What's new

I'm so frikkin' sore from softball practice. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I have to admit that I'm getting old. We had our first softball practice for the upcoming spring season (we took the winter season off due to the cold temperatures), and after 3 hours, my body is just wiped out and sore beyond belief. My back is killing me. Hopefully by March, I'll have gotten the soreness out of my system and playing at a higher level than I did today.

Time to start jogging again to get the blood circulating back through by bee-hind, which has been on the couch much too much during this winter.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
I anticipate feeling your pain shortly. My company is sponsoring a team this spring, and since I haven't played in a couple of years (along with the fact that I turned 40 last November), I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be in some serious hurt shortly.

My only consolation is the fact that this will be the first time I'll be playing while also regularly working out at hthe gym. Well, at least I hope that will count for something. :)

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I wish a could be playing Softball right now. It's a little tough with 3 feet of snow sitting on the ground:frowning: .
I can't wait for spring;) .

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I spent the rest of the weekend sore, but recovering, and then shopping for running shoes and cleats. Got some closeout deals on some Nike Presto running shows ($30) and some cheapo Pony cleats ($15). I had bought some Mizuno cleats, but for the price of $55, I couldn't justify the costs considering how much softball I'd be playing (2 1-hour games per week).

I also broke down and bought a new 13.5" softball glove ($60) because my current glove is over 15 years old, and just getting brittle and cracking all over the place. Since I get tabbed to do some pitching, I got the big glove mainly for protection, plus it helps if/when I play outfield. This is one of the few times I hate being left-handed because my choice of gloves was pretty poor at the nearby Sports Authority, and I didn't feel like driving another 45 minutes to get to the Mall of Georgia for a glove.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let me get this straight, Patrick:

Old AND left-handed?!?!?! :laugh:

Wait a minute! Maybe the Yankees need an eighth pitcher for their starting rotation! ;)

I'm with Shane. I'm desperately watching for any news from spring training camp in Florida. That, and I'm watching my Ken Burns Baseball DVDs to "get in shape" for the upcoming season! Here in upstate New York we've still got a couple of feeet of snow from late December and January storms -- coupled with really low temperatures this month. Why, it's 3-degrees out as I type this (-8 with the wind chill). We MAY get up to 32-degrees by the end of the week. :frowning:

Oh, to be in Fort Myers with the Red Sox right now!

So, look at it this way, Patrick. You may be a little stiff and sore this morning, but at least you're somewhere where you can play ball. :)

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am with you Patrick. After a long Christmas Vacation and then coming back to piles of paperwork at work I have not had time to get back to the gym. Well last Thursday night was my first serious games of Raquetball in almost 2 months. On Friday I was sooooo sore when I got out of bed in the morning and I was sore all weekend. Today I am better but damn its amazing how you find muscles you have forgot about and how much you use them. :frowning:

I dont think that its old age it happens to all of us. Heck at 26 I consider myself in decent shape physically but when you start exercising in ways that you are not used to it can be a painful experience for the first couple of weeks.

The only good thing (Besides the actual exercise) I got out of my first League Match in Raquetball is that I pulled a tough match for my first night and took him down 15-10 15-11. He wasnt a happy camper but it did make me feel better about the pain I knew I would be in the next day. It didnt help that I played one warm up game before my league match and another after. ;)

KyleS

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I noticed many other co-workers walking around gingerly from the practice session. One who had been doing some jogging for the past 3 months was amazed at the other muscles he'd been using while playing softball again, and was very sore as well.

For those who think baseball players aren't in shape, it's all about using reactionary muscles, as well as the bigger muscles for running and hitting.

I'm still sore...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The 1st practice back is always killer. Especially those latteral movements going for ground balls. Last season I was even sore the day after our first practice and I'm only 23 and have been playing baseball/softball every year since I was 6.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, it's not going to get any easier. I find that age 27 is when your body goes to hell when it comes to being agile and the ability to rebound for more activity.

KyleS

Screenwriter
find that age 27 is when your body goes to hell when it comes to being agile and the ability to rebound for more activity.
Damn Patrick, so what you are saying is that come July 27th of this year I am screwed? ;)
Not good, Not good at all.

KyleS

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's just time rolling on. I used to chuckle when younger whippersnappers would be in good shape, and then they hit their late 20's and the wheels would fall off and they didn't know why. If you're in good shape, you may stave off the ravages of time, but it takes dedication and discipline to stay in shape once you're in the job force and have other demands on your time.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I hear ya.

I turned 29 this past January and just last week played 2 matches of volleyball (6 games total) and boy I was "feelin the pain" for a good three days.
I'm usually a little sore the next day but this was my first time playing competitive volleyball in over 4 months not to mention I've been out of shape for quite some time now.

Not even 30 yet and my body may have hit the wall?!?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks