1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Sick And Tired With All The Issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Modena, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Modena

Modena Stunt Coordinator

I don't mean to vent, I did a little before, but why, why, why is buying a television set so damn difficult. I am a firm believer at reasearching, becoming an educated consumer, then purchasing the equiptment that best suites your needs at the best possible price. Following this forumula in the past, I enjoy everything I own. Now with Home Theater, the more you research, the more problems/conflicts you discover. Heck, I'm farther from making the "right" purchase now than I was 5 months ago. It seems that incompetence in this industry has led to some headaches for me:

1. Burn - in
    2. Calibration
    3. 16:9 vs. 4:3
    4. Stretch mode vs. watching black bars
    5. Seeing black bars in anything that's not 16x9, but it's still is widescreen
    6. 5 (?) different HDTV formats
    7. Some HDTV comes over the air, some exclusive to STB
    8. Burn - in
    9. Manufacturers send you a television with the settings set to their worse and if you don't change them it's your fault if the tv has problems and they don't cover it
    10. DVI or Firewire for future HDTV
    11. Direct view vs. RPTV
    12. Having to explain these things to my wife so she can enjoy a movie

The list goes on and on. Another thing that blows my mind is how a larger percentage of people with nice home theater systems don't know everything. Then when they ask for help, some people jump on them for not "doing their research." Throw in the fact that most people who buy this equiptment go to chain stores and are fed more bogus information makes it even more difficult for the consumer. So with that, I enjoy reading and learning about Home Theatre, it's a great hobby. But the organization of everything needs a lot of work.

So after all this frustration, I'm going to purchase a Mitsubishi WT-42311 tomorrow because my eyes like it the best. I hope that is a good reason. I'll deal with all the headaches later I guess.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I don't suppose you are in the market for FPTV [​IMG] I feel your woes. many things in your list are compromises you may have to make depending on what type of TV and what technology you are looking at. In the end, you just have to look at the pros and cons and pick the one with the least cons and most pros.

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I bought my Toshiba widescreen in Dec. '99, no problems with it. I've done some basic calibration using AVIA (and my own eyes) but nothing extensive. I use it for viewing DVDs and they look great. Cable looks ok, but that's only about 2% of my viewing, so it's not really a factor.

I've watched hundreds of movies with a 2:35 aspect ratio, which means black bars top and bottom, no burn in, and I have my contrast up to about 40%, which is higher than a lot of people. The black bars top and bottom on a widescreen TV are no big deal, they're very small and not really noticable IMO, your eyes will be drawn to the picture, not the bars.

Anyway, the point is you can get a great looking picture without a lot of work. Regular TV looks pretty darn good in
    stretch mode, least on my Toshiba. Burn in seems to be a non-factor so far(again, thats with at least 1000 hours of movies with black bars top and bottom).

Just enjoy your new TV.

4. Modena

Modena Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about it, but I just can't afford a nice FP. It seems you need to really shell out the cash for a set that provides good performance in all formats, not just HD. And oh, I almost forgot, I have windows in my room that I can't always block out the light and if any gets in there my picture will degrade. It's weird how if you have windows you lose quality. Ain't that a bitch?

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Modena, I just set up my new room and guess what? I am dealing with the same issues, at least until I get shutters for the windows and install my screen...
    [​IMG]

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

8. Modena

Modena Stunt Coordinator

I agree 100%. Everything within home theater is for the large part, subjective. If you read these boards and everyone says to buy Harmon Kardon, you go and buy one, bring it home and it sounds like shit to you, who cares? You basically have a receiver that everyone else likes, but your ears don't, so in the end, your an idiot for not listening to yourself and instead listening to all of the "experts." I deal with computers a lot too. Computer hardware generally spits out benchmark numbers, so you can gauge the performance of which part is better based on data. You can't feel the difference (usually) in some of the minimal performance differences. However, when you deal with home theater, it's the opposite; some people can feel the smallest differences which has a big impact, and the numbers and expert opinions don't mean shit. Weird.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't buy Harmon Kardon! Buy B&K! You'll love it!!! [​IMG]

Seems to me that choosing a TV is kinda like choosing speakers. A large part of the problem is in the limitations of any technology at transforming electrical signals into something the human senses can perceive and appreciate.

BTW, congrats on your new TV! [​IMG] Just set it up properly and enjoy it! [​IMG]

_Man_

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Neil: What kind of speaker stands are those? Thanks! JB

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Jack, the pic did not come out too well, stands are supposed to be straight, anyway, I purchased at Future Shop some time ago and I don't know the brand, just that they are 32" high. Sorry