What's new

I'm so disappointed in DVD quality ... (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Colton, just get used to it pal. It's simply the norm for dvd. Even using the total bitrate allowed by dvd there are some scenes that are virtually impossible to encode well. Don't know if HD DVD will change this or the same problem will exist.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Colton, just get used to it pal. It's simply the norm for dvd. Even using the total bitrate allowed by dvd there are some scenes that are virtually impossible to encode well. Don't know if HD DVD will change this or the same problem will exist.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Don't recall any issues when I watched it on my ISF calibrated 57" Toshiba. I do have the collector's edition though, not the 1-disc.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Don't recall any issues when I watched it on my ISF calibrated 57" Toshiba. I do have the collector's edition though, not the 1-disc.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that I have also seen Master and Commander and I did not see any pixelation problems or artifacts. I thought that this was a very impressive disc both visually and sonically. I am using a Pioneer Elite DVD-45 DVD player using component hookups. Watching on a 65 inch Mitsubishi Widescreen TV.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that I have also seen Master and Commander and I did not see any pixelation problems or artifacts. I thought that this was a very impressive disc both visually and sonically. I am using a Pioneer Elite DVD-45 DVD player using component hookups. Watching on a 65 inch Mitsubishi Widescreen TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Cheapest players will absolutely introduce artifacting/pixilation into the image, and even not-so-cheap players will. My roommate has a cheapo Apex DVD player, and after noticing a high amount of artifacts on a brand new DVD that got the highest possible rating here on a HTF review, I plugged my Sony DVD player into the same TV and played it again - and it was fine, no artifacts at all.

By the way, concerning Superbit, Superbit is a term copyrighted by Sony - it doesn't describe any sort of special technical process or anything else, just a marketing term they've invented to describe what they consider to be high quality releases. Plenty of other studios have released DVDs at least as good as the Sony Superbit discs. While it's probably true that a Suberbit release of a Sony DVD is better than a non-Superbit Sony release of the same title, there's no reason to think that Superbit automatically equals good, while non-Superbit means bad.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Cheapest players will absolutely introduce artifacting/pixilation into the image, and even not-so-cheap players will. My roommate has a cheapo Apex DVD player, and after noticing a high amount of artifacts on a brand new DVD that got the highest possible rating here on a HTF review, I plugged my Sony DVD player into the same TV and played it again - and it was fine, no artifacts at all.

By the way, concerning Superbit, Superbit is a term copyrighted by Sony - it doesn't describe any sort of special technical process or anything else, just a marketing term they've invented to describe what they consider to be high quality releases. Plenty of other studios have released DVDs at least as good as the Sony Superbit discs. While it's probably true that a Suberbit release of a Sony DVD is better than a non-Superbit Sony release of the same title, there's no reason to think that Superbit automatically equals good, while non-Superbit means bad.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Thank you! People think there's some sort of magical Superbit "process". It's just a DVD without any extras. Remember back when people used to complain about those?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Thank you! People think there's some sort of magical Superbit "process". It's just a DVD without any extras. Remember back when people used to complain about those?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Oh, there is a magical process - where do you think they get those shiny silver covers from? :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Oh, there is a magical process - where do you think they get those shiny silver covers from? :)

Todd McF

Second Unit
I think people are making too much of this - I have a 120" screen and the occasional pixilation is hardly the end of the world. M&C is a great disk with one *minor* flaw.

I would never suggest that Superbit is the only DVD line to use with a projector.

And... Superbit is not just a disk without extras. Its a higher bitrate transfer with less filtering. That usually means it looks slightly more detailed. I have Superbit Starship Troopers and the regular disk - and it looks slightly more detailed on the big screen.

- Todd

Todd McF

Second Unit
I think people are making too much of this - I have a 120" screen and the occasional pixilation is hardly the end of the world. M&C is a great disk with one *minor* flaw.

I would never suggest that Superbit is the only DVD line to use with a projector.

And... Superbit is not just a disk without extras. Its a higher bitrate transfer with less filtering. That usually means it looks slightly more detailed. I have Superbit Starship Troopers and the regular disk - and it looks slightly more detailed on the big screen.

- Todd

Colton

Supporting Actor
Well, if pixelation becomes too much of a problem - I can always revert to video cassettes :angry: Can anyone tell me the resolution (pros/cons) of showing a VCR movie on a 120" screen?

- Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor
Well, if pixelation becomes too much of a problem - I can always revert to video cassettes :angry: Can anyone tell me the resolution (pros/cons) of showing a VCR movie on a 120" screen?

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks