I'm ready to start planning my DIY sub box.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Since I now have my Paradigm Titans I am ready to start building my sub. I have decided on a 12" driver probably the Shiva or PE DVC(whichever one is better) and a sealed design. I was just doing some measurements in my room today and I wanted to know if an enclosure with these dimensions(approximately)is possible. (50cm wide x 50cm deep 40cm high). If these dimensions are completely unreasonable please tell me. I think those dimensions work out to 100L. Will a 12 inch driver in a box of this size go deep and manage reference level in a small room? How do I start designing a box?

My price range is about $350 Canadian amp not included.

2. Justin Ward

That $350 includes all nescessary supplies

3. Justin Ward

After a little more research it seems tha with a box that size I could go up to the Tempest for only $25 more. What do you guys think of the medium Q design for the Tempest on the adire website? How would this sub compare to higher end subs like SVS or servo-15?

4. Jeremy Hopkins

Although I haven't built a sub (yet!), since your also from Nova Scotia I'll pipe in for fun.
    Check out the Recommened designs at Adire for the Shiva
    http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm
    or
    http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tempest_apps.htm
    for the tempest.
    Also there is www.creativesound.ca for ording Adire parts in Canada. If I remember correctly the prices were just droped too.
    Oh and in a small room a Shiva or a Tempest would pound. Were you at? Dorm? I'm a Dal (Sexton, Daltech, TUNS, Dead fish engineering...whatever you want to call it).
    Cheers,
    Jeremy

5. Justin Ward

Thanks for that link Jeremy, that definetly makes things easier without playing shipping duty etc... It should cost me $276 for the Tempest shipped. Will I be going over my budget, I don't mind over a little bit but not like $150 over. Besides the driver and the box materials what will I need? I will be designing it as a passive sub powerered by a dedicated amp, will this change my design?

Its nice to see another Nova Scotian on the board. What part of the province are you from?

6. Jeremy Hopkins

Passive sub crossovers can get expensive. They require really large inductors that have a really large price. Thespeakers I'm building right now are crossed over at about 200-250 and the inductors alone cost me $130.

Someone else on this form will be albe to help out with active crossovers, right now I still kinda new to it all. It would be your best bet for money and sound. If your near Halfiax there is Gemtronics to get parts for a active crossover(friend built one with parts from there). If you still wanna go passive so for Solen. I dealt with them and they have always been good to me.

I'm from Hubbards (St. Margarets Bay). You?

Jeremy

7. Justin Ward

Do I really need a crossover? It will be passive but the amp I am using is getting the sub out signal from my receiver. The receiver is crossed over at 100hz so the amp powering the sub should only be getting between 20 and a little over 100hz. I live close to the village of Scotsburn(Pictou County).

8. Justin Ward

Should I consider going to a vented design? I ask because the Adire Alignment plans look VERY awesome. What materials do I need to connect directly to an amp(non-plate)?

9. Jeremy Hopkins

I've never tried just using the crossover in the reciever.....Maybe some else can pipe in to say if it'll work [​IMG] .
    Vented or Sealed would be a choice of taste. If you are loking for lots of bass then go for the ported. If you looking for light bass go with the sealed. Not to say that the sealed wouldn't put out a lot of sound, but ported does go lower, louder. Hopefully someone with a little more experience with reply. If not just search this form. There is a wealth of information, in text and people here.
    As with contecting to an outside amp you can do it just like a speaker and have terminal cups or just run a wire striaght out to the amp.
    Jeremy

10. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I am nearly finished witha Tempest sealed in the 120l enclosure off Adire's site. It's the one Dan Wiggins actually uses, so I'd guess it must be great if the guy that runs Adire uses it. I'll know more this weekend when I get it fired up. Really looking foward to it. I'm sure it will RAWK! Later.

11. Justin Ward

What are terminal cups?, If I have wire coming out of the box will that small hole ruin the sound?

12. Justin Ward

I think I am going to go all out. forget about the size, I am going to build the Adire Alignment model. You can't argue with results! Are the plans in the pdf files from adire detailed enough, I can't get lspCAD demo to load those box files from the adire website. Also the flared port kits are like $25 each, is there a cheaper way of getting them? Thanks for answers so far.

13. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I'd check out the precision ports from parts express. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=117897&DID=7 The pdf file should be all you need. I will tell you that I previously had my Tempest in a smaller box than what I'm almost donw building and the bass was unreal. I can only imagine what the proper sealed volume will do. Unless you have a huge room, I'd think hard about goingported over sealed. Just my $.02. The mid Q sealed enclosure is big enough, let alone another foot taller and 2" bigger width wise. That's huge. [​IMG]

14. Justin Ward

Did your sealed design have any troubles hitting reference level(even slightly above)? At the same volume does a sealed generally sound cleaner than a ported? And how was the extension, if it will hit 20 hz that would be perfect. One more question, will 120 watts be enough to hit reference levels with a sealed design in a small/medium room?