I'm so confused--and Christmas is coming soon! HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Taylor, Dec 2, 2002.

1. David Taylor

David Taylor Agent

Ok. I have a 4-year-old son and a 7-year-old daughter. You might think they are both a little young for video games, but I pulled my old PS1 out of the closet and they both eat it up. They can play some of the games pretty well.

I'm thinking about getting a new system this year for Christmas. The only one I've actually played is a friend's PS2. It is great, but it seems that the XBox is better on paper. And I'm kinda worried about the Gamecube's longevity--it has some good games, but it sorta seems like an also-ran.

I've been reading some posts on here and have been reading different reviews...and I'm SO confused. If the XBox is really superior, I would want that one, right? Are there decent kids games for it? I also want it for myself for good sports games. Does the XBox really outperform the PS2 on the sports games?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    David

2. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Personally I think all three systems will survive, and do well.

Xbox does have the best hardware and the games typically look the best.

PS2 has the biggest library and backwards compatability

Gamecube has the Nintendo games, wavebird and they are coming out with a Gameboy Advance Adapter.

As far as kids games Xbox has very few (if any) - GC and PS2 are the winners in that department.

As far as sports games I would say PS2 and Xbox have a slight edge.

3. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Well David,

We've had many posts along these lines over the last few weeks as we get closer to the holiday season.

Basically, what you're looking at is which console both you and your kids will be happy with.

It's pretty much the feeling here that the Gamecube has the best to offer for the younger generation. It will have more kids oriented games than the other consoles by the time the system is done with it's lifespan.

Don't worry about the Gamecube's longevity. Nintendo has more than enough cash in it's coffers to keep going at this business for years and years. Nintendo also has it's tried and true franchises to work with as well (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, etc.), they'll be in this gaming thing for a very long time.

Another thing to look at is whether or not your kids are interested in a Gameboy Advance. Nintendo has the link up capability in use with some of their games, and it might be a feature that they would enjoy.

As far as sports games are concerned, I believe that the graphics are best on the Xbox, but the control is best on the PS2. Having the 4 triggers on the PS2 in my opinion is much better than the 'black' and 'white' buttons on the Xbox. That's just my opinion though.

Best of luck with whatever decision that you make.

Glen

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sega just stopped making sports games for the GameCube (there might be some more specifics to this, but that's the gist of it) and the X-Box has very few games for kids, so I'd recommend the PS2.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd recommend the Gamecube. They've got by far the best games. Certainly the best for kids. There is to be a "megaton" announcement coming by 12/23 as well that's supposed to blow the socks off the gaming community.

Keep in mind the GBA adapter will add many games to the system. I think they said something like 1000.

6. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I find the Xbox hardware a lot better then the PS2's hardware, as in it seems to be able to take a beating better. I've stepped on pretty much all the controllers with my size 12 docs and the only one that has broken was the PS2.

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

David: I just went through a similar decision myself. I had not bought a console for myself since the Sega Genesis. I bought a Playstation One for my kids two years ago and was not wowed by it. This year, I decided I would buy a console for myself and my kids, one that we could play together and separately for several years. Me and my 7 and 5 year old kids like sports, racing, action, fighting and shooting games. None of us prefer the platform (donkey kong) type games. Because of this and because I wanted a console with a DVD controller, since the game console would take up the space of my main DVD player in the living room, I ruled out the Gamecube.
    Deciding between the XBox and the PS2 was a hard one. It came down to the fact that I wanted the most technically advanced console, the one with the best graphics, best sound and best DVD capability. In addition, I would be able to grow with the XBox through XBox Live once my residential area gets high speed internet. I agree that the PS2 has many more games, but the XBox has enough games right now to keep me and my kids happy till more come out. I do not buy many games in a given year anyway, so I only need a few good games on a console per year to keep me busy and happy. Prior to my decision, I printed off a fairly complete XBox library list from GameRankings.com and found many, many games on the list I would buy for myself and my kids.
    I bought my XBox on Friday and at the time bought a $5.00 demo disc with Halo, Madden NFL 2003, NFL 2003, Whacked, Quantum Redshift, Timesplitters 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Splinter Cell, etc. on it. Best $5.00 I have spent as my kids have played continuously now for four days.

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I have a 6 and 3 year old and just like you I wanted some sports games for myself. I went with the gamecube becuase it had the best choice in software for my kids and had all the standard sports games available (baseball and football are my favorites). As for graphics the GC is better than the PS2 and very comparible to the XBOX...Either console will bring lots of fun home, but I was thinking more about the kids..[​IMG]

10. Don Smith

Don Smith Extra

11. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I don't think that has been officially announced. I know they said that they might stop making sports games for the Gamecube, but I don't know if they've come out and said that they were going to completely stop as of right now.
    Planet Gamecube story
    It states that they may stop making sports games, but it hasn't been decided yet.
    Glen

12. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

There was a story on Gamespot a few weeks ago that included this quote:

13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

14. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I walked into Best Buy last week with the full intention of buying a GC. It was cheaper and I like Nintendo's first party games quite a bit.

I came home with an XBOX.

It was the same price as the GC + 1 game and I got a technologically superior system with two games. So far, I'm very pleased with it and the games I've played on it. My only beefs are that 1) it should play dvd's out of the box instead of forcing you to buy a $30 remote and 2) The video and audio jack is proprietary, so instead of being able to use cables I already own, once again I have to plunk down the extra money. Minor beefs, trust me. I'm in love with the system.

It's true that it's geared more toward older players at the moment. I don't know that it's going to be that way forever, though. If there's money to be made from something, MS will eventually pursue it. It's up to your personal tastes, really. If the primary users will be kids, get the GC. It's cheap and not a bad system at all. If you want technology that will stay competitive for a few years and has great sound and graphics, then go with the XBOX.

Clear as mud?

15. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

16. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yes, but the fact that I have to buy that dongle as opposed to just being able to plug my cables into pre-installed jacks is what irks me. These game companies nickle and dime you to death. It wasn't until the PS1 came along that you didn't at least get two contollers and a pack-in game with your system. (Yes, my XBOX came with two games, but that's a recent promotion and certainly not the norm anymore.) Don't get me wrong, I loves my XBOX. I'm just a little fed up with paying so much for a system and still having to shell out more money to make it work properly.

17. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Well, even if it did let you hook up certain cables, it would be the lowest common denominator and most of us would have to go out and buy the HD or Advanced A/V packs anyway. They're not going to build every possible video jack into a machine when most people are going to use good old composite. It's just not cost-effective. With the Xbox bundle right now it's a great deal and should save people enough money that they can go out and buy whatever add-ons they need.

18. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

At toys r us I was able to get a GC bundle for $199 that made me pass up on the XBOX. It included two remotes, a memory card plus two games(SM sunshine and Hot Wheels racing)...As for technology, there will always be something better along the line. Just look how the Home theater industry is becoming. Today it's XBOX tomorow it's something else....The guts inside the GC are pretty good, and to be honest, the quality of the graphics on the GC can easily compete with the XBOX at a cheaper price [​IMG]
    My second choice was an XBOX. I got the GC becuase of my 6 and 3 year old and the great bundle I got [​IMG]