What's new

I'm the "Letter of the Week" on Roy Disney's Save Disney.com website! (1 Viewer)

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Well spotted Randy. When Eisner and Wells first arrived on the Disney scene, many good things happened to the company. Over time, and with the loss of Wells, the quest turned to corporate greed. That strategy works for Wal-Mart, but not for Walt Disney.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
We have a saying here... "By the mouth dies the fish", meaning it's our own words that often do us in.

I'm just sayin' ;)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Nice letter Randy. For those looking to get an update.. Eisener was voted out, so now what? Will we stop seeing these cheap sequels to big budget Disney flicks? Will Roy Disney get back with the company? Haven't read anything recent after the stockholders' meeting.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Eisner's being phased out isn't going to take things in a more "creative" direction. I would probably die of a heart attack, at the age of 22, if a single stockholder besides Roy Disney said "these crappy but profitable sequels to animation classics have got to go." And I'm fairly tenuous with Roy.

The Michale Eisner backlash is the result of ABC becoming the joke of the networks, the flailing grip on the theme parks, and the inability to strike a deal with Pixar. He's also recieved some emnity over the inability to set up a clear line of succession, which ironically kept him from being kicked out for so long in the first place.

I have a feeling whoever will be in charge in a year well make us nostalgiac for Mike.

I think if Roy Disney wants to keep the company's "legacy" alive, he's going to have point pragmatic alternatives, not turn it into a pissing match.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Well, that, and the unrelenting feeling that $5 of every ticket at WDW somehow ends up directly in his pocket, due to some back-office stock option deal.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Eisner wasn't voted out. There was no one running against him. A large percentage of stockholders (but not a majority) simply withheld their support by not rubber-stamping his re-election.

Hasn't changed anything as far as I can see, and probably won't for the foreseeable future until the Board of Directors rejoins the real world.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Eisner is exactly where he was before; it's just that George Mitchell, former senator (and creative genious behind such films and rides as.. oh wait, none) is now Chairman of the Board. Mitchell spent most of his time making an impassioned plea for Michael to stay, and received the second most votes withheld of anyone on the board (25%) so.. I don't see how there has been any change at all.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The most creative/risky thing Disney has done in the past 10-20 years has been Pixar. Nothing else has come close to the risks Walt took when he was around.

I can just imagine all of the "Cool" things that have been shot down by management because they thought it may not have been profitable enough.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Such as the cel animation department? All it would take to completely revitalize that format is to come up with better, more original stories and characters. But, instead, Eisner opts to put a zillion people out of work because the last few hand-drawn features didn't earn two million bucks each. Sad.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Why show any creativity when you can just simply remake all of your old classics using computer animation. My jaw almost broke through the floor when I heard that Eisner wanted to do this. A lot of people over at Disney lemented those horrible direct to video sequels, of course most of them were actually artists and the like and so were promptly fired for exercising free thought and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks