceleration. I use one of the Red Bull bikes.

It only takes a few times around each track to get an idea of where the really nasty turns are, and a little more time to get a feel for when you are going to dump your bike on a turn. Time trials helped me out a lot, because it's just you and your bike and you can learn the tracks without worrying about wiping other people out. Stick with it--there's nothing like racing against 15 other human competitors!

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Hmm - I've yet to get my copy - anyone else got get theirs yet?

I finally got back on line yesterday with some Fever - and picked up my first win! Yeah!

14. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

15. Dave Falasco

Thanks, Scott. I just mentioned a few things that got me over the hump from "crashing on every turn" to "crashing once or twice in a 3-lap race", and I freely concede that my technique has lots of room for improvement [​IMG]. I appreciate the tips on front-braking...I'll give that a shot tonight to see how it goes. I could definitely use more control in the turns, especially the hairpin ones. I end up having to slow down quite a bit to negotiate those, while better riders seem to blow right through them without missing a beat.

16. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

practice,practice.....sure is fun though.comes real quick if you keep at it.play with the different configs.i was trying manual tranny all this time and doing o.k. but decided to switch to automatic just to free up some buttons(rear view being one of them,i get to use it a lot more now) and one less thing to worry about.
    most important is to make it out of the first turn alive,practice your starts!
    masood,believe me there are some smoking players on already,and you can set up your own room limiting people to your average lap times or have certain search criterias for a room.some rooms have collisions turned off so the other drivers don't affect you.and the newbies are only really a problem at the start of the race,if your that good you'll only see them again when you lap them.in my opinion nothing beats other human racers and i have had the best time in a long time with gaming(except halo).i am fully hooked and spend any time i can racing till i get the shakes and twittering eyes.