I'm seeing commercials on HDNet, and I'm glad!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Schaffer, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've been seeing commercials on HDNet for the first time this evening--mostly for RCA HD sets and a stunning Lord of The Rings teaser.
    To me this is a Good Thing, maybe HDNet will be able to expand their programming with a bit of income from commercials. They consistently have the best pq of any HD channel I can get, would like more variety in their programming.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Seeing that this is a channel started by Mark Cuban, I would hope the commercials would be for a cause to further the HD front and not as a monetary supplement. We all know what ABC, CBS and NBC have become because of commercials (half hour programs that only have 17 minutes of content and the rest is commercials). I haven't watched HDNet much (not a DirectTV subscriber) so maybe I'm not the right person to give voice. Do they broadcast games uninterrupted? I would assume they have commercial breaks during games, yes? If so, there is no reason to have commercial outside of the games...teasers, demo's and broadcasts, sure, but commercials..please no.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The commercials were during a hockey game. HDNet runs several hockey games a week, using their own HD cameras but "borrowing" Fox Sportsnets commentary and scoreboard graphics and such.
    Previously, during breaks in the game when Fox would be running commercials, HDNet just panned their HD cameras around at the crowd or the zamboni or whatever.
    Last night they did the same most of the time but there were a smattering of commercials for RCA Hi-Def Tvs and STBs, and a nice TV spot for LOTR.
    I don't know how deep Mark Cuban's pockets are, but I doubt if they're deep enough to sustain operation of HDnet without some outside source of income. I also doubt if whatever he's getting from DirecTV is enough either.
    While I do not want to see HDnet go the way of the big 3, with 17 minute sitcoms, I don't see why the European method of putting 5 minute or so commercial blocks between uninterrupted programs would be too objectionable. Especially so if it keeps HDnet on the air and allows them to run a wider variety of programming. Ireland is a beautiful country, but I've seen that travelogue 20 times in the last couple of weeks.
    If HD is to be a success and not disappear from the digital broadcasting scheme, it's gonna have to make money. If it's not profitable broadcasters are going to use the bandwidth to give us home shopping in 480p.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I see what you're saying Steve and I agree that commercials are a necessary evil. I guess it was more of a knee-jerk reaction towards what seems like a HD paradise...24 hour sports. The 5 minute blocks would be ideal, but of course, not practical. Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser, Taco Bell...they all want their game breaks. All sports have breaks in the action and those are ideal for commercials...but, damn, it's sickening when there are forced time outs just for commercials. That's pitiful. I understand that HDNet is taking their feeds from Fox and such and at the mercy of their policies, so I guess rather than boring crowd pans, it is alright to show something. As I said, I would hope they could intergrate something that would show off HD and be advertising at the same time. It shouldn't be hard...but the big corporations make it tough by throwing so much money around to show their commercials. I don't expect the world...hey, I just hope for it! [​IMG]
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love