I'm now officially confused about the Xbox cables...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrik Draven, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Can't believe this; I've put together several HT systems, just got done troubleshooting a nasty hum in my SVS sub, and I can't figure out the Xbox cable system. [​IMG]
    My problem is, what cable pack do I need to see S-vid and hear a DD output?
    I see you guys posting about an advanced pack and a high def pack. Since my tv is not a high definition set, all I need is the s-vid cable. Besides, there aren't any component connections on my tv anyway. But, I also want to hear everything in DD. So, I need a coax or, the optical.
    Which cable pack comes with an S-vid and optical connection?
    The many posts I've read through, some of you guys are using the advanced pack and others, the high def. But then it seems like every person adds to their post that they have the optical cable.
    Is that separate? It doesn't come in a set?
    It looks to me as though the Xbox only has the custom audio/video port on it's backside. I didn't see anywhere to connect a separate audio cable.
    So, which one...advanced or high def for s-vid and digital audio?
    Thanks for any info you guys can give.

2. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Derrik,

You need the Advanced AV pack, not the high def. Both have the optical digital output, but the AV pack has S-video and composite video, whereas the high def has component. With the advanced AV pack you get the connector to the Xbox with the jacks. You will need to run an S-video and optical digital cable from the jacks on the AV pack to your receiver. Hope this is clear enough to answer your questions.

I should add that the advanced AV pack also has stereo analog audio outputs so you could also us S-video and analog stereo.

3. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Thanks!

That's all the info I needed. Clears it up.

4. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I bought the HDTV pack and a generic optical cable. This should be more than sufficient.

The advanced pack also has an optical port. The information from the Microsoft site is less than helpful and the packaging does not clearly show the product either.