I'm tiring of the new edition DVD game-aren't you?.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Brooks, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I'm getting a little tired of waiting what seems like forever for my favorite movies to come out on DVD, purchasing them, and then having them reissued in a better edition. I don't even have what I consider a large collection, and here is a list of DVD's that I already have, that have been reissued for one reason or another:

USUAL SUSPECTS

TOTAL RECALL

BASIC INSTINCT

MEN IN BLACK

X-FILES

CRIMES OF PASSION

REPLACEMENT KILLERS

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Heck, even QUEEN: WE WILL ROCK YOU was reissued in a better version.

Now, I understand there will be newer versions of:

BLADE RUNNER

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

BLAZING SADDLES

POLTERGEIST

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Admittedly, some are definitely better versions the second time around; but why can't the studios get it right for us the first time, and not make us feel like they're just trying to rip us off.

(And, boy, what I'd give for an anamorphic original PLANET OF THE APES, or any release of SOYLENT GREEN!)

What do you think? I think it's time for another petition!

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm afraid I cannot agree.

While it isn't nice for them to put out bare bones editions, then release a SE a couple of months later in an attempt to get you to bite twice, that's not really the case for most of the titles you mention.

Several of these were released in the early days of DVD and can now be presented in far superior versions given the advances to the technology. I'm all for that.

3. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I am an avid collector, well over 1,000 titles. Once I have a movie, I NEVER repurchase it because it comes out in a special edition.

The only way I will repurchase a film is because it is a flipper (replaced Sleuth and still waiting for the new Amadeus among others).

4. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I am all for the second releases of DVD if they truly are something worthy of being a special edition. One or two features of a better menu or still gallery, hell no...deleted scenes, unrated version and the like are all reasons why I will get the second.

Like in our house, we have both Silence of The Lambs...the Criterion version and the latest Special Edition. We are keeping both.

But in cases like the upcoming Lord of The Rings...I will wait for the ultimate version to come out in November...I won't be buying the basic one that is coming first. I will rent if I want to watch it that bad.

I really don't think that people would have such a hard time with a second edition if say these studios were to do a kick-back for buying the second. Like what Disney does if you upgrade from VHS to DVD. They could give you $5 bucks back easily.

Now...what will be a pain in the ass is if say, like what Paramount is doing witht he Star Trek series. I am not against the upcoming special editions of the series, even though we have purchased most of the first editions that have already come out. What I will be against though is say we purchase all the Special Editions of the series the second time around and then they come back after they are done with that and say we are now going to release a Special SPECIAL Edition. Case in point also with another Paramount series, Friday the 13th. I will have no issue if they release Unrated Special Versions of the films after they release the final two they have in the series. I will buy them all over again to have them done properly...I have made sure that I have money wise supported Paramount on this issue pertaining to that certain series.

In closing...revisiting the title isn't a bad thing in all...just make sure it is worth the while for both us to buy and the studio to put out...And just remember...no one has put a gun to your head to make you buy any of these titles.

5. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

either sell the bare bones on ebay or do more reserarch before buying. is there going to be an Ali se

6. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I've upgraded some of my DVDs when better versions came out, but not many. There were far more titles that I was holding out for (such as Mad Max, The Terminator, The Usual Suspects, and Highlander) because I expected that they would be brought "up to spec" in the near future. So I refused to buy them until those inevitable S.E. versions arrived. Now that they have, I've bought them and I'm very happy with the results. (I'm still refusing to buy The Road Warrior because I know this title will be treated properly some day. I can wait.)
    It takes an awful lot of willpower to do this, though. And a certain amount of research, as Ryan pointed out.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Most of these "SE's" are not really needed and are a waste of time for the studios.

However, the SE's SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, BLADE RUNNER

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

BLAZING SADDLES

POLTERGEIST

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

are kind of needed because the original DVD's just were not as good as they could. In fact, all of these titles came out in 1997/98 and really lacked in either quality or supplements.

Still...the studios NEED to work on never-on-DVD movies first. It's nice that WB is doing an SE of Blazing Saddles, Fox is doing anamorphic POTA, and Paramount is doing an added extras version of Khan, but they're sitting on lots of silent movies which aren't even on LD or VHS readily anymore!

I'll take a DVD of the silent Ben-Hur before Blazing Saddles: SE, thank you.