I'm THIS close to making the leap... help me with a reciever!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Frank_M, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all -

Pretty close to jumping in to the world of XM. Love my iPod but this would be more so for other things.. especially baseball!

I contacted XM about providing a "lifetime" service option like Sirius is doing, but they have no plans for that. Too bad.. it somehow makes things seem a little better. Like lifetime on TiVo.

Anyway, if I do make the leap, I've had trouble sorting through all the receivers. The most important function for me will be portability. I'd like to be able to listen outside during the summer, by the pool, at the beach... etc.

And then also at home, via headphones, and lastly in the car.

I had looked at that great deal on the Delphi XMMyFi... but I've read so many horrible reviews saying it is not actually very good as a portable receiver in terms of getting a good signal.

Any other suggestions, or comments on that unit. That deal Ron posted is VERY tempting. And someone (me!) has a birthday coming up and the wife is looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Art Morales

Art Morales Agent

Well it's not one of the new portable's but I've had my Skyfy2 for two weeks now and it's the greatest thing since TIVO. I'm planning to get a boombox for outside use and a docking cradle for home use. Good Luck.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Frank,

I would think the biggest problem with ALL the
    walkman portables from BOTH services is reception.
    Let's face it -- if you aren't outside or near a
    window, you just aren't going to get great reception.

The SKyFi2 is probably the best out of all the
    portable receivers as far as picking up signal.
    The only problem is, it's not a walkman. It must
    sit in either a CAR or HOME cradle. If you want it
    for both inside your home and car, you will have to
    pick up both cradles (CAR KIT/HOME KIT).

If you want to wait, you may want to think about
    the Pioneer Inno/Samsung Helix portable units.

Let us know what you decide to do.

4. Frank_M

Ron -

Thanks. I think I want it for walking around. Not docked. If I'm somewhere where I can dock it... I've got other music choices at better fidelity.

And in terms of the baseball package, if I'm home... I'll be watching on MLB Extra Innings, not listening.

The new units you're talking about also play MP3s, right? If I didn't already have my iPod, that would interest me... but as it is, it doesn't.

So now I'm really not sure. Seems there is little/no difference between the Delphi, Tao and Pioneer in terms of reception as a "walk man".

Just might have to either decide to try it, or pass.

I have to say though, that deal on the Delphi you posted... is calling to me. :)

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

6. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

I have the new clip antenna btw i still get dropouts once in a blue moon but not often enough to complain about.

7. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

My wife has a SkyFiII and it definently is not a clip on/walk around portable.

8. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

The problem with the current xm2go's is they're absolutely gigantic. Wait a month or two for the Pioneer Inno or Samsung Helix. They're both about the size of an iPod mini, have the latest and greatest antenna, can record about 50 hours of XM, and/or sync music from your PC.

If you absolutely have to have XM right now, get a Roady for $50.

9. Frank_M

Well, the only reason I want it is for portabilty.. so the Roady isn't for me.

Plus, those newer models seem a) pricey and b) a lot of that price seems tied into the mp3 storage... which I don't want.

And... LOL.... c) I'm pretty sure my wife already ordered me the Delphi for my birthday, so a) and b) are kind of irrelevent. :)

By the way, I see a lot of stuff about signal strength and repeaters. Is there a thread anywhere identifying the location of repeaters and/or discussion of signal strength in various states/cities/towns?

I know from experience that at the AVS forum that is a big topic with relation to OTA high def, but hadn't come accross something similar with regard to XM.

10. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I use a Tao XM2go, and I don't think it's huge. It's about as tall/wide as my 3rd Gen Ipod, and as thick as maybe 2 of my ipods. I have the headphones that have an antenna built in to them and get fair reception in my house and great reception outside. I also bought the armband carrying case for it - its great for biking and walking.

I love my Tao, have no MP3 playback desire and you can't beat the price.

I also have the Altec Lansing imx2 flat panel speaker dock which I think works beautifully.