What's new

I'm Pretty Much Done With OZ (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I don't know if this show outgrew me or I outgrew it. I lost interest toward the end of last year after all that Old age drug stuff. This year I'm just kind of growing tired of the "Violence for Violence sake" stuff. I mean the show was never believable but at least it was'nt over the top. Now with Disapearing christ figures, Valez falling for O'Reilly, setup's like sending the guard away so she can beat the crap out of the prisoner, what guard would leve a female doctor alone? A Female Attorney falling for a noted bisexual formally drunk offender, meanwhile defending his lover? The multitude of deaths that would have the prison closed years ago. Iknow the show's always been like that, maybe it's just overstayed its welcome. I have 4 eps onTivo and I was pretty exausted plowing through one. I might try to stick it out to see the resolution of Schillinger and Beecher, or I might just give up and hit the delete button.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you are Oz'd out :)
I still like the show and look forward to the storylines being played out. It seems this season has been short, given the finale is next Sunday already!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm with you, Dave. Credibility has been stretched past the breaking point in so many ways I've lost count. Beecher, Schillinger and Saed sitting together in weekly sessions with Sister Pete? I don't think so.

The season had one truly great episode: the bus. Everything else has been business-as-usual, and it's gotten old.

It seems this season has been short, given the finale is next Sunday already!
Eight episodes, same as always.

M.

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, you certainly aren't the only one who has had enough of OZ. The show jumped the shark towards the end of last season. This season has been covering the same territory as past seasons and it all seems much less interesting this time around. The major difference this season has been very annoying--they exchanged the gritty realism of past seasons for heavy-handed mysticism. It's definitely time for the series to end.

The show would frequently be over-the-top in past seasons, but I never thought it strained credulity too much until this season. And even when the show would take melodramatic turns in past seasons, it would always ground itself, helped by Augustus' narrations. His narrations this season, rather than adding perspective to the action that help make the largely unsympathetic characters interesting and even appealing, I'm finding increasingly more alienating and incoherent.

This season has made me forget completely why I used to love this show so much. Like you, I've been wondering whether or not I've outgrown the show. I'm assured by a friend of mine who feels the same way about the show as we do that it's definitely the show and not us. He recommends going back and rewatching season one to see why the show was one of the best on television. I can't wait for the DVD so I can do just that.

-Jerry

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Quite Honestly I think the last 2 seasons have soured me on picking up the DVD. I love the first few seasons but quite honestly I don't see how many times I rewatch it. Maybe if I can find it somewhere under $30 I'll pick it up. But the rewatchability of this series ain't like the Sopranos, After a while the characters and unpleasantness gets to you. I agree with Augustus's comments, tieing the actions in to Viking Mythos, I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks