What's new

I'm totally amazed at the ignorance . . . (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I'm totally amazed at the ignorance of 90% of the salesmen that I have talked to that sell $3K HT's.

I called EVERY stored in the Madison phine book that listed they sold HT's. There was only ONE that knew what a Calibration disk was. I went into 4 Super Stores (BEst Buy, AmericanTV, . . . .) and asked and 1 of the 7 salesmen had heard of one. 3 said they were not needed.

How can people sell systems that cost $3000 and not know about tune-up disks.

One KID at Best Buy in the DVD section knew what they were and actually had one and said it sucked they didn't have any.

The Only place that had any was Paragon Video that had 2 but they were store copies.

IS HT that new? Or are stores just missing the boat. I find it amazing that Blockbuster does not have them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Getting good advise on audio or video equipment at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Blockbuster, etc. is a crap shoot. Most of the employees know nothing about the products in the stores. You will get lucky occasionally and find a bright person who knows something, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

My advise -- never go into one of those places looking for product information. Always know exactly what you want to buy and never expect more from the employees than just getting the boxes down from the overhead shelves.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I can relate. I looked all around Madison, not for information but just product and decent support, and came up with very very little. I have been looking at HT equipment when on business trips to Chicago to make up for it but is sure is one big PITA. If you do end up finding a good source for HT equipment, please let me know.
Why make it ugly just because you can?

BobHaymond

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new but have gotten advice here and have gotten ALL of my stuff on the internet. i stick with reputable on-line sellers even if a few $ more. I've gotten TV, DVD, A/V, speakers, AVIA disk, and am having cables made. I did go to HomeDepot for speaker wire but certainly did not ask them about it!
BH:D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah.. Wisconsin isn't a hotbed of HT technology I'm afraid... particularily the Madison area. Flanner's here in Milwaukee might have what you are looking for. Also, there's a new HT dealer that opened in Bayshore mall apparently.. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet... in fact, I'm not sure of their name.. I will do a little recon and let you guys know.

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just purchased the Avia disk over the internet. I paid $34.95 plus a few dollars for shipping.
I already have the Video Essentials DVD but I just had to get the Avia too !
By the way, I am tempted to purchase a Princeton Graphics A30HD TV. I can get it pre-owned for less than 1/2 the $4000 original purchase price.
Anyone have one?
Tony Mr.500 Granatelli

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry Wright - I ordered AVIA yesterday! I'm more concerned with the Audio then Video and I've heard/read that AVIA is better on the Audio then the others.

The reason I was calling everybody was I waht it NOW - FOR THIS WEEKEND not NEXT weekend.

But I must wait.

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I got my Video Essentials DVD right in Best Buy in Madison. You need to look for things yourself, and not rely on people over the phone. They never know anything.

Brian

Jerry Wright

Agent
Glad to hear that Rod. Patience will pay off. You're going to love what you're going to be able to do with that disc. Best Wishes

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Buckstead - was it West Side or East Side. east only had a 9.99 piece of junk in their Special Interest Area and the guy looked it up on the computer to see if they had any.

O'Well!

I love behind the Crown Plaza (sort of) and know the East Side Store pretty well. Could not find it Monday night!

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, if you have a few haunts in the Milwaukee area that carry front projectors I would love to know about them. I am looking for an LCD or DLP front projector but don't want to buy one sight unseen or without being able to compare some different makes and models.

Kevin Kopish

Auditioning
The Happy Medium (on State Street) sells calibration discs. They keep them in their glass display cabinets. They may or may not actually know what they are for though.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
LOL = I called them and they said they didn't have them. I'll check tomorrow at noon anyway!

Thanks!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i work at a best buy and i've only seen AVIA there once. although, i've never seen video essentials, that new sound & vision test disc is usually in stock since it is quite new.

i'm totally hooked on home audio now but i refuse to work in that section of the store (i work in media) because i don't like pressuring for those warranties. sometimes they make it sound like your electronics will spontaneously combust without monster clean power. of course, even if you do tell them you have a power conditioner, they still harass you about the warranty. sometimes i wish i did work in audio though. it breaks my heart every time i see a bose 3-2-1 system go out the door.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Yeah the last time I got something at Best buy was a $185 steering wheel and I was pressured into a 2 year replacement plan. I got the plan, the steering wheel broke within 1 year but lost the paper.

I heard from a best buy manager that ppl are supposed to "Ask" about the warranty ahead of time so the best buy employees never have to bring it up. Then tell them you don't want it at the end.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
one time i thought it'd be fun to ask a guy in the software dept about DVD-A/SACD. he actually seemed to kind of know his stuff, until he looked at the Metallica - Black Album DVD-A and blasted it for 'false advertising.' he said it wasn't a true DVD-A b/c it was only 24 bit and the DVD-A spec was really 32 bit.
i walked off chuckling. :)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
It was on the west side Best Buy. I bought it 2 or 3 years ago though, so I'm only guessing that they still carry it.

Brian

Ryan_SS

Grip
I would recommend doing what I did and buy the New Sound and Vision disk and use it until the Avia comes in thats what I did

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks