I'm sick of "Exclusives"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It may not be much but I'm tired of chains like BB getting Exclusives as incentives to shop there. Now Indy will have an exclusive BB 5th disk. Granted it's Only a 10 min 1981 Doc on the flick, but it still rattles me that this happens.

2. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I can agree with you. I don't have a Best Buy anywhere near me yet (one is moving up the street from Circuit City) and I hate when certain stores give out exclusive discs. I think 2 weeks ago Target (?) gave out an exclusive disc with 2Fast 2Furious.

Dean

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

While I don't mind exclusives...I hate when different stores have different exclusive bounus' that you want...

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Matrix Reloaded has a Best Buy exclusive too. So I'll be there Tuesday.

What worries me most is that DVD producers may be intentionally leaving out 10 minutes of good supplements because they are told that they have to save 10 minutes for some store's exclusive bonus disc.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Why must the producer of a dvd exclude any supplements because of a store's inclusion of a separate bonus dvd?

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was in BB the other day thinking about this, and my thoughts were pretty much along the lines of "if I lived out somewhere that didn't have a BB nearby, I might be temtpted to look into a class action lawsuit based on monopoly issues or whatever".

I don't know all the ins and outs of this legally, but the thought that studios make these deals with a single retailer that limits competitiveness just burns the hell out of me. It allows BB to charge more for their product than, say, Costco or Wal-Mart, because "it's not the same package". Sometimes they will pricematch an ad, but more often they won't because "it's different"...when they do, it's because the person doing the matching made a mistake (according to their policy).

Now that the Musicland group is no longer affiliated with BB, it limits the bonus discs to just BB and - in Canada - FutureShop. Every blue moon I hear that someone buys an item from Amazon and it has the BB bonus disc, but this seems like a stocking error since it happens so infrequently.

Why can't these be made available at other chains? Heck,at all chains? What's with the "secret handshake" deals that keep this content from patrons of other sellers, or from people who just want to shop around for the best price? [​IMG]

7. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Alan, you bring up a very solid question. That's one I've asked with the DS9 DVD releases. The additional featurettes that are on the Region 1 bonus discs are part of the master sets on their Region 2 counterparts. Why is Paramount pulling that ridiculous stunt to begin with?

8. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

I have exclusives for Moulin Rouge and Minority Report, but all the stuff inside is also available on the respective DVDs.

9. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes this "extra" material doesn't even come in a separate DVD. Case in point, Highlander Season 2 came with an exclusive featurette on the 4th disc for copies bought in certain store. That means they even go to the trouble of mastering separate disc for these retailers.

10. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    It's all about this funny little "S" shape with a vertical line slashing through it.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep if you want Best price that's all you can do. I bought seasons 1-4 of DS9 at BB because of the extras disk. In most cases this was just another 10-15 min featurette that could've been put on the Features disk of the main set. For sets 5-7 thou I'm buying from Amazon with STL for $82 shipped. That's more than $20 difference and for me it just was not worth it.

12. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

It gets worse. Now it's not just exclusive supplements:

U.S. Record Stores Get No Satisfaction from Stones
    Oct 6, 4:14 pm ET

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - If music retailers needed another warning that their future is imperiled from slackening sales, veteran rockers the Rolling Stones have given it to them.

The British band snubbed U.S. record stores late last week by anointing mass market electronics chain Best Buy Co. Inc. as the only seller of its new DVD, "Four Flicks," for four months, and independent record store owners are seething.

From Nov. 11, through the holiday rush, traditional music retailers will be forced to watch as potential customers flock to Best Buy to snap up the 4-disc package being sold for $29.99.

As the music industry reels from plunging sales due in part to Internet piracy, they also are facing heightened competition from mass merchants like Best Buy and Target Corp. that control about 55 percent of U.S. music sales.

These giants often use their muscle to sell music as loss-leading products in hopes that customers will walk out with a newly released $9.99 CD and a $1,000 TV or refrigerator.

Increasingly, the mass market vendors are entering into exclusive deals with top bands such as U2 and the Eagles, though the exclusive sales windows for those acts lasted weeks rather than months.

Such deals are short-sighted and hurt not only traditional retailers, but the music industry as a whole, said Clark Benson, chief executive officer of Almighty Institute of Music Retail, which helps record labels work with music stores.

"The more that a mass merchant like Best Buy ends up having an exclusive, the more it hurts these pure-play record stores," Benson said. "Those stores are the ones where people are really getting turned onto new stuff, not the mass merchants."

Benson said over 1,100 chain and independent record stores have closed in 2003, making it hard for consumers to stumble upon the new music that is the industry's lifeblood and future.

Torrance, California-based Wherehouse Entertainment Inc., which had 339 stores a decade ago, will soon be down to 111 after filing for bankruptcy protection in January. The 95-store Tower Records chain of Sacramento, Calif. is flirting with bankruptcy.

Industrywide, in North America, first-half 2003 music sales fell 11.7 percent to $5.1 billion from the year-ago period.

NO SYMPATHY FOR DEVILS

Some retailers are not only angry, but are plotting revenge.

"The mistake some of these guys may be making is that a lot of retailers are like elephants that don't forget," said Mike Dreese, co-founder of Boston-based chain, Newbury Comics.

Best Buy's two-week exclusive in 2001 for a U2 concert DVD caused Newbury to retaliate by doubling the fee it charged U2's record label for marketing any of its acts. Newbury ended up with about $15,000 in extra income.

"In essence we issued a speeding ticket to them and they paid it," Dreese said.

With the Rolling Stones, Dreese expects he will mark up the band's extensive CD catalog by a few dollars. He expected to lose some customers but said, "we're basically not going to make it easy for them (the Stones) to easily profit off their brand if they're favoring a competitor in a permanent way."

A spokeswoman for the Rolling Stones said the members and their advisors were traveling and unavailable for comment.

Retailers kicked up a fuss earlier this year after the Eagles released a DVD single exclusively through Best Buy for one month, but received no sympathy from the band's manager, Irving Azoff.

Gary Arnold, Best Buy's senior vice president of entertainment similarly shrugged off concerns about its exclusive deals, and said he expected "Four Flicks" would be the company's best-selling music DVD ever.

13. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

15. WillG

WillG Producer

I know this is a long shot, but imagine if B.B. got the "Alien Legacy" Disc as and exclusive for the Quadriology. I doesn't seem like that will be the case but considering there is still no official announcement, who know what Fox could be planning

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Newbury Comics is indeed one of the best, but they've been forced to keep reducing the number of rows devoted to CDs and replacing them with rows devoted to Playstation and DVD, which have higher profit margins. But their DVD prices are terrible, so essentially the store has less and less to offer. We'll be part of the "I remember Newbury Comics, they were great!" generation.

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

Newbury Comics does OK for DVD releases the first week they're onsale. For instance, the special two-disc edition of the Who's documentary "The Kids Are Alright" could be gotten at Newbury for $17.99. It's $20.99 at Amazon right now. And Newbury at times has killer sales where catalog DVD titles get dropped to $7.99-11.99. If you're going for the first day of release, you'll probably do well at Newbury for DVD. Just don't go there looking to get a deal on older, non-discounted titles. But if you're looking for a $9.99 Donnie Darko, that's the place to be.

18. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

deleted by poster

20. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

IMO, by having an exclusive, it gives the store an advantage over their competitiors. For example, Anchor Bay & Best Buy have an exclusive agreement for the Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit. If you buy the Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit at Best Buy, you get an extra disc, if you buy it from another store, you only get the 3 disc version. I do own the 4 disc Sleepaway Camp & the 4th disc isn't worth it (purchased at Best Buy last year). This was when I used to shop at Best Buy.

People like having more features so when people hear that you get an extra disc when you buy a certain DVD from Best Buy & Target, people will go to Best Buy or Target because they will get an extra disc.