What's new

I'm trying to locate some old, yellowed tape. (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to locate some for a while. Does anyone know where I might be able to locate some? I look on ebay regularly and even tried a couple of shops here in town. A lot of people have old tape tins but not the tape that was inside.

I would also be open to suggestions on how to make new tape look old. I still have to be able to use it, though.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Jereme, from reading around on google, it appears that tape yellows because the adhesive, especially those based on tackified rubber systems, breaks down due to exposure to ultraviolet light. I would assume that if you exposed ordinary, new tape to high levels of ultraviolet light, you could get it to yellow pretty quickly.

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information Leila. I will give that a go and see what I can come up with.

As for what I'm doing...

I'm reproducing a movie prop. I have everything except the tape. :)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Some flea markets have shops that buy merchandise from stores that are going out of business, including office supply stores. Then those office supplies sit on the shelves at the flea market for years.

Perhaps one of them would have some old tape.

Leila's idea seems interesting. You could take the tape to a tanning salon!

Jay Taylor

JayV

Supporting Actor
How about soaking the tape in tea? I guess you'd have to let it dry and then glue it on your item.

Just a thought.

-j

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Jereme, are you still looking for some? I managed to find a roll that is nicely yellowed with age. Email me if you want it sent to you.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks