I'm thinking of going front projection...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_Swanson, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

What do you all think of front projectors? I am thinking of buying an LT150. This would be for the primary TV room of the house, which means a lot of 4:3 viewing. I am thinking of a 96" screen about 12 - 14 feet from my seating positions. I can control light relatively well. I will use a fixed wall mounted screen. I will use DVD (non-prog for now), cable, DirectTV and XBox. HDTV is not going to be on this box for now --- I have that on my Mitsu 65907. :) So here's my questions:

1) Will I need a line doubler? DVDO or something else?

2) Is this a good idea period given my expected uses?

3) Again, given the usage, is this a good projector? Should I be considering something else in the same price range? (not $500 more!)

4) Any comments on this idea are welcome.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

If you are not going to use a progressive player or an HTPC, a line doubler is pretty necessary for that size screen with the LT150. Don't get me wrong, I love my LT150, but with out a line doubler, it will have a lot of artifacts for TV viewing.
    If you are handy with computers, an HTPC is the way to go. Programs like DScaler turn your PC into a doubler.
    Best source of info for FP stuff is www.avsforum.com

3. JohnFisher

JohnFisher Auditioning

I'm confused. I am very new to HT. I've been trying to learn about many aspects of HT. I plan on building a log home in a year or so and want a theater in the basement. I've learned there is a lot of pre-planning that need to be done as far as room size, screen size etc., etc. I read the following in an article linked from the front page of Projectorcentral.com: