I'm now convinced Baseball is going have a to strike

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gregstaten, Aug 25, 2002.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

(And it isn't just because the Red Sox are rapidly falling out of playoff contention...)

After reading about the latest player proposal Saturday and how the owners basically took it as an insult, I'm convinced that we're going to have a strike and that the World Series isn't going to happen.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not. It looks like the two sides are further apart than thought and it also appears that some of the owners are firm in their conviction that they won't take a compromised (in their opinion) deal.

Personally, if they strike then I'm hanging it up. I wasn't a huge baseball fan before moving to New England. (I went to the occasional minor league game growing up and the occasional Astros game while living in Houston.) I have plenty of other things to do during the summer and frankly, if they strike I doubt I'll pay much attention to baseball next year.

They're fools if they strike, in my opinion. But, I also believe they are proving themselves TO be fools.

-greg

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm not a big baseball fan but just from what I've picked up on espnradio I don't think that there will be a strike. The players proposal that the owners rejected as a step in the wrong direction was called so because the players want to phase in changes over a period of years while the owners want it all at once. I'm sure that they can compromise on something as trivial as a timeline.
    It sounds to me like both sides have pretty much agreed on a framework for a luxury tax and revenue sharing and they are getting a bit closer in terms of ironing out the numbers. Both sides are sticking to their guns for now but I don't think that they are really stupid enough to trample the goose while fighting over golden eggs.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I bet they'll go right down to the wire. Then at the last minute they'll announce they aren't going to strike. They'll be patting themselves on the back and consider themselves heroes. It'll all look really fake. I think damage is being done even with them just considering a strike.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

(cheerleaders)Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike!(/cheerleaders)

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hoping for something that other people love to be taken away from them... I'm surprised at you, Jeff.

Well, okay, no I'm not.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jason, when pro sports have taken many things I love away from me, I have no sympathy

RIP Earth 2 and Space Above & Beyond killed by the NFL

RIP un-premempted fall programming because of emergency baseball/hockey/football/basketball games

I have a right to be bitter

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Despite all the posturing, they seem to be getting fairly close on things... So many of the folks involved seem spectacularly atrocious at PR, it's actually amusing, at times...
    Jeff:
    If they strike, the time I devote to baseball will be spent creating a pro-Super35 lobby. Be careful what you wish for, I tell you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I hope the players go on strike and they're all fired. Then they can hire people that actually like to -play baseball-, and we can see how a bunch of crybabies do when they try to get real jobs.

I really think getting people who like to play and aren't a bunch of steroid-injecting, money grubbing primadonnas will be a big boost for the game's image and will hopefully restore some of its lost glory.

9. Jeff Kleist

Josh, too true. WAHHH!!! I'm only making 2.3 million dollars a year!
    I'll play for 2!

10. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

They will strike.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Do I think the players are idiots? Yes, I do. But I think the owners are even bigger idiots for letting it get to this point. I don't have a problem with someone trying to get all the money they can for what they do. I know that my job isn't worth anywhere close to a million bucks, but if my employer is stupid enough to pay it, do you think I'll turn it down? No way!
    There certainly has to be a way for them to compromise on what they want so that both sides will be (mostly) satisfied. While I do think that the players are already paid quite handsomely, if the owners have a problem with this and other issues, they need to quit giving in!
    I'm not sure if there will be a strike, but if there is one, I fear for the long term viability of baseball in the public eye. An awful lot of people still remember 1994.

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm not a huge fan of baseball (was not born in the USA) but I do appreciate the game. To be honest the last strike diminished what interest I had in MLB, and have only been to one game since.

I hope they strike! Why? not because I want deprive the true fans of their enjoyment of the game, but because I think that the system is broken. Another strike will severely damage the status quo (after all they have not really fully recovered from the last strike) and maybe a more rational version of the pro game will emerge from the wreckage of the current system.

Anyone who watched any of the Little League World Series recently knows that the spirit of the game is alive and well, and those kids don't even get an extra $5 allowance to play (not to mention all the coaches, umpires etc. are volunteers.)

15. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Sure, just as soon as my Twinkies actually have a chance the bastards strike. [​IMG] If they do, I'm through with MLB for good.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

18. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I have this to say in regards to the MLB baseball strike:
    AMERICA DOESN'T CARE. :p)
    The reason is simple: the #1 sport in the USA is American football, whether college or the NFL. I mean, look at the passion of football fans--they care about their game way more than most baseball fans nowadays.
    Besides, Americans have discovered the amazing success of NASCAR Winston Cup racing. These races have amazingly high TV ratings, and a demographic that is truly an advertiser's dream come true. I think NBC must be thanking its lucky stars they're carrying NASCAR and not the NFL. [​IMG]

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

One thing is for certain, if they do strike both sides will play the Sept 11th card by saying something to the effect, “considering the events of last year how could….”