What's new

I'm Spent..... (1 Viewer)

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's done. Wrote the check, shook the hand, and I'll have the system here next week sometime.

Here's the rundown:

RPTV - Mits 73" WS373909
Receiver - Denon AVR4802
DVD - Denon DVD-2800
Speakers - Definitive BP3000TL (2), Definitive C/L/R3000, Definitive BPVX/P (2)

So, umm...how'd I do?

Personally, I liked what I heard and the sales guy was able to talk me away from the Elite's to go with the Denon's. I dunno...I'm still floating back down I guess....oh well, can't wait to see it in the living room. I'll probably wet myself.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You got cables too, right? :)
Very nice...welcome to the DefTech club. You will have a great time with your new gear.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I'm Jealous!!!! Also one hellova check. If I wrote a check like that I might as well set up the system in a tent in the back yard...very far back yard. Best I can get away with is sneaking in one piece at a time.

Great job!

Phil

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Nice Rig... the D/T's have powered subs I believe?
I see someone running to R/S and buying a cal/meter. Hope you booked some holidays.:D

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Sounds like a nice setup! You have just joined the never-ending "Oh-no! There is something new that I need!" train. Next, you should go to Radio Shack and pick up an analog SPL meter to properly calibrate your speaker/receiver combo, and while you are there, pick up an inexpensive laser keychain to use in properly aiming your center speaker's tweeter right between your eyes in your normal seating position (just kidding, PLEASE don't aim it at your eyes!).
Then, you should pick up a copy of the Avia Guide to Home Theater , head over to the Home Theater Spot's Mitsubishi Forum to get a "feel" for your monster 73-incher, and immediately take the RPTV out of "torch mode" before you suffer burn-in. You might also want to check on picking up a Red Push Attenuator to tone down the oversaturated reds. The Spot also has an excellent Mitsubishi Tweaks section.
I think that pretty well gets you started down the never-ending road! Enjoy!
Pete

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Jay:
Welcome to the hobby - there is NO turning back. :)
I truly envy this set up - one of the most impressive RPTV's for HT, period. Top of the line Mits set.
Your speaker selection is also an "ultimate" HT speaker, as well as Def Tech's top of line model. I had a store manager friend demo a 3000 speaker system for me - wow. It was some of the best movie sound I've heard, filled the room really well, and it had dedicated suboofer-like bass.
Your Denon receiver is very nice. A search of this forum for info on the new Pioneer 49 will give you lots of info if you're interested. 2 important features the Pioneer offers: THX Ultra 2 and Automatic Room correction EQ.
Very nice, enjoy!
Rich B.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You got DefTech? I hardly see anything about them on any of the forums
Yes, I have BP-2000tl mains, CLR-2000 center, and BP-30 surrounds. DefTechs are pretty popular, actually. Not as common as Paradigm but pretty common.

The general thinking on them is that they are perfect for HT but a little lacking with music. As my system (slowly) improves I become more and more impressed with my DefTechs with music.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it may be a great setup, but I am already worried about the DVD player.

Apparently the Denon DVD-2800 has that "Chroma Bug". Well, the 2800 MK2 fixed the bug, supposedly and it's only about $50 more.

Here's the other problem. I checked the Denon website and it has the 2800 listed with a far less price than what it was sold to me for. Then again, he did knock off about $400 on those speakers. I think I'll be satisfied with the player so long as I get the upgrade, but it sucks to see the price already down on the player as well. I suppose it's an okay compensation what with the low price on the speakers, but anyway. Just thought I'd vent.

~Jay

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
*cough*
You spent that much money, and you don't know what LFE stands for?!
Virtually all of the multichannel standards (Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-A etc etc) are referred to as, for example, 5.1.
Using 5.1 as an example, this means there are 5 "main" sound channels plus one Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel. "Low Frequency Effects" are your typical cinematic explosions, thunder, earthquakes etc.
Your Denon, if set up properly, will send the LFE channel to the subwoofer. Contrary to popular belief, the LFE channel is not "the bass channel". All 5/6/7 other channels may contain information at any audio frequency down to the lowest bass. It is your Denon's job to redirect the low bass from these channels also to the subwoofer according to how you set it up.
Hope that helps.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Jay, Murphy's Law of Home Theater states: "The retail price of a piece of home theater equipment will almost certianly drop immediately after you get it home". Don't beat yourself up on price you just paid unless you can take it back and exchange it, what is done, is done!

Sometimes it is worth a little extra $$ to build a working relationship with the dealer. If he's any good, he knows quite a bit about the characteristics of what he sold you. He can help you a great deal with advice on speaker placement, room treatments, etc.

Where did you buy your stuff by the way? I lived in MontG in the late 80's for a year and a half, and then serviced ATM's and retail point-of-sale equipment there from Bham for an additional 8 years. I remember a dealer (Cohen's?) on the South East bypass past Igor's Oyster bar.

Have fun!

Pete

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
With the massive bass capabilities of the 3000 series Def Tech's, there indeed may be no reason at all to buy a dedicated sub for the LFE channel, or any other channel for that matter. You have got 18" 1000 watt subs in those babies!! I feel like adding a seperate powered sub to your system would be overkill. IMO, it also creates a potential setup nightmare, as bass management and tuning is the most difficult part of home theater setup. With the dual design of the Def-Techs, you already have the smoothest possible transition with the internal crossover network for your mains, and you are going to have a lot less problems with room response, as the dual sub-woofers will together have a much smoother frequency response, and less likely to be afflicted by room modes.

The BP3000's are KILLER home theater speakers- you will have a blast with these.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on the new system!
When I was looking at speakers, one store had a whole room dedicated to a DefTech 3000 setup. I had brought Twister as one of my audition disks and I fired up the drive-in movie scene. There is a lot of ominous low-frequency sounds at the begining to create a sense of tension. A little 6 year old girl left the room whimpering after about a minute.
Some advice:
- Make sure you have the L/R towers pulled into the room a few feet to let the rear-fire sound have a larger delay.
- Run 12 ga speaker wire to each tower and leave the jumper in place for the first few weeks. This runs the speakers full-range and lets the internal cross over do it's job. You can play with bi-wire, or running a LFE cable to the towers later.
- Cut the speaker wires to length +1 or 2 feet for playing around room. It's a Myth that all speaker wires need to be the same length.
- Go to Radio Shack and buy some of the xxx-308 Dual banana plugs. You will need 10 of them. They make wireing up your speaker wires a breeze.
- Installing equipment in your rack: Put the receiver on the bottom shelf. This allows all that heavy speaker wire to flow out and not hide/obscure the rest of the equipment. Make sure to leve 3-5 inches of space for ventilation. Put the devices you touch/interact with on the top shelf and fill in the middle with everything else.
- When adjusting the woofers, leave the internal LFE level on the receiver low. (I think the Dennon uses numbers like -6, -8.) Stay below -6 and use the intensity knob on the towers to adjust the sound.
- At first, the speakers will sound different than they will in a few weeks. Also, the bipolar sound takes a little getting used to. Give yourself a few weeks of using the system before thinking things like: "Does this sound as good as it did in the store?". You have real good equipment there, but like any relationship, you need some time to adjust.
Hope this helps.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
- Run 12 ga speaker wire to each tower and leave the jumper in place for the first few weeks. This runs the speakers full-range and lets the internal cross over do it's job. You can play with bi-wire, or running a LFE cable to the towers later.
Would not bi-wiring accomplish the same as leaving the jumper in? Maybe I do not understand bi-wiring correctly, but it seems to me that it would make no difference if the signal was carried by a seperate piece of wire or the jumper. I would think the internal crossover would be used either way. Please educate me a little more on bi-wiring.

Thanks

Andrew B.

Jay_Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes it is worth a little extra $$ to build a working relationship with the dealer. If he's any good, he knows quite a bit about the characteristics of what he sold you. He can help you a great deal with advice on speaker placement, room treatments, etc.

Where did you buy your stuff by the way? I lived in MontG in the late 80's for a year and a half, and then serviced ATM's and retail point-of-sale equipment there from Bham for an additional 8 years. I remember a dealer (Cohen's?) on the South East bypass past Igor's Oyster bar.

Have fun!

Pete
Pete -

You're right about building a relationship with the dealer. He was really good with what he did and he worked as much as he could to make me happy on the price.

You're also right about Cohens, but I'm bound and determined never to buy from them. I actually drove the 1hr. 30min drive to Birmingham to get the system...plus they offered free delivery. A place there called Hoopers, just off of Hwy 280.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks