I'm on the Fence about Fraility

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I understand this was one of the best Horror/thrillers of the year, but being that I've never seen it I was thinking of renting it. I See CC has it for $15.99 so I'm tempted. I've been trying to cut back on films I have not seen that are not the big blockbusters, but I did this recently on Salton sea, rented it and Liked it and wished I had picked it up for $15. So whatcha all think is Fraility all that and would it have rewatchability as a decent hi brow horror film?

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

It's worth watching, but I would high reccomend AGAINST a sight-unseen purchase of this one. Frailty was decent but it's way overrated and I'm glad I rented it before I decided to pre-order. I'm not sure where you got that "best horror/thriller of the year" quote but it is not accurate.

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

We rented this last week, based on some praise I'd noticed here. I'm glad we rented it, since it wasn't all that great, and often we buy stuff we haven't seen before that comes back to bite us.

Fortunately, we only wasted about $4 and two hours of our lives.

4. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I don't know what's with all the Frailty haters. It's a good movie. If you like Sixth Sense, Others, What Lies Beneath, you should like this.
    Sounds like it's gonna be a great DVD too.

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Without saying much more as per forum rules, I will say that if you are religious you might want to stay away from this film...or at least rent first.

6. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

If you're not religious you might want to stay away from this one, too. I'm an atheist and I absolutely hated the movie.

-Jerry

7. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I don't think the film is overrated at all, but I'd still advise renting it first. It's really not for everyone.

Mark

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Besides that I liked it. It's frustrating to see all that buildup, suspense, and potential go to waste.

9. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I totally disagree with all the naysayers here, as I think FRAILTY is the best film of 2002 so far, and is a spectacular, dark, disturbing, well acted, and very well done horror film! It deserves all the praise it has gotten, and then some. I think it is better than all three of the films that David posted above. Simply outstanding film, and I am definitely purchasing it!

11. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Yeah, this is the most Frailty haters that I have ever seen anywhere on the net. Apparently everyone who disliked the movie is an HTF member![​IMG]
    Look it's a good movie, but I wouldn't want to overly pump anyone up about it. I think it has a great twist in the end, one that caught me off guard and made me re-think the way I'd looked at all the characters that came before. I personally think it will be even better on DVD because it's a small movie. I like Matthew McConaughey too, so take that into effect.
    I just gotta defend the movie from people who are really killing it. I mean, to call it overrated seems like overkill since it's not a Sixth Sense level hit. It's an independent movie that got pretty good reviews, but not out and out raves. Why you gonna pick on it like that?
    And for the record, I would recommend that you always rent before purchasing because some times there's just no accounting for other people's tastes.

12. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

I don't think ayone here has stated they hate this film, just that it was overated...I have to agree.

Though I think Paxton did an excellent job in his first feature directorial effort. He manages to keep a solid pure horror movie atmoshpere without endulging in standard horror movie cliches.

My problem is more with the script, which works up to the end. I honestly saw the ending at the opening scene, but quickly found myself sucked into the story. Unfortunately, when the ending is revealed it feel's more like a gimmick than a surprise. I still praise the movie, if for no other reason than it works for a better part of the running time and has some great performances by all involved and some truly eerie scenes.

I will probably pick this one up.

Later

13. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

EASILY the best film of 2002, so far. The twists are not gimmicky at all and greatly add to the film. Anyone who says they saw the ending coming from the start of the film is either lying or uses that as an excuse to not like the film. There are many twists in this film and one of them was impossible to forsee from the begining unless you were specifically looking for it.

14. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

The twist was gimmicky, especially since
    The narration was from Fenton's POV the entire time, including bits that Adam wasn't involved in.

That's called cheating.

Also, the bit where...
    it's revealed that the FBI guy killed his mother

was a joke, too.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I'll chime in on this conversation. I am with Justin on this one. I loved this movie. Not to steal Justins words but it really was a very dark and disturbing movie. All actors involved put in some of their best performances. I have been waitin for the dvd for along time and now I have it! But I do agree, it is not for everyone. I can see how some people might get offended by it.

16. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I thought it was a damn good movie. But for me this was a one viewing deal. I just can't see myself watching this one multiple times. Rent first!

17. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

JonS

First of all, I liked the movie and felt it was very effective, so saying I saw the ending at the beginning is NOT an excuse for 'hating' it...secondly, I DO NOT appreciate being called a liar!

Later
    Jim

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

JonS,
    That's a pretty bold statement. I would almost agree with you but where there is someone stating I didn't see it coming, there is another one saying they saw it all the way. Calling someone a liar is a poor choice of words.

This movie I thought was the best of last year and easily surpassed what I expected.

19. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit! It is very edgy like What Lies Beneath.

20. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer