I'm so confused...please help with widescreen rptv choice...*long*

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Oct 23, 2001.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I've never been impressed with the picture quality of rptv's until the new smaller(50" or less) models starting coming out. But, after reading this area everyday trying to narrow down the choices, I'm so confused. Each model has it's pros and cons.....
    1)The Tosh 42h81 looks good but I read that it upconverts 480i/p to 540. Is that true and what's the downside to that.
    2)Panny 47?
    3)Hitachi 43?
    4)any upcoming model of interest
    With no HD currently available in my area, I'm primarily interested in DVD quality and good stretch modes for DSS and local broadcast viewing. But keep in mind that I will get HD when available. There's also no ISF people in my area, so out-of-the-box quality is a must, but I do have VE to use. Also, which models have a good, non-glare, screen protector. I have a 15 month old daughter.
    My video equipment currently consists of:
    Sony DVD-S530(2 year old interlaced model)
    Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV/Tivo
    A lot of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I forgot to add that 3:2 pulldown detection would be a nice feature. Also, good ergonomics and ease of use of the remote.

3. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Well Kevin I have the Panny 47 inch, I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I love it. The picture gets better and better as the TV breaks in. DVD's look great and DSS doesn't look bad at all, some of the channels actually look really good, especially the Pay Per View movies. I use the JUST Mode which stretches the screen to fit the 16x9 window and its not that bad you get used to it pretty quickly. I mean if you want to stare at it and try to spot what gets distorted you can find it but mostly you won't even notice. Great Purchase, Highly Recommended!! [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I was stuck between the Tosh 42" and the Panny 47". While I am sure I would have been happy with either purchase, I have no regrets getting the Panny. I think the Toshiba is probably better straight out of the box, but regardless both TV's NEED calibrating. Afterwards, I think you would be hard pressed to like one much more over the other. The Toshiba does not lock into full mode with progessive scan DVD players, the Panny does. For me, I wanted the biggest set I could fit in a set space, the the Panny fit with less then 1/2 an inch on either side.
    I have to admit, while I was happy with the set when I first got it a week ago, I love it all that much more since I've had time to mess with it.
    Biggest improvement was going with a progressive scan DVD player. I sit only 7 1/2 feet from the set, and the PS dvd makes the picture so much smoother and filmlike. Before I watched anything I did the Red Push and SVM fix, so I don't know what it was like before. And tonight I fudged around on the 64 point convergence for an hour and my picture is so much sharper.
    As you can tell, I am happy. Best of luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the sets.

5. Han

Han Second Unit

Okay, this whole 480p upconverted to 540p thing is getting kinda out of hand.
    The good: As far as I saw, and I shopped a lot, the Toshiba H/HX81 sets look better than the new Hitachis and Panasonics as well as Sonys, Mitsubishis, and non-Elite Pioneers on non-HD signals. That's where the focus of this whole 480p->540p issue is anyway, right?
    The bad: Now maybe, this upconversion by Toshiba may not look as good as past Toshiba models that didn't upconvert, but like I said, these new Toshiba sets still look better than non-Pioneer Elites on SD signals.
    The ugly: Watch out for two major issues... The vertical ghost lines and the outline/image ghost lines, with the new Toshibas. For more details, check out the Toshiba threads at www.hometheaterspot.com
    If I had to do it over again, I'd buy from a friendlier more returnable store. If not Toshiba, if I was guaranteed that Hitachi had no issues, I'd go that way.
    (The relative quality comparisons I made are, of course, my opinions)

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I had an Hitachi for a couple of weeks, a 53UWX10B. It and most of the other Hitachi widescreen models had an issue with a green tint in the low end of the grayscale.
    Returned it for a Sony KP57HW40, and can recommend that model highly. The DRC is much better than on previous models, so if you're judging by XBR-10 models you need to take a look at the newer HW40s and XBR-2s.
    The DRC on the Sony gives you your choice of 960i or 480p for ntsc sources, and they also have 3-2 pulldown. From my experience with both the Hitachi and the Sony in my own home on cable and ntsc
    DirecTV, I see a lot less digital artifacting than on the Hitachi, which uses the same upconversion to 540p as the Toshiba sets. Progressive scan DVD and HD look great on both sets, but ntsc is better on the Sony.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

7. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I think I'll just make an executive decision and go with the Tosh 42H81. I like the size of it, the picture, the menu system, and the remote.
    Alright Santa, lets go shopping!

8. Tracy B

Tracy B Auditioning

Hmmmm......I was trying to decide between the 42 Tosh and the 47 Panny - I finally decided to roll the dice and go with "bigger is better". Very glad I did - the set, post tweaking, looks every bit as good as any of the Tosh's or Mitsu's I've seen. For pure size and PQ, the Panny is the best bargain on the market, PERIOD. Down sides to the Panny are minor inconveniences in my book - the remote is not bad, but not great (you have to cycle through all seven inputs rather than accessin directly), and the separate inputs do not remember their own settings (I have to turn the color up 6-8 notches when I watch a DVD). To some, these issues may turn them to another set. For me, not that big a deal. If you are simply looking for the biggest, best picture quality for under $2K, the Panny is it.

9. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

10. Han

Han Second Unit

BTW KevinW, just FYI,
    The Toshibas' separate inputs do remember most settings like Color, Tint, Brightness, Contrast. The drawbacks are that they don't remember DNR On/Off (Digital noise reduction), and Film/Video (for 2:3 pulldown). Setting those applies to all inputs, but not a big deal. Slightly more troublesome, but still not bad is the fact that they don't remember which stretch mode for each input either. Current stretch mode = what gets used when switching inputs.