What's new

I’m Ready for my close-up Mr. Demille… (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
atfree said:
...and I'm ready for some more Cecil B. Demille on blu-ray. Specifically:"The Greatest Show on Earth""Union Pacific""Reap the Wild Wind""Unconquered"Just sayin'
I think the Universal DVD of Unconquered looks stunning, so a Blu-ray of that (must surly be HD) master please. And less than a month to go before a Samson & Delilah Blu-ray. I see it's being released in various European countries, & it's from Paramount, not licenced out, so I'm sure it will be multi-region.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
...and I'm ready for some more Cecil B. Demille on blu-ray. Specifically:"The Greatest Show on Earth""Union Pacific""Reap the Wild Wind""Unconquered"Just sayin'

A reply after five years! Elephant Films in France have just released three grand old DeMille's, The Sign Of The Cross (1932), Reap The Wild Wind (1942) & Unconquered (1947). I already have the German release of Unconquered, which looks great, so I ordered Reap The Wild Wind & it's just arrived, & overall it looks great, great colour (like oil paint pushed on with a pallet knife), sharp picture & a good greyscale, it has a bit of debris on the picture every now & again, the titles are window boxed & if I get up close to the screen I might see a slight green edge on some images, but I'm really splitting hairs here, overall the image is fantastic for a film that's over 75 years old, & frequently stunning.

So I now have two of my favourite DeMille films on Blu-ray, Reap The Wild Wind & Unconquered (will Paramount ever release The Greatest Show On Earth?). I'm thinking about buying The Sign Of The Cross, I don't have any old b/w DeMille (I haven't got around to buying Cleopatra yet), but all that pre-code sex & sadism is very tempting.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
also have ordered the sign of the cross, as well as the king of kings on blu ray from france
and can't wait for their arrival. love me some DeMille!!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
...and Paramount is reluctant to release ANYTHING, so the Best Picture Greatest Show on Earth will probably never see the light of day.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just a little additional info on ordering DVDs or Blu-Rays through Amazon.fr. I was
thrilled with the idea of ordering THE SIGN OF THE CROSS. (See: Billy Batson post
above.) However, after spending over an hour with two different Amazon Customer
Reps, I got an eMail this morning saying that Amazon.fr is NOT available in English,
no matter how many ways one may try. Something to take into consideration. Also,
for those older viewers such as myself, you should know that there are NO English
subtitles on the above title.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
IMG_5575.PNG
It'll probably show up on iTunes.

Already is: iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, etc.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Just a little additional info on ordering DVDs or Blu-Rays through Amazon.fr. ... I got an eMail this morning saying that Amazon.fr is NOT available in English,
no matter how many ways one may try. ... Also,
for those older viewers such as myself, you should know that there are NO English
Amazon France does not have a option to translate the website to English, the way Amazon Germany does. However, a right click on any page using Google chrome provides an option for an adequate translation to English. The site itself is so similar to Amazon U.S. that one can almost use it without understanding French or using a translator. The "Sign of the Cross" does have both English and French audio, according to Amazon's description, but only French subtitles.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just a little additional info on ordering DVDs or Blu-Rays through Amazon.fr. I was
thrilled with the idea of ordering THE SIGN OF THE CROSS. (See: Billy Batson post
above.) However, after spending over an hour with two different Amazon Customer
Reps, I got an eMail this morning saying that Amazon.fr is NOT available in English,
no matter how many ways one may try. Something to take into consideration. Also,

I pre-ordered Reap The Wild Wind from Amazon France & a week after it was released they sent me an email saying they'd cancelled my order as they couldn't get it from their supplier, very odd, as it was still up on their site & saying in stock. Anyway, a couple of days later I saw it was up on Amazon Italy (odd, as the blu is only in English & French) & it was from the same supplier, but I thought I'd give it a go, & they sent it the same day I ordered it & it arrived just two days later. Very impressed with Amazon Italy, they're even better than the super efficient Amazon.de. It is handy that Germany have a translate function, but I'm so used as to what buttons to press that I can easily order from any Amazon, but I think I'll stay clear of Amazon Japan.

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
A follow-up eMail from Amazon.fr said that they've now received numerous requests for
an English translation of their site. They also said that this project is now well under way,
and that I'd be notified as soon as all was up and running. I'll share this latest news when
I get it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ah, looking at that site that lists forthcoming German releases, I see that The Plainsman (1936) starring Gary Cooper & Jean Arthur is released on October 29th, it's an all regions release from Universal. So my wanted CB collection will be nearly complete, I have:

The Sign Of The Cross (France)
Cleopatra (US)
The Crusades (France)
Union Pacific (Germany)
Reap The Wild Wind (France)
Unconquered (Germany)
Samson & Delilah (UK)

So with The Plainsman released, it's just Northwest Mounted Police (never seen that one) & The Greatest Show On Earth for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks