What's new

I'm Spent..... (1 Viewer)

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Correction....I just talked to the sales guy I bought all my stuff from and he did sell me the Denon DVD-3800. They didn't have it in stock nor did they have any reading material on it as well so he gave us the 2800 flyer instead...hence my confusion. Sorry about that.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Just an idea, but since you paid so much for your setup, get your dealer to at least throw in the Avia disc for free. As for DVD players, you might want to get the player without the chroma bug, but just keep in mind that this DVD stuff is all very new and chances are you'll upgrade the player within a few years anyway (does the 2800 support DVD-Audio?).
Next time you might wanna ask our opinion BEFORE you write that check (not that there's anything wrong with what you bought). ;)
Otherwise, enjoy your setup! :)
- Mike

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Jay, I know where Hooper's is, but I never made it by there. I bought my old Vandersteen 1B's from a place called Audition in Homewood many moons ago. Audition was a great place, but unfortunately it is no longer in business.
The only thing I ever bought from Cohen's was a CD. When it comes to audio equipment, I have a hard time taking any place serious that also sells appliances! I did get a FANTASTIC price match at Sears last year on my Mits 65807 though! :) They didn't make a dime off of that sale! :) :)
Pete

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

The 3800 fixed the Chroma Bug. And after calling the dealer today I found out that he did sell me the 3800. So, no worries there. As for the Avia disc, I have a friend of mine who has the Video Essentials disc that I will borrow.

And finally, as for checking with you guys before buying. I've done my fair share, trust me. Check out all my past posts and you'll see. Everything from the TV to the receiver, dvd, speakers...all of it I have come here with first. And after you check here go see all my posts on the AVSForum and then that HomeTheater Spot as well. I've been all over. My house has home theater mags all about it as I was looking at reviews and little things here and there. I put more research into this than I did in my college thesis paper. And I owe a lot of what I own to all of the home theater forums out there. They were huge helps in what I bought.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jay:

Sounds like a killer system. 73 incher? Jesus. You must have a pretty big room to put all of this stuff in. How about some pics on the HT once you get it all set up?

I have been a Def Tech user for many moons. I have the BP 20s, CLR 1000 center and switched out the BP2s with BPX models for the rears. I have never been disappointed in how they sounded with HT or music. Once you get them into you home and get them set up you are going to be smiling a lot.

I second the recommendation that you get ahold of a DB meter from Radio Shack. Once you get those speakers calibrated to your room it will make all the difference in the world in how those speakers sound to you.

Welcome to the hobby, the world of no money in the bank and to HTF. Keep us up to date on your system and how it comes together for you.

Parker

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we are running into a slight problem. Kinda.

The room it was originally going in has been the enterainment room for this home since I've lived in it...all my life actually. Well, there's been talk between myself and my aunt about moving this new system into a room just adjacent to it. Never been done before so I am a little shaky on if it works or not. This other room is also the first room you walk into upon entering the home. It's longer than it is wide and would allow for a 7.1 speaker set up.

The room currently being used is almost square...as wide as it is long pretty much. I would be sitting closer in this room than the one mentioned above and there would be no room for a 7.1 speaker set up, ether. On the other hand, it has been the entertainment room for a very long time so no real worries of putting it all in there.

Also, how does that DB meter work and isn't there some red push accenuator or something I need to get from Radio Shack as well?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Congrats Jay, that is one heck of a system you have there. You seemed to have a doubt about the Denon 4802 vs. the Pioneer Elite. Well, the 4802 is a fantastic receiver and a powerhouse which is backed by Denon's reliability and take that over the Pioneer Elite anyday. Of course there is nothing wrong with Elite but the Denon is a marvelous receiver. Enjoy!

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Welcome to the HT family. You will enjoy all of you equipment for years to come. If I were you I would leave that 73909 on for the 100 hours of break-in needed and try to have CraigM Craigibrate it on his way through Alabama. I had him do my 55907 this past weekend and I can not begin to tell you the difference in the quality of the picture. Everyone that has seen the tv in the last couple of days has noticed a major difference in the color and detail of the picture. Good luck with you new toys!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jay,
Very nice set-up indeed. That Mits is out of this world, congratulations.
"Also, how does that DB meter work and isn't there some red push accenuator or something I need to get from Radio Shack as well?"
The SPL meter is pretty simple to use. Pop in your disc, either Video Essentials or AVIA (there are others, as well as your internal test tones, maybe less accurate). There will be a test tone portion of the disc. You will use the A/B repeat function on your DVD player to run each test tone. Set your SPL meter to "C" weighting, slow speed. Calibrate levels of each speaker to 75db. This will give all of your speakers the correct balance for movie soundtracks.
The Red Push Attentuator is something you can build yourself with parts from Radio Shack OR you can buy them online from technical gurus over at HTspot and other locations. They run about $20-$30 pre-fab. Before you buy one, check out your TV after calibration. Your dealer should provide set-up and basic ISF calibration...most Mits dealers do. I bought the 65819 about 6 months ago and don't notice the red-push on DVD at all. Cable is a different story, but I don't watch much cable on the Mits. I am waiting on Satellite to see whether or not Dish Network gets the NFL ticket this fall before I invest. We need a much bigger dish in Alaska for DTV vs. DishNet. With satellite, the red-push issue may be different than I'm seeing on DVD. The only way to use the attentuator is on your Red component input/output. It is of no use with regular RG-6 cable broadcasts.
You are asking all the right questions...it's alot of fun in the world of HT. WELCOME:)
Jeremy

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
For Jay, Pete, or anyone else around Birmingham...

There is about to be a new Home Theater shop in Birmingham i would highly recomend checking out if you get a chance. Its called Audio Forest, it is branching off a store in Atlanta. They carry, Sony, Panasonic, Cambridge Audio, Audio Refinement, Sim Audio (Moon), Conrad-Johnson, YBA, Boulder, JMLabs, Snell, and more. Its located off of Hwy 280 accross from Greystone in the Rainbow Plaza shoping strip. I've been in all the other stores in the Birmingham area including Hoopers and this totally blows them all away.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

Well, I wish I had known before I went to Hoopers on this one. But as it is, I already bought from them, signed, sealed, and yet to be delivered, but will be here soon. I'll take a look at the place, but I have already started a relationship with the guys at Hoopers and I do want to build a relationship with these people as they gave me some great deals on delivery, installation, and not to mention the whole setup itself. Eventually, I'll be getting some rear surrounds and I will price hunt on them, but Hoopers is trying really hard to get me to buy from them and that goes a long way...but, as I said...I will take a look. When's this other place due to open?

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,
I think it will offically open in the next two weeks, but they've got a good bit of equipment already in and i think if you call the store the owner will let you in and show you around and talk for awhile. This is the number (205) 995-1966 i think.

I totally agree with you about the whole dealer relationship though, the importance of that can never be underestimated. I've driven to Atlanta to do all my Audio/Video business for years and this store is a branch of the shop there i've always bought from. I tend to like the smaller, more specialized hi-end shops where you can build relationships with the actual owner, unlike the the big chains (Hoopers and Tweeters) where you get the salesman who may or may not be working there the next time you need something.

It would defenetly be worth your while to check out this store even if you don't buy anything there. I was in there last weekend and they were setting up a 2-channel audio system with with Boulder electronics and JMLabs speakers. Way out of my price range but it was the coolest stuff i'd ever seen. The Pre-amp and amp ran somewhere around $20,000 - $30,000 each and the speakers where $70,000. They had a 61" Dream Vison Plasma TV set up too, it was incredible! They also carry a lot of lower range stuff, sony, panasonic, cambridge, etc..., and a whole bunch brands inbetween.

Anyways, congrats on your system, it oughta sound real good. I'm jealous, i wish i had the money right now to go out and make some upgrades myself.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jay,
Congrats on the new rig... very nice. Just one correction. The Denon 3800 dvd player does in fact exibit the chroma bug from what i've read.. so do all the new Denon dvd players (and i own a 5803 receiver). See, Denon has removed all information pertaining to the lack of the chroma bug from their site cause it has it. Actually, my Sony S9000ES has it too but, i don't see it so it doesn't bother me one bit. I would'nt sweat it. The Denon 3800 is on my short list as a possible upgrade. I say possible only because i'm still very happy with the 9K's performance... been a real workhorse for me since December '00. Have fun with the new gear! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't he out in California somewhere? Prolly cost me out the ears to have him come all the way to Montgomery, Alabama just to do a calibration...although I am sure it would be worth it though. Maybe he can help me set up those "Bass Shakers" I'm looking into getting. Thanks for the info.

~Jay

BobAlbano

Second Unit
He is actually in Illinois right now as he Craigibrated my WS55907 last weekend. I have to ecco the statements about it being a great investement. CraigM calibration is a close second to my SVS 20-39cs+/Samson as far as home theater investements go. I can't begin to tell you how much better the picture looks when he is done with it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Brandon,
Do you know if this new store carries Boston Acoustic speakers? I've been looking into purchasing some of these. It would definitly be worth the drive from Auburn if they do.
Thanks

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
I don't beleive they will carry Boston Acoustic they will however carry Snell, which is owned by Boston Acoustics. I guess its to Boston Acoustics kind of like what Lexus is to Toyota or Acura to Honda.

I live permanantly in Birmingham, but I'm actually currently in Auburn finishing up my last couple of classes. I'll be graduating here in August, so here's a big War Eagle!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks