I'm thinking of holding off on my HDTV purchase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Hurst, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst Stunt Coordinator

I have been debating on purchase a new amp or HDTV monitor upgrade. Funds and my tastes in gear make it so that I have to upgrade/build in steps. After reading all the posts on 5C and CP on this site and others, I'm thinking of delaying the TV purchase in favor of the amp.
    I know I will be missing out on DVD's on a widescreen but it comes down to one question, In x years will I be satisfied with my TV purchase if all I can watch is 480P. My answer is NO, 480P is not HD. There are starting to be competing ways (DVI, FireWire, HDMI?) to get the digital content into your set and if you guess wrong, to bad . [​IMG] Droping another $2-3K is unacceptable to me.
    E-mails to the members of 5C (Mits, Hitachi, Toshiba, Pana, Sony)has yeiled very little other than quote like we support DVI (what ever that means), Mits has even gone their own way and is supporting FireWire. Right now I feel like my $3K would be better invested with Enron.
    If I am way off base and just paranoid please correct me. I would like to purchase a new monitor this year but I don't want to waste my money.

2. Todd Wall

Todd Wall Auditioning

Yo, I don't mean to be blunt. LOL, maybe I do? Who knows, I don't. Ever heard of this?
    "You can shop yourself out of whatever you are buying!"
    Ever heard of this?
    "Just do it!"
    Get out there and buy the first unit you come across. Forget about whats on it. Forget about what's not on it. Just buy you one. Technology is moving so fast, that we will never have the latest, greatest. There will always be something comming right around the coner.
    SO just do it!
    T[​IMG]

3. Michael Hurst

Well I'm not that concerned about the latest and greatest, I just want my TV to function properly in x years and fits my needs and wallet today.

4. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking about this for a while myself and I've decided to wait for DLP or D-ILA to come down in price in the next year or two. Main reason is that buying now, you pretty much have to go for the monstro-box but in a year or so, it seems as though you will be able to get one of these for just a little extra money without sacrificing too much performance. Also, I would hope that any of these competing standards issues will be resolved by then. . .

Tim

5. Michael Hurst

I'm not really waiting for new formats like 1080P or displaying 720P natively or for plasma, LCD, LCoS to mature. I just want to make sure my set will be able to display the formats it was intended to when I bought it.

6. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I am in the same boat, Michael. Try and hold off until at least this winter to see what is released. Frankly I would not buy a set without DVI and possibly FireWire, from what I have read FireWire is useless as a video source as it cannot transfer enough data/second to handle HDTV. If I am wrong correct me here, I have only just started readong up on this stuff in the last several days.

7. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

I regrettably have to second that Michael. I too was in the market for a new tv for my bedroom and was contemplating a widescreen until I ran across this article. I so wanted to embrace HD but was very surprised at what I read. I'm not completely turned off, just a little cautious with my $2-5K and now reading as much as I can to try to predict when the time is right for me. My pockets are shallow so I can't afford to "just do it". I truly envy those who have such means. If your financially humbled like me, when it comes to such large purchases, it might be prudent to be as informed as possible then make the decision when it is right for you.

8. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Buy the TV and if the technology changes to make your set obsolete come here to Manhattan and a korean shop owner will sell you a "fix" for about $100. Theres nothing guarenteed in life except that a candy store owner has something under the counter that will correct any technical crap that greedy corporate america will throw at ya...for Gods sake the US military cannot keep secret ops transmissions off Brazilian satelite feeds!
    This all falls under the same catagory as the 'all sports on pay-per-view' warning that i've been hearing for 10 years.
    The longer you wait for the latest technology the longer you have old technology in your home.

9. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes ... we don't see people rushing out to buy all those Pentium 100 computers for $100 do we? Those that procrastinate and wait for the next big thing will still be waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting ...

There is always something else on the horizon that will obsolete what you have today ...

I am more focused on enjoying what is here today ... as my time and enjoyment now are more precious than in the future ...

Regards

10. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

I am in the process of buying a widescreen TV. Maybe it will be outdated in a couple years but I could be hit by a bus by then.

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I know where you are coming from, Michael, since there is no crystal ball that will tell us how things are going shake out, but I think alot of what you are reading on the internet are worst case scenarios. Sure, the possibility is there, but if history is any indicator, those kind of radical shifts take time.

I have to agree with alot of the other members that if you play the waiting game, you'll never get to enjoy the present.

I bought my 16x9 HD RPTV 9 months ago and even if they changed to DVI tomorrow, I would still consider my purchase as worth it for all the stuff I have enjoyed in that time. Besides, you should have OTA HD with a set you buy now no matter what happens.

Kenny,

I think firewire can handle up to 400 MB/s, which is plenty since broadcast HD runs under 20 MB/s. I have heard of complaints about firewire for other reasons, but no very compelling arguments, IMO.

DJ

12. Jon Mahoney

Jon Mahoney Stunt Coordinator

Also dont forget Firewire 2 is already starting to show itself on a few products. Firewire 2 is capable of aprox. 800mbps which should be enough to handle anything.

13. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I'll never know why they don't just use an existing standard - RGB. If it is capable of handling 1536p on my 22" monitor, it should bloody well be able to handle 540p!
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but times have changed since NTSC, and we should go for better integration of TV's and computers since computers exist right now, and i don't see RGB going anywhere.