What's new

I'm tired of companies playing "stupid" (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
A couple weeks ago the girlfriend ordered cable TV on the phone since we just moved. We both had agreed due to our viewing habits that basic (and the cheapest) cable would be best. I rarely watch TV and her favorite shows are on the big networks anyway that are covered in this basic package.

She called and asked for basic cable and what she got instead was basic and Tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 which comes close to $50.00 a month. I didn't know this until she was off the phone when I asked her how much it was going to be a month. She said $50.00 and I thought thats too much for basic cable. Since she didn't really know any better she unknowingly got basic and all the tiers, even though she had asked the rep on the phone for basic cable. I got pissed off and called back and asked the lady who answered for basic cable and what i got for a reply was "that will be $29.95 a month". Still seemed too expensive and so I asked what that included and she said Basic + Tier 1. I said "No, I want BASIC, no tiers, just BASIC" She then changed it to basic and when I asked how much a month she said $19.95. Now this is more like it.

I'm tired of companies that pull this shit off. They knew what we wanted but of course try to sell us the costlier cable package for more money. I know a lot of companies pull this kind of crap but its getting pathetic when even cable/phone companies try these cheap tactics to get you into their more expensive packages. Misleading the customer so they can earn more money. I know too that the phone reps are told by superiors to try to get customers to purchase the more expensive packages but what happened to ASKING the customer if they were interested instead of using deceit?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know it's illegal and they aren't SUPPOSED to be doing this anymore, but the grocery stores used to charge MORE for certain items hoping that most people wouldn't notice and not complain...thus, the store gets extra $$. :rolleyes

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
$19.95 STILL sounds like a lot. I'm with Comcast and their "limited basic" analog service is 9.95 a month. Are you sure you aren't getting duped into buying basic digital?

Actually I just saw you're in Canada, so maybe that's just the price for it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In my area, Comcast's basic runs around $12.95/month. I'm still on their extended basic and haven't upgraded to any of their digital packages yet.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Cable has always been good at doing that. I got a call from mine a few months back asking if I wanted to upgrade to HD, so I asked her how long the DVI cable was. After she replied, "Huh?", I told her that she could call me back when she had that answer.

You really have to be on top of companies that sort of have monopolies. I think $20 is too high. Basic was designed to provide basic service to retired people. Look over the first bill closely.

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Our basic cable is $30 a month, which to me is too expensive for the crap that is on TV these days. Of course, in order to get the only thing I'd want to watch (hockey) you have to pay another $8 for the premier package.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Yep, BASIC cable should be somewhere around $12-14 American. But for that I get only ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, PBS, WGN, Weather Channel, and a shopping channel (duh!).

If all of the locals were in the same direction and I had digital TV capability, I'd just put up an antenna.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
The only calbe co in my area is Comcast who I hate. I moved recenlty and canelled tham cause I was going to get Dish or Direct with DVR.

Come to find out I would lose some of the DVR features without a landline (which I wont get) so looks like Im going back to Comcast. :frowning:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
For that $19.95 Cdn. we get 33 stations although probably just 20 - 25 are worth watching. But nonetheless plenty of selection for us since we don't watch much.

This is with Shaw cable. I was re reading my first post and I think the best way to describe what the cable company tried doing is negative billing, but not quite in the true sense. They want to start you off with all the tiers to begin with...they probably have studies that show even if people didnt intend for having all these channels for $50.00 a month once they get them all most probably don't call back to downgrade.

Shaw tried this in 1995, some new stations were available and everyone got them for a month or two for free. But it was up to the customer to cancel them after the free period otherwise they were to be charged - negative billing. There was a huge backlash and they threw out the idea (I remember it being on the national News).

What they tried doing to us on the phone is basicly the same thing.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have Shaw cable too and I cancelled all cable TV services but kept my hispeed internet w/extreme (6.4megabits/second down, 1.0 megabit up, 30gb/month). And I couldn't figure out why I still had to pay an extra $50. When I called, the lady told me they are billing me a month in advance now...so I pay next month's bill this month. Grrrrr.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Oh yeah, they do that to. When our cable was installed last week we gave them the hook up fee and 2 months cable fee. Why they charge an extra month in advance I have no clue. Probably just another way to mess with our minds.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is why I wish cable was "a la carte" style. There's probably only 12-15 channels I watch on a regular basis, but in order to get them, I have to subscribe to the Extended Satellite package.

david stark

Second Unit

Here's another vote for that. I watch one channel from the basic package, 2 occasionally from the extended package, 1 'speciality' channel that I pay for separately and a couple in the HD package. I must go and cancel my movie channel subscription now I use a DVD rental place...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This is very comman. Normally it is because of how their billing system is setup though. It isn't just to screw you though. :rolleyes

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Max, take a look at your bill just to be sure. I cancelled everything but my internet and Shaw still charged me for digital basic + internet. My first new bill was still $60 eventhough the work order said internet only. All fixed now but doesn't hurt to double check.

Mike

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I wish that you could design your own package. There are few channels that I enjoy (CBS, ABC, NBC, HGTV, Discovery, TWC).

That would elliminate quite a bit of channel surfing, something I hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks