I'm taking the plunge: Getting a gamecube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, May 24, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Well I've decided tomorrow I'm gonna pickup a gamecube. I've already got a PS2 and I love it but the gamecube has some great games coming out for it. I have been toying with the idea of buying a second console but wasn't sure. I've been borrowing my brother's XBox for a few weeks while he's in the process of moving and rented and finished halo. No other XBox exclusive game did much for me. I checked out the E3 lineup for the cube and te box and the cube seems more compelling to me. Metroid, Zelda, RE 0 and 4, Eternal Darkness, and so on. So it looks like I'll be picking up a black cube, resident evil and rogue leader tomorrow.(wanna take advantage of the bestbuy 15 off two games deal) As far as memory cards, if I'm not gonna be playing sports games on my cube, can I get by with the 59 block card or am I gonna have to pickup a 250 block one in june? Also, what about an S-video cable? Are those easy to find for the cube? I had to sell off a few PS2 games and DVDs but I think I'm going to enjoy the cube. This will be the first nintendo system I've owned since the SNES. I'm looking forward to playing Zelda again!

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The 'Cube is great... you will not regret it when you are playing the re-made Resident Evil with a HUGE smile on your face [​IMG] The 59 memory card should be OK for now... mine is full after 6 games (Resident Evil takes up 8 blocks... not sure about RL) [​IMG]

3. Dave Bennett

Rob,
    It was RE that sold me on the system. I played Rogue Leader at launch and enjoyed it but I didn't wanna spend 200 bucks for one game. Then when I saw the RE games coming out, I contemplated the cube. The price drop and the rave reviews RE is getting sold me. Even though I played through the original RE and the sequel on the PSX I'm looking forward to playing RE again and in upgraded form. I think the cube is going to complement my PS2 nicely as both seem to offer a different type of games. My one concern is the controller. I love the dual shock and the XBox S controller(I'm not a big fan of the normal one) and the few times I've played a cube the buttons have seemed confusing , C stick too small and slippery, and the D pad too small. However, I'm not gonna let that hamper me. I'm sure I'll adjust. If not I found an accessory that allows you to use dual shocks on the cube(which may be good as I already have 4 dual shocks). Anyhow, I'll let you guys know my impressions after I get going with it.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I got the Dreamcast because of CODE VERONICA and didn't regret it a bit; now history has repeated itself, getting the 'Cube for RE and I'm loving it!

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    By all means, get a Gamecube. The system is probably the best one Nintendo has ever released as far quality of games go. I have not played RE yet, but by the reactions of everyone I've talked to it is the best RE yet. Also, Rogue Leader is by far the best and most immersive Star Wars title ever made, you will definitely enjoy it.

The S-Video cables are very easy to find, any place that sells the Cube usually sells the S-Video cables. But, if you have component capability go that route, their a little harder to find though.

By the way, try to refrain from using cheat codes on Rouge Leader right away. You will get much more fun out of it.

6. Dave Bennett

Picked it up today. Got a black cube, memory card, s-video cable at EB. Then I went across the street to Best Buy to pickup Resident Evil and Rogue Leader. They were sold out of Resident Evil and I didn't feel like driving 35 minutes to the other one so I just bought Rogue Leader. I then went back to EB and got Resident Evil. My impressions? Resident Evil is great. Already I've noticed alot of new stuff. Rogue Leader is fun but extremely difficult for me. I'm on the battle of hoth and I can only manage to bring down a few walkers with the two cables before the mission fails. I like it but it's more difficult than I had imagined. My biggest complaint about the cube is in fact the controller. It's too weird a shape. My hand hurts after a brief period of playing. Also the C stick tends to slip around under my thumb. I'd imagine this would be a huge pain in a FPS. Also what's with the super short cord? I had to go out and buy an extension cord just so I could sit on my couch and play. I'm really considering getting the dual shock adapter for it. Overall though, I really like the cube. Very compact and powerful. One question, does the component video make a big difference? The reason I ask if that I saw it uses a digital AV out. Is it enough of a difference to warrant the 30 bucks? I have a 27" Samsung Dynaflat so I'm not sure if it's big enough to notice a big difference. Also, any advice on third party controllers or other options to alleviate my hand cramps? Thanks for any info. I'm definitely glad I bought the cube. My PS2 will have a friend even when my brother takes his XBox back [​IMG]

7. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I've been going Console Crazy myself this last week Bought a PS2 last saturday and a GC this friday.... I was considering the Xbox also but I'm going to wait until there are more games I'm intersted in.
    Rouge Leader rocks but initially is hard apparently (perhaps I just need more practice...)
    [​IMG]

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

At one point i had more games but now im down to 2. Dont get me wrong though. GC is a excellent system

Rogue Leader-Excellent Game
    Allstar Baseball 2003-My fav baseball game ever

Ill be picking up Wrestlemania Next month, Eventually Spider-man when I see a sale.

I used to have

Super Smash Brothers-I dont see why people like this game. I thought it was kind of boring. To each his own

Super Monkey Ball-I beat it so its gone :)

G3 Extreme Racing-Bad, Bad, Bad

9. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Rogue Leader is, by far, the BEST game I've ever played in a console. I played the Hoth level in it, then watched "The Empire Strikes Back" on a THX-Certified LaserDisc. There were a couple of scenes where the Cube looked and sounded a lot more realistic! [​IMG]
    Still, I hate Super Smash Brothers too. And supposedly it's one of the best GC games out there.

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Have you guys played Smash Brothers with 3 friends? That is what it is all about... it's fast-paced, items-packed, and it is very easy to get good at quickly (you don't have to play it for 48 hours to master it).
    I wouldn't give up Smash Brothers or Super Monkey Ball (Monkey Bowling rules!) for anything. [​IMG]
    (I guess... to each... his own)

11. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Dave, glad to see you're enjoying the new system. I'd also heartily endorse the Super Monkey Ball game. Monkey Golf is a blast.

There's some great games a-comin' by the end of the year, and the new Metroid is starting to really impress me.

Enjoy!

12. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

I'm with Rob, Smash Bros. is pure joy with three other players. The single mode, for me, is just the means to unlock more stuff for multiplayer [​IMG]. I've played four-player for over three hours straight and it's been the best multiplayer experience I've had since Bomberman. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Super Smash Brothers: Melee is an amazing game when played with someone else (preferrably 3 other people). My brother and I will sometimes play eachother or we'll set two lvl. 9 bots on a team against us, and its REALLY fun. We've spent maybe 10 hours or more this week playing this game. And I've already gotten all the characters/levels/options (still missing some trophies).

14. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I too agree with my fellow GC wodaaayyyss. Play SSB:M with some "homeboys" and it is so damn fun. Tonight, seeing a movie with some hot ass girls and some friends. After, other friends picking me up, playing SSB:M on a 72" screen and one of my friends who is sleeping at my other friends house (like 6 people sleeping over) went to buy RE today. I hear no 16x9 though (it's 72" of wide goodness). OH WELL. Yeah, SSB:M blasted with all it's stimulating..[​IMG], yes stimulating effects kick the shiznite out of any 4-player game, well maybe some competition when Mario Party 4 drops. One hell of a night folks. Damn you Rob, Xbox lover. [​IMG]
    -Bert

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In the Scootplex, the screen is about 5'x 8'. So I think thats about 9' (108 inches) diagonal. We sometimes play on that screen, and boy is it great.

And I'm hoping to play on the "big" outdoor screen at the next Scooterpalooza following the main attraction. The diagonal on that screen is about 264 inches diagonal. We played SSB (N64) a few years ago on it, we had to sit REALLY far back. Can't wait to try SSB:M...