What's new

I'm so disappointed in DVD quality ... (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor

I'm almost positive there are problems with pixilation on Apocalypse Now. I remember complaining about the PQ on that disc and preferring my old laserdisc copy. I haven't seen it in awhile so I don't know for sure. Now it's possible that by getting another DVD player, that the brightness, contrast, etc, were different and thus the pixilation could not be seen with the new one. I just got yet another DVD player recently, and I had to recalibrate my TV as the colors, contrast, brightness, just about everything was different on it, than my last one.

Now I'm not disagreeing with what people are saying about equipment generated pixilation, but out of the 15 (or so) DVD players I've tried since 1997, I have never found one to generate pixilation. This includes some very cheap varieties. Of course, I don't have a gigantic display like some posters here do.

By the way, my new DVD player is a $70 US Toshiba. It out performs all the others I've owned including some very high end ones that were over 10x the price. In other words, you don't need to spend more than $87 to have a good DVD player.

Jeff

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Not any more!

A year ago, the Bravo D1, came out. A $199.00 player with DVI output that produced a picture 10 times better than my $2,000. progessive component Camelot "Round Table" player. Technology moves on. The time is getting ripe for the start of HD-DVD. ;)

Paul

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I have not seen M & C, nor do I ever plan to watch it, but I have to agree with Colton & Todd.

Some of the newer discs are show WAY too much filtering of grain, therefore, all of the detail is gone out of the picture.

And I agree with Todd that there are a very few amount of DVDs look look "reference."

The last DVD that I saw on my 65" widescreen HDTV, that's being fed by my HTPC outputting a 1080i signal was "They Live" the R2 PAL disc.

It looked more amazing than what words could describe. There was incredible detail, no grain, and absolutely NO edge-enhancement NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT!

Most DVDs that I watch are loaded with edge-enhancement, especially the newer discs, but "They Live" didn't have ANY at all. Also, I've noticed that the older b/w Universal Classic Monster DVDs, don't have any EE either. I have know idea why studios are releasing new movies with so much EE, when the older DVDs show no signs of EE anywhere.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Are you 'talking' about the remastered (new) Alien & Alien?
If you are, YES! Alien looks amazing. It will spoil you, won't it! On the other hand, it makes you want that level of quality from EVERY release.
Your thread title made it seem like you were "disappointed", with the format. And the first statement, made it sound like "new" (recent, right?) DVD's were "horrible".
Now I see you do enjoy recently released DVD's (Matrix Reloaded, PotC, "and many others").
It warms my heart to hear from people who want the best. M&C, has gotten RAVE reviews. However, that does not imply the transfer could not be better.
Go for the Gold!

David Ruiz

Second Unit
The new remastered "Alien" of the Quadrilogy set has too much EE for my tastes. But other than that, I very much agree that it looks astonishing. The level of detail on this DVD is simply amazing. And I love the new color scheme and the much darker blacks. Now if only they hadn't added so much EE on this DVD, it would have been reference.

EE can be seen on nearly every scene in the movie, but the scene where it went out of control, was the scene in which Tom Skerritt (Dallas) is inside that room, typing on the keyboard. There are hundreds of little light-blubs (or so it seems) lighting up that room, and around each and every single one of those light-bulbs, there is a surrounding halo (EE). This scene is almost unwatchable, because the EE is extremely distracting.

I think I read somewhere that the D-Theater release of "Alien" didn't have any EE at all. If this is in fact correct, I have no idea why they purposely added it to the DVD. Maybe to make it look less amazing, than it could have looked, so that people would be forced the buy the D-VHS?

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
I have M&C and I have problem with pixellation exactly the same way Colton describes at exactly the same place Coltom mentions. My equipment is Panasonic 50LC13 with Bravo D1 as the DVD player.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Uh-oh ... I have a Panasonic 51" ... please, don't tell me this is a brand-name/big-screen issue. :frowning:

- Colton

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Which version of Master and Commander? The 1-disc edition, or 2-disc special edition? I saw no problems with the 2-disc special edition.

- Steve

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Colton,

That might help to explain why both you and Charlie apparently are seeing a lot of the same artifacts and pixilation when most others do not.

I do know for a fact that M&C has a superb transfer and I have used clips from it lately for pre/post ISF calibration demonstrations.

I personally have not heard of any problems with that line of RPTV's from Panny, but as I mentioned before, EE, artifacts and pixilation can be caused by any number of things besides the DVD.

In the case of M&C if any one is having a problem with pixilation or artificial artifacts then this should be a cause for alarm as the disc, at least my copy and those of my fellow calibrationists, are extremely clean.

Just to rule out the DVD entirely, you might want to find someone close by with another copy of M&C and see if you have the same problems. I suspect you will as I have yet to hear about any manufacturing problems with this title.

After ruling out the DVD the next step would be to continue to rule out other components in your system one by one until you can isolate the problem.

Or just live with it, but judging by David Ruiz's comments having to suffer through so much EE, artifacts, and pixilation could be detrimental to an otherwise wonderful HT experience.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ugh!
They added EE so it would look 'better' on smaller screens. The MADDNESS!!!
When will they EVER learn?

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Isn't the two disc version of M&C the same, just with an added 2nd disc? Or does the first disc have different content?

Anyway, can someone who sees the pixilation list an exact time so I, and others, can look for it?

Thanks!

Jeff

David Ruiz

Second Unit

Studios have to learn that most people are throwing away their small screens. BECAUSE of DVD, and the amazing potential it has, people are buying big-screens, because they want to feel like they are in the theater.

I recently read that they are currently working on an 80" Plasma screen!

Of course, the article did state that it would first cost $30,000 but would go down as the years progressed.

When 80" screens (be it Plasma or FP, or RP, or anything else) become the "norm" will studios STILL be releasing DVDs (or HD-DVDs I should say) loaded with EE? I hope not.

"Alien" has WAY too much EE to be considered "reference." Where as "Moulin Rouge" has NO EE AT ALL.

Both DVDs are FOX releases. Who makes the decisions to add EE anyway?

I don't think that anything bothers me more than EE. And I'm VERY sensitive to it. I can see it from a billion miles away. Of course, when it isn't there, it isn't there. I know a ton of people immediately blame the display device (or the player) for adding the EE to the picture, but how come I don't see ANY EE on certain titles, and way too much EE on other titles?

Lucky are the people like Ron (the owner) that don't or can not see ANY EE at all, in any movie. I don't know how so many people are blind to these halos, but anyone who has seen and and is as bothered by EE as I am, can back me up, when I say that it's very distracting, and ruins the enjoyment of the movie you are watching.

BTW, since Colton and others were discussing pixilation, I noticed some on "Charlie's Angels 2: Full Throttle." Pixilation or Compression Artifacts (ie block-noise) can be scene in many scenes where there is red clothing or red scenery. Such as the scene, where they enter the "red room" to investigate. I know that the color RED is very difficult to compress but Columbia did a terrible job with this DVD.

I'm hoping that they'll correct the problem on a Superbit version.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I watched Master and Commander again last night.

Just to reiterate - the disk is almost flawless except for a few shots in the fog where pixilation is clearly visible.

So again - mostly flawless. I don't think anyone is saying its not a good transfer. They are simply referring to a brief shot in the fog scene. You really should be able to spot the problem on almost any display. I can see how you might miss it though - being caught up in the drama of the scene.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I watched Master and Commander again last night.

Just to reiterate - the disk is almost flawless except for a few shots in the fog where pixilation is clearly visible.

So again - mostly flawless. I don't think anyone is saying its not a good transfer. They are simply referring to a brief shot in the fog scene. You really should be able to spot the problem on almost any display. I can see how you might miss it though - being caught up in the drama of the scene.

Colton

Supporting Actor
So, would SUPERBIT versions elimate pixelation? Would a serious HT hobbiest only purchase SUPERBIT for showing movies on his 120+ inch screen?

I'm eagerly awaiting the 2004 re-make of DAWN OF THE DEAD that is due out in October. I hope there will be a SUPERBIT version of that.

- Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor
So, would SUPERBIT versions elimate pixelation? Would a serious HT hobbiest only purchase SUPERBIT for showing movies on his 120+ inch screen?

I'm eagerly awaiting the 2004 re-make of DAWN OF THE DEAD that is due out in October. I hope there will be a SUPERBIT version of that.

- Colton

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Doubtful there will be an R1 Superbit of Dawn of The Dead 2004, since it was put out by Universal.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Doubtful there will be an R1 Superbit of Dawn of The Dead 2004, since it was put out by Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks