What's new

I'm ready now more than ever. 165 lbs. here I come! (1 Viewer)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Well, in the ever-intense battle of losing weight, I'm now a couple of pounds away from the 200 lb barrier. It's been awhile, and a broken leg certainly didn't help. I'm excited to pass that mofo of a milestone and never look back. I definitely have more to lose after that, but it's definitely been one of those large hurdles I've wanted to conquer and leave behind for awhile now. I know I'm not the only one. I'd love to hear others report in on their accomplishments as well! :emoji_thumbsup:

BryanZ

Screenwriter
As well I'm trying to get down to the magic 165 - 170 lb range. Basically, I've cut down on soda and junk food so far. Drinking more water and Gatorade/Powerade. I used to weigh close to 200 but am down to 188 now (height is 5 - 8). Started this around the first of the year.

The difference between eating the whole bag of chips versus 1/4 - 1/3 the bag is amazing. Still will indulge on chicken wings when football season arrives but cutting back the portions has indeed made a big difference. Eating what you want in moderation and cutting back on the soda will do much more good than what you may think.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Bryan, you may want to reconsider the Sports drink thing. They are chocked full of sugar and really are no better than soda. I mean, it's alright if you drink them just beware :)

Seth_B

Grip
I am sort of going through the same thing right now. I have feared that scale for the last couple of years. I mean I saw it there in the bathroom, but you wouldn't have got me to actually step on it unless you put a gun to my head. I KNEW I would like what it told me and it was easier to ignore it.

It got to the point where the largest size pant I own were starting to get very difficult to button. They were a size 38. Going from a 32 to a 34 and from a 34 to a 36, etc, was not that big of a deal for me ... but going to the store and buying a size 40 .... well ... that pushed me over the line. I stepped on the scale. That was on February 22.

I weighed in at 256. I am 5'10" tall. I had my lean body mass measured at 176 in a dunk tank. Meaning, I have some muscle mass under that fat somewhere, I just couldn't see it. I got motivated to get back into shape. I changed my diet a lot, the biggest thing being cutting out all beer. I have been lost 21 pounds so far and the pants I could barley button when I started are now too loose to wear. I like it.

I have a question for you guys that have lost a lot of weight. What is a good target per week for losing. Right now I am averaging four pounds per week, but that number is a little inacurate, considering I lost 7 pounds in the first week. So discounting the first week, I am averaging about 2.8 pounds/week of loss. Is that a reasonable number? Too much? Also, does the weight loss taper off when you get closer to your target? Right now, I am aiming for the 190-195 range.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Seth, I realize I'm not a guy but I'll answer your question anyway :)

1-2 pounds a week is a healthy amount to lose. The first couple of weeks will probably be more than that and that's okay, just make sure that afterwards you're losing at a steady 1-2 pounds. Yes, it really slows down the farther along you get, which is why it's okay to lose a lot of weight at first (not to mention most of that weight is water). For most people, maintaining more than the 2 lbs/week loss is difficult so if you are losing the weight healthily you'll definitely slow down.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing and that's great!

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
So how is everyone doing on their diets?

I started mine on March 15, when I weighed 214.

I'm now down to 185; my goal is 165.

Let me hear your progress, I need some positive reinforcement. (And I quit smoking, AGAIN , hope I can stay with that this time)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Does eliminating Diet drinks help? I'm a big fan of Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper ... water just tastes so bland (even with a squeeze of lemon).

- Colton

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I would be curious to hear others opinions/facts on diet soda as well.

How about something like Crystal Lite?

There is just so much information/misinformation about artifical sweeteners that I would appreciate some good clear info.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Good luck with that! I quit smoking close to 5 years ago. Honestly the only reason I never started again was because I knew if I started again, I would never quit again because quitting was such a bitch! And while it sounds cliche to say so, I really am glad I quit. I could never maintain a good exercise routine if I were still smoking.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
About 215 high down to 185 here. I'd like to lose another 5-10 but I seem to have plateaued. 185's ok for 5' 11" and I've gotten many positive comments. For me regular exercise and eating sensibly worked. No more half a loaf of italian bread with pasta and 4 slices of pizza type eating.

Watch the carbs and the calories. Learn eating habits that you can live with over the long haul and exercise. Congratulations Brian on the positive changes you have been making in your life lately.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
Though I put little value in it, I was reading through a Bowflex guide that says running can actually slow weight loss vs. just working out. Anyone have info on this? The major reason I'm pushing this to the back of my brain is because I've actually become quite dedicated to running and, even if it does hinder fat loss, I will keep on running. Haven't been fat since I was in high school, just kind of chubby (5'10", 170 right now), so major concern is lowering BF%, but basically keep weight as it is.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm in the same boat as you Brian. I used to run 10 miles 3 times a week and weighed around 165-170 pounds. But then I sprained my knee, which pretty much stopped my running for awhile. Then football season rolled around, which meant lots of beer drinking and grilling. Now I'm up to 200 pounds, thanks to poor diet and lack of exercise. So starting next Monday it's back to my old ways. I'll check in with you regularly and see how you're doing. Good luck!

Cary_H

Second Unit
Throughout this thread there has been only one mention of lean body mass. If you gauge your progress by what your scales read you are more than likely being mislead.
If you are not maintaining and/or adding to your lean bodyweight you are going in the wrong direction.
When you clean up your diet and reduce your daily intake you end up reducing your caloric intake. Less intake combined with increased levels of activity spells disaster for whatever lean mass you have. The more lean mass you lose, the more your ability to burn fat declines.
Someone in an earlier post mentioned that once they reached their goal weight they looked like a stick. Yup, lost close to all the lean mass they had under the bodyfat.
Running? Well, if you're not getting adequate calories in the first place, running just burns up just that much more.
Do cardio for vascular system health. Short and intense sessions. Eat and train to increase your lean mass.
Gauge your progress by how you look, how your clothes fit, and by tracking your % of lean mass. Get yourself a pair of skinfold calipers instead of climbing on the scales.
Diet and how you train is everything. When you cut all the crap from your diet it is tough to get in sufficient calories. You need to crank up calorie intake, not cut it back. Get them from 6 meals a day, never miss breakfast, and make it dinner-size. You'll know you're close when eating becomes a real pain. When it comes to exercise, less is more. Keep it intense, of short duration, and don't buy into the myth that if what you're doing isn't getting you results, you need to do more.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I'm the opposite: hard gainer. I'm 6'5" and weigh 230lbs. Ideally, I'd like to be 240lbs. I've been excercising regularly, correct form, etc, etc for a year now. I've gained 5lbs. I can only imagine that losing that last 5 to 10 pounds is as mentally intense as trying to gain 5 to 10 pounds.

Just a different view from our ultimate goal of being the best we can.

Cheers to all of you who make the effort!

Jason

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
It's been 5 days since I had a cigarette, and also 5 days since that darn scale has budged. I'm stuck at 185.

I know Cary says not to worry about the weight, but some organizations have rather strict rules about max weight, and for my age and height it is supposed to be 181.

My caloric intake is 1200/day, and I'm exercising. I wonder if cutting out the smokes alone, even if I'm not snacking, is making me not lose? Or am I just worrying too much?

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

Congrats on that. I quit 8 years ago after smoking for about 15 years.

Don't worry about the scales really. Just build lean muscle. This will increse your resting metabolism.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Down now to 182. Will need to start exercising. It hasn't been so much a change of a few bad habits as a change in lifestyle. A large part of this too is I no longer have the time to park my butt in front of the tv due to a second job. Since the beginning of the year, having two jobs plus making dietary changes has caused me to drop 20 lbs. I actually was recently able to put on a pair of 34 jeans once more. That I haven't been able to do in about 4 years. 38s used to be the way for me. Today it is mainly 36s. Consistantly wearing 34s should happen sometime later on this year. I do feel much better about myself. The change has been extremely encouraging. So, from a high of 202 I have dropped down to 182. 20 lbs down, 12 - 17 more to go. Life is good. :D

Cary_H

Second Unit
Jason...don't accept the idea you're a "hard-gainer" as a cop-out for your lack of progress.
Show me a "hard-gainer", and I'll show you a "bad-eater".
You didn't state your age nor the amount of fat you're carrying around, but both have little relevance here IMO.
It won't matter if what you're doing in the gym is right or wrong if you aren't eating right. Period.

Julian...this number of calories isn't sufficient enough for a bird. I'm dead serious. If you keep going like this, losing these last few pounds will be the last of your worries. You are killing yourself.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Cary, I appreciate the concern, really. But having gone through this diet cycle a few times before (I'm 52), I'm convinced that eating 1200 calories a day is the MAX I can eat and lose ANY weight. If I eat any more than that, I start gaining. Slow metabolism, I guess.

On the plus side, I don't have to buy as much food. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks