I'm so cold!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

After sweating my butt off this summer, and getting an electric bill in the triple-digits (never had that happen before in the 6 years in my house), I finally called in an AC repair dude, and he came over and pumped in 3 pounds of freon 22 into the AC unit outside. Before, I wasn't able to get the house under 85 degrees, but now, I was actually reaching for the covers last night, the house was so darn cold with the boost in freon.

The only bad side is whether I will notice that the return of coolness is temporary (meaning I have a rapidly developing leak in my AC system) and I have to think about replacing the entire AC system, or more of a slow slow leak that took almost 6 years to manifest itself. Time will tell.

2. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

At least you had some cooling from your A/C. Three years ago my unit (probably 25+ years old) crapped out entirely during a stretch of 100 degree days. The thermostat inside read 90 degrees, but only because it didn't go any higher. The cost of repairs would have been almost half of the cost of a new unit. Not worth it when the system was basically living on borrowed time. So I bit the bullet and had it replaced. Unfortunately, I had to wait three weeks because they were swamped, but it was worth it. The new unit kicks out really cold air and it is way, way more efficient. I couldn't believe how much my summer electric bills went down.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

there is most definitely a leak, it could be at the service valves or something simple and simply putting the caps on nice and tight will take care of it [​IMG]
    3 pounds is a lot of refrigerant though, either been leaking for a HELL of a long time or it's a pretty healthy leak [​IMG]

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

6. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Can't speak for Patrick, but here in Orlando, I pay about 9c/kW-hr. My summertime bills run about $110-120 (my wife and daughter are home all day, too), and about $70 in the winter. 1500sq. ft, 3 bed, 2 bath. I run the AC (at 78deg summer, dropping to 76 in the spring/fall) from Jan-Nov typically. I have a water heater timer and compact fluorescent bulbs in every light that gets used for a few hours/day. Both help to keep the bill down (particularly the timer).

Todd

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Small house (3br/2ba), but I usually only get power bills in the neighborhood of $65-$80/month in the summer before this summer.

9. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

As I sit here and it's in the 90s and was just around 100 today. I only wish I could say, "I'm cold".

Unfortunately I don't have air, of course in reality you really don't need air in my area because we just don't have prolonged periods of heat the require air all the time.

That being said my heating system is very old (38 yrs) and I do have a company coming out next week to spec out a new one, perhaps I just see how much more central air would run.

10. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

How long does a central A/C system live?

My wife and I inherited my mom's house when she died. The central A/C and Heat system is a Lennox system (outside and inside) that she had installed in Summer of '93. Two summers ago on a hot, humid late afternoon I noticed the compressor wasn't running; only the fan was.

Called the company that installed the out of warranty system and had it recharged. But due to the low freon levels the compressor had overheated and locked up. Running cold water over the compressor unlocked it and the guy also took off the thick acoustic jacket. Since then it's been working great and can make the house so cold it's unhealthy.

The service guy said that the system was ready for replacement due to it's age. Now I don't know about you but that seems like an awfully short life span. Other people I know have systems that are 20 years old and still cranking out chills. The system that this Lennox replaced was installed in 1977 when my parents built this house. It was a Chrysler Airtemp internal unit and a Whirlpool outside condensor/compressor.

Here in Louisiana humidity and suffering go together. A functioning A/C system is a necessity to avoid being miserable and risking damage to your house's interior from mold, moisture, etc. It's also important if you have things like magnetic tape recordings, any kind of film, etc.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The AC dude offered that the "newer" AC systems don't last more than 15 years.

My officemates's "old" AC system lasted 27 before he had to fully replace the system.

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

I'm so jealous. My average electric bill during the summer is $165 and this dips up close to $275 in July and August. The highest I've ever had was a couple years ago - $342.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I hear you Clinton. My bill for last month was $262. The lower humidity in my area lately should greatly reduce my bill.

I always pay for an annual maintenance ($100) which includes 2 visits per year and covers everything except mechanical failure and freon. In the case of mechanical failures, the maintenance covers the labor and I pay for the hardware. Dude just left and hit me up for a pound of freon ($15). I lose about 2 lbs of freon a year in my system. When it hits 3 lbs lost in a year, I will do something about it.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Here in Fresno temps hover around 100 from mid-June until late September.

My AC unit is about 15 years old and still works great. I set it to 80 when not home and 75 when home, house is only 1350 sq ft, Electric bill tops out at $200 for July.