I'm obsessed with hiding the wiring in my HT, are you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    It's been like this ever since I got into this hobby, I HATE SEEING THE WIRING IN MY HT!

To me, wiring should be heard, and not seen, and in the case of video wiring, seen but not SEEN. I've always been a firm believer that a HT should not only give you very good audio and video, but should also be pleasing to look at itself, with wiring hidden as much as possible.

This sometimes is easier said than done, in my case, I hide all of my wiring under the carpet, and when I want to upgrade my speaker wire or whatever, I have to move all of the furniture out of the room, and roll up the carpet, this is a major pain in the ass, and I hate doing it.

I am pleased to say that looking at my HT, it truly does appear to be "wireless", everything is hidden.

What lengths will you go to to hide your wiring?

BTW, I wasn't really sure what area to put this in, if this is the wrong one, I apologize.

2. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I agree: wires must be hidden. My wiring all goes under the floor. Any changes mean I go back into the crawlspace. Ugh, I hate it in there.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Most people never notice my simple solution without my pointing it out to them.
    [​IMG]

4. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

*Squints!*
    Dude! Did you make a cover piece for wires? That's positively...BRILLIANT!
    [​IMG]

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I just picked up a posterboard that matches my wallcovering.

Behind it resides a daunting array of cables. Five video feeds (two of which are component sets connected to a switcher, which is also back there) an RGB transcoder, the subwoofer cable and right speaker cable, and all of my power cords.

I also considered using a carpet scrap just large enough to neatly wrap around everything, but this was even easier and maybe even less visible. Maybe I'll build something more permanent and elegant one day, but this is passing inspection without detection for now.

Edit:

P.S. The (inwall) surround and Buttkicker cables are routed under the floor.

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Jim, that's cool! My system looks just like that, you'd be hard pressed to see any wires by looking at it from the front, and from the sides.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you guys dont mind, I'm going to move this to the "Accessories/Connections" fourm because others will look there for this type of info. [​IMG]

8. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Thank you for this thread - I was just thinking about this yesterday!!
    Does anyone have pics of the back of their equipment racks so I can see some ideas of how people are organizing their cables? this would make the girlfriend REALLY happy if she didn't have to stare at the rats next daily...
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Well, when we setup our "home theater" we just happened to be redoing the basement. So we decided to pass the speaker cables for all channels over the ceiling and behind the walls. It was easy to do. Since all our speakers are small wall mounted JBLscs135's the cable exits the wall just behind the speaker itself. What little wire is visible is painted the same colour as the wall.
    The components are all housed in a custom built entertainment unit and all the wires are kept inside. As for the 50" Toshiba, well, it too is housed in the same entertainment unit with the audio componets (I said custom built, didn't I? [​IMG] ). The entire entertainment unit is right up against the wall and the speaker wires are passed out from the back of the EU into a hole in the wall. There is absolutely no visible wire at all no mater where you are in the room, even if you go right up to the cabinet. To see wires you'll have to start ripping componets out.
    The down side to this is that if I ever want make any changes to the layout I have to pull the entire entertainment unit away from the wall, which is a two man job all on it's own (even with little wheels on the cabinet).
    Of course this is cheating, you can't do this in an apartment.... But yeah, I totally understand what you mean about wanting to hide all wires. I'm really happy that I was able to do it the way I did.
    - Mike

10. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I don't know.......

.....my obsession is how best to explain to company which visits my dedicated basement HT why I have 4 stacked bags (60" high) of rolled/ bagged insulation wrapped with polyester batting and covered with burlap pressed up into the 2 corners of my front stage wall.

Or the triagular "thingies" in the 4 upper corners of the room, again wrapped in burlap. And not to mention the 2 side wall, first reflection point, burlap wrapped insulation/poly panels.

Oh man, I could really develop a complex if I had to try to explain the cedar wood blocks holding up my speaker cables off the floor for my 2 mains and center channel. And forget the diffussors along the upper wall/ceiling junctions in the room. And those fat PC sticking out as they join into the rack mounted line conditioner.

I just say "what do you want to hear" cuz it ain't real pretty in terms of an Audio Interiors glossy. Turn down the lights !

Nope, if they see it, no worries. Que it up.

I'm thinking my obsession is 180* from this thread. Oh well.

BOK

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I found a 1920s armoire that is 5ft x 6ft , gutted it ...along with my house...built most of my speakers into cavities I hollowed out in the walls. How else you going to get a wife not to scream about 22 speakers.
    Look mom, no wires!
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That's a beautiful cabinet, Grant.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

14. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I probably went to the extreme. I built a false wall in the front and everthing sits in enclosures in the wall so it all looks built in. Not one wire showing and the enclosures are lit up with blue rope light. Inside the enclosures are glass shelves which the components sit on. When its dark the blue light reflects off the components and its pretty cool. You can not see the ropelight only the light it gives off.

15. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

The light are usually off when I watch HT so I don't see any wires. Seriously though, I need to do something about it and just read a couple good ideas. Thanks.

16. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

My wires are hidden so well that i can't find them anymore !

The only cables that i have showing right now is my sub cable. I havn't figured out what to do with that one yet.

Bob