I'm very scared at this point - - I've been completely deaf since last night.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

For those that don't know my background, I was hard of hearing with one ear completely gone with a 50-70dB loss in my right ear. With my brand-new hearing aid that I just got in December, I could hear so many new things compared to my previous ten year old hearing aid. Anyway, on to what happened. [​IMG]

Really weird thing happened. It all started yesterday morning when I hit my head (it wasn't even that big of a blow, either; I've had harder blows to my head without any effect on my hearing whatsoever. That's caused me to be nicknamed "bonehead" by my uncle and grandpa -- we're the three boneheads in my family. [​IMG] ). Immediately afterwards I noticed an echo-type hearing with my ear (it was my ear -- not my hearing aid as it occurred while my hearing aid was off). The worst thing is that yesterday I was supposed to begin training for my new job!! Argh!!

Anyway, I went to have my doctor clean out my ear (yes, I use q-tips after I get out of the shower, but I still get wax buildup in there) as it's been in need of a cleaning lately. However, afterwards, my ear begins to exhibit severe ringing. I know it wasn't the fault of the cleaning as I've had these cleanings done numerous times and nothing like this has ever happened before. My guess is the wax may have caused pressure buildup in there for some time. How much? I don't know.

My hearing began to gradually fade until this morning when I can't hear anything even with my hearing aid at full volume. I can tell that there seems to be something in my inner ears (fluid, to the best of my knowledge), as when I hold my nose and blow very slightly nothing happens (as opposed to when before, I could feel air escaping). My guess is fluid may be blocking the soundwaves from entering into my inner ear and processing the soundwaves.

If so, then all I need is some medicine to help eliminate the fluid. If not, and if it's something more serious...oh, man, I sincerely hope not. I don't want to lose my hearing this early in life!! [​IMG]

Oh, well, if I do -- at least I know where to come to sell my Home Theater gear!! [​IMG]

EDIT: Yes, I do have a doctor's appointment this morning so we'll find out what's going on.

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Log off from the computer and GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

They may be able to do something about it if they catch it early enough!

3. Brian Harnish

Nathan- I didn't edit my post early enough, but I do have an appointment in less than two hours. We'll find out what the hell is going on here.

4. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Scary stuff, good luck to you Brian!

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Wow, I hope everything comes out okay for you Brian.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I did have a similar problem this past August when I had a severe ear infection. My ears became shot and I had an extremely hard time hearing anything. After getting the puss and wax cleaned out and the infection cleared up, the hearing came back soon after. Hope everything goes well for you.

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I seriously feel for you Brian. Hopefully this is something that can be remedied.

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Good. I hope they are able to find/correct the culprit.

For a minute there I thought this was going to be one of those threads where the poster has no business being on the computer, but should be dealing with their emergency instead. It seems like they are getting more and more common.

It won't be long before we start seeing threads with titles like:

"Well, I smell smoke. Guess my house is burning."

and:

"Wow, I've lost a lot of blood."

9. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I hate to nit-pick, but whenever anyone tells me this I cringe. You are not supposed to put q-tips IN your ear. Period. You may have aggravated the problem you have by doing this. The q-tip can push all that wax right against your eardrum and cause all kinds of problems. If you want to clean your ears, use a lavage. It's a rubbery thing shaped like a turkey baster. Shoots a stream of water (and/or a ear wax solvent). It is much safer. I think you would like to preserve your hearing as long as you can. Hope all is well.

James

10. Brian Harnish

Well, just got back. The doc couldn't find anything wrong. No pressure in the ears and everything seemed physically normal. He did say it could be a blocked eustachian tube (where they can't see it), so he gave me some medicine that should clear it up.

I'll keep everyone updated on how things are going.

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Best wishes, Brian. I hope you regain your hearing quickly [​IMG]

12. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Scary stuff Brian. Good luck with that.

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Good luck Brian! We'll hope things get well.

14. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I hope it works out, Brian. I know how devastating ear problems can be.

15. Brian Harnish

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Well, my hearing is slightly better. It feels more normal and less echoey and I can at least tell when someone is speaking to me now. However, the volume is still quite lacking. I'm headed over to the audiologist today to find out how my hearing aid is functioning as well. My doc also said that it could be a possible unfortunate combination of both hearing aid malfunction and blocked eustachian tube.

Talk about a really weird coincidence! [​IMG]

16. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Glad it's getting better [​IMG] And thank goodness it doesn't seem to have been caused by anything irreparable [​IMG]

17. Brian Harnish

Okay, here's an update.

Went to the audiologist today to have my hearing tested. It's like an almost complete reversal of one I had a few months ago for my hearing aid (which is not good). My hearing loss before was in the range of 50-75 dB across a range of frequencies (I don't recall the exact frequency numbers). However, today, it showed a 60 dB loss! Which means my hearing loss is now 110 dB, with one frequency remaining the same (this explains why I can hear some things like paper rustling and doors closing but everything else is gone).

We went to another ENT recommended by the audiologist (not the one I went to yesterday) and he prescribed some steroids for me saying they should help if there's inflammation (he believes strongly there's inflammation somewhere due to what I described). Apparently the medicine my other ENT gave me (allegra and Nasacort AQ nasal spray) won't do much. [​IMG]

The new ENT wants to do a blood work and MRI to rule out tumors and other conditions that may be exacerbating this problem. Damn. Damn. Damn. I really hope this isn't anything permanent. I want to hear music again. I haven't been able to hear music or watch TV or movies with sound for three days. This is becoming rather stressful and worrysome for me. One thing I do know for certain, no matter what: I WILL hear again!!! The only question is when. [​IMG]

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Sorry to hear it, Brian. I hope your doctor helps you achieve a full recovery! [​IMG]

19. Brian Harnish

YES!!! There has been a significant improvement in my hearing as of this morning! I can hear on the phone, and everything has less of an echo to it. This is the best I've heard since Monday when this all started.

The steroids are helping! [​IMG]

20. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Brian, glad to hear your hearing is coming back. Now the bad news:

I'm on a diet just like you; a couple of weeks ago my back did one of it's periodic SPROING!!!!s, and the pain would not go away. The only thing that would help was prednisone; almost magically I felt better, but even on 1100 calories a day, I gained 5 pounds back in a week.

Only after discontinuing the pred did I drop the weight back.