What's new

I'm suffering from anamorphism (1 Viewer)

RobR

Second Unit
What's wrong with me! I've gotten so used to activating the squeeze mode on my WEGA that when I got Seven Samurai Criterion Collection from Netflix, I unintentionally switched on the 16:9 Enhanced function before watching it. I managed to view the entire film in the incorrect aspect ratio before realizing that a movie made in the 1950s can't possibly be letterboxed. The funny thing is I obviously didn't notice any distorted images while watching it. Luckily for me, a friend came to visit me the next day and he wanted to see the movie, so I rewatched it in its correct aspect ratio.

By the way, Seven Samurai is a great movie! 3 hours and 45 minutes just flew by. On the other hand, I had to struggle through Harry Potter, which isn't even as long.

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, some of the more well-known widescreen processes started to appar in the fifties, mainly to compete with tv.

-Christian

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Go ahead and buy a copy of Seven Samurai, I watched it in a theater in the early 60s and thought it was long, since then, I probably watched the movie at least 10 times in the last 30 some years (in theaters, VHS, DVD), and it just keep getting better.

I thought Harry Potter was long, but I also think it's quite rich, and it's one of those that I plan to get a copy as soon as it's on DVD, it may be a "better watch alone at home without distraction" type of movie.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Knights of the Round Table shot in 1954 with Robert Taylor was the first "widescreen" movie, hollywoods way of competing with TV.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Actually, Hollywood was experimenting with various aspect ratios back in the silent era, and 1.37:1 didn't become standard until the days of synchronized sound, when it became necessary to add an optical soundtrack to the film. 1930s there were a few films advertised as widescreen (at least according to some posters I've seen), and the anamorphic lenses that would become important in the '50s dated from this period. (One of the newer widescreen processes, I forget which, got its start when a studio employee found some old anamorphic lenses collecting dust in a warehouse and tried them out to see what they did, IIRC.)

Regards,

Joe

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Larry, thanks for the heads-up on The Bat Whispers. I've never seen it and never bothered looking it up because I'd heard that it's terrible. I wasn't aware that it was shot in widescreen. I guess it's worth a look, if only out of curiosity to see a 1930 widescreen movie!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Whispers. I've never seen it and never bothered looking it up because I'd heard that it's terrible.
Steve,

The movie has remarkable miniatures, especially for 1930, and a couple of nice camera setups. But once the film settles in on the old house setting it does become a real bore. It's worth seeing once but it's nothing to write home about. Being a completist when it comes to thirties horror films I have to have a copy in my collection but I would recommend a rental if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks