I'm now a proud member of club Wharfedale...but..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_R, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Al_R

Al_R Extra

....dealing with UBid is no fun at all. Picked up a new pair of the Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mark IV's for 250-dollars including shipping. They sounded great right out of the box and are almost at their 50 hour break in period and keep sounding better.

Trouble is one was damaged, cosmetic only, a 20-inch scrape (more like a gash) right down the side of one of the speakers. I contacted Ubid, and after a week of back and forth they said the *only* thing they could was have me ship them back for refund. I just wanted an exchange and they said that was *not* possible.

Even though they seem to have an endless supply of the speaks no exchange? Checking back at the site I notice they have an auction for several new pairs 239.00 plus 199.00 shipping!?! So basically I could send them back and pay almost double for a new, hopefully undamaged, pair.

Well these sound so good, I'm keeping 'em, scrape and all. I just won't be hanging around Ubid anymore.

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Ubid sells their stuff like auction, they buy second hand and sell....they can't exchange because they don't have any other, and the other ones are already for sale as they cannot take those down and give them to you. well that's how i would interpret it...ubid's prices may be tempting but i doubt i'll ever buy from them again.

3. Al_R

Al_R Extra

That is pretty much the line they gave me. But when you have an seemingly endless supply of these speakers, and few are selling, how can you not have any available for exchange? It makes no sense to me at all. Half of their auctions don't even make sense....wrong specs for products, schizophrenic shipping prices, etc.

Now get this, without even asking me if I wanted a full refund, they have UPS coming over my house to pick up the speakers. They showed up once already. It's crazy. All I asked for was an exchange. Idiots. [​IMG]

The point is the cosmetic damage has no effect on the wonderfull sound of these speakers. I am keeping them until the Ubid police knock my door down and pry them from my dead, cold fingers.

Wharfedale = [​IMG] , Ubid = [​IMG]. That simple.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Al

Call ~{Wharfedale America}~!!!

The number is on the last page of your manual.... Ask for "Jeff" and explain the situation. Make sure you have a copy of your reciept, and if the idiots didn't send one like they did with me, you can go to your page and downlaod a copy.
    Or call Ubid and they will mail a copy to you, 2-5 days...

Wharfedale has excellent CS and would not surprise me if they send you a new speak ASAP. I've seen it done before!

Ubid, when it goes wrong is a nightmare! Do not feel alone.

Call "JEFF" and I bet he helps you out, they do have excellent customer service. The Emeralds are sold in (matching real woodgrain veneer sets), if you didn't notice already. This could pose a problem as I don't know exactly how they or you might want to handel it. If their Black probley not as big a deal, but the lighter woods really show.

If they are new, and you just got them recently as it appears, should not be a problem. Even 3 years later should not be a problem for parts....Drivers, grills, crossovers, binding post, etc.
    Please do call them and let us know how things turn out.
    I've never had a probem with anything at Wharfedale CS, and they have sent me my parts without even asking for the (broken ones back). Didn't even have my receipts for 2 of my 3 sets of Emeralds and they still took care of me. *FREE*
    Shipped Fedex 2-day.....

Good Luck
    Geoff

5. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

6. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Spoke with Jeff at IAG. He says they don't make the Emerald's anymore so he can't really help me out with an exact replacement. They are/were made to order for UBid/Amazon and they don't have any more in stock. He said a "sideways" exchange wouldn't really work either because the Emeralds are so good, I probably would not be satisfied with the sound of a price equivalent replacement.

He said not that the other models are "bad", just that, in his opinion, the Emerald 97's are some of the best sounding Wharfedale has made at that price point.

He could be giving me just a line or maybe the previous poster used up all his good natured customer support, but I have to take him at his word. [​IMG]

He also said Wharfedale has made big strides stateside and this year they expect even more growth. They are keeping their fingers crossed that the Best Buy deal will help make them a household name.

I guess my speakers will just have to remain slightly flawed, It gives them character.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Al

I'm sorry to hear that. Jeff is a square shooter and as I've mentioned in other Wharfedale threads, they are droping lines.

It's a question of taste but the remark that he made to you about the other lines still in production probley are less of a speaker, is probley true.
    The Pacific PI line excluded, but their not made any more either. That line was dropped a number of months ago. The newest Wharfedale "High End Line" (dealer demo and sold only) is a pretty good step up, called the Pacific Evolution line or EVO for short.

They have in the past replaced Ubids damaged in shipment Emeralds before. Real drag that the stock thats out is all that is left. Would imagine parts are still available though...
    Jeff did mentioned a month or so back that many Wharf lines were going to be droped and allot of new stuff was on the drawing boards and in the works.

Well seems time for the black sharpie marker to fix yours up. Enjoy them, they are certainly a steal some times at Ubid "when bought right" and soon to become antiques aparently. Of all the lines, the Emerald is a line that I am really very very surprised they dumped.

I will make a call in the next day or so and see if I can get a replacement cabinet for one of mine. Naturaly I won't take it as I don't need one.
    I'll just see if Jeff is being "square" with you/us. He has always been more than helpfull and a straight shooter. I hope he says the same thing as I would tend to think much less of him/Wharf if he has one available for me but not you!!!!!

I'll let you know/////////[​IMG]
    Geoff

8. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Geoff,

Not a bad idea, I am interested in what he may tell you. I'm hoping it's the same thing he told me or else I'll feel a little hosed. Although, I know these speakers have been sold for quite awhile, and it really wouldn't surprise me if they do not have any replacements. Still, surprising they wouldn't keep making such a fine speaker, if you have a winner why let it go? Still, all in all, I did get a great deal and had I known how good they sounded up front I probably would have paid the same price anyway - "gash" and all. Thanks for all your help and keep us informed.

9. Shane_Lentini

Welcome to club Wharfedale [​IMG] That stinks about the gash bro, but it just gives your speaker some character! If you get real bored is there any way you could touch it up? One of my old subs had a big gash in it (bough it open box). Just filled it with some wood filler, sanded and tried matching the finish best I could, came out pretty good. Good luck and enjoy the speakers!

10. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Yeah, I am sure I could touch it up. But, to be honest, I'm afraid of doing more harm than good. I'm much better at wiring and electronics than I am at woodworking and that ain't so hot either.

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Al

Spoke to IAG (not Jeff, unfortunatly he was out) and some interesting things are going on. First and formost is the Emeralds are on hold for production. They have not TOTALLY dropped the line but are not producing Emeralds at this time. A couple of new lines, (2) currently, are about to be released state side very soon. Time table is ????? No info given!!!!
    These speaks are aside from the Zaldeks at BB!

Wharf is apearently deceiding on if they will continue to refine and produce the Emerald line. I certainly hope so, for the money an excellent speaker line.
    (In production and available for over 3-1/2 years already). MOST speaker component parts are still available for the Emeralds, but "complete speakers or cabinets" are not at this time.

Getting info out of this guy was like pulling teeth. Jeff is the head dog their and is usually more than helpfull, unlike this guy who I really had to work over. I really would prefer to talk with JEFF as he really knows whats going on, where as this guy is down the ladder lets just say. He also mentioned other lines (are going to be pulled also) but would not give up which ones. It's all part of a restructing of Wharfedale "he says" while they try to move back to the more respected Higher End Wharf of old.

Again "brought up",,, the selling of speakers on line threw, Ubid, Amazon, and a few Internet stores is on it's way out.
    Very tight lipped about whats really happening and I had all I could do to get the info I have posted. At least the info I got on the Emeralds not being available for full cabinet replacment, seems to jive with what Jeff told you.

I'm still not totally convienced (especialy with the temporary drop/hold on the Emerald line) and will call again next week to speak with Jeff.
    Seems all of a sudden I need a couple of plinths for my 99's, :b...
    I really do, as different spikes are going to be used. They have been gutted and all new speaks and crossover is my latest project. They are not defective or damaged and I will pay for the pliniths...
    This dose make for a good reason to speak with Jeff as he makes all the deceisions on what goes out as far parts, or free warranted replacment parts.

Sorry to not have been more helpfull and just a few months ago you would have definitly got a replacment speker or cabinet, I am nearly positive. Seen and heard about these problems from Jeff, as a number of speaker cabinets get damaged from shipping when bought threw Ubid. Actualy "fewer now" he said, as opposed to about 8 months ago. They, Ubid changed trucking carriers around then.

Will let you know as I get info, will EMAIL you (if you don't mind), so as to keep it off the board...

Regards
    Geoff

12. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Interesting. Well it looks like what you heard does, in fact, jive with what Jeff told me. You did ask about something i had wondered about - replacement parts, in
    case something does go wrong with the speaks. Feel free to e-mail me directly about any new info - look forward to hearing about what is going on.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sorry about your bad experience with uBid. I've never had an order go wrong either directly from them or through their "uBid partners", and I've bought a fair amount of stuff through those channels. As a matter of fact, I've often gotten stuff from "uBid partners" that was less expensive than the "partner"'s own web site.

Welcome to club Wharf. It's a nice place.

14. Al_R

Al_R Extra

I think that is the key, Phil, when you say you "never had anything go wrong". It's just that when it does "go wrong" customer service with Ubid sucks and you are left high n' dry. Not being able to get a replacement sucks (I realize this is stated somwhere on their site), just something you need to keep in mind when you make that bid.

15. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

At the worst, go down to Home Depot and get some carpenters putty and some matching stain, fill the gash and sand the area as smooth as you can with increasingly better resolution sandpaper, then stain and match as best as possible. It will never exactly match, but will probably look more like a knot in the wood or other problem, and not a huge gash.

Rich

16. Al_R

Al_R Extra

Thanks for the tip!

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

...Unless they're black, then you can just use a Sharpie. [​IMG]

18. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yup, I mentioned that aways up aout time to get the Sharpie out!

They work excellent for covering up scratches, dings, gouges, etc on black speaks.

19. Steve Osborne

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. I own some wharfedales myself: MFM-5, MFM-7, Modus center, Emerald 97, Emerald 99, Emerald center. Lot of bang for the buck. In my unprofessional opinion, the MFM series is similar in sound to the Emeralds, with the MFM being a bit more dry, and the Emeralds being richer in sound. They both have impressive midrange, listen to Diana Krall on them, just wonderful. Emerald Cabinets are well made, especially considering what the price was, some people call them solid wood, but they are veneer on MDF.
    The factory makes the Emerald 97 and Emerald 99 in matched pairs, with the same serial number, they have the same wood grain veneer pattern, impressive at this price point. UBID ships the pair of Emerald 97 together in one large outer factory box, so you get the matched pair. The Emerald 99 gets shipped separately, probably due to the larger size, and you may not get the matched pair. The Emerald crossover was a bit of a downer, it appears to be thrown together by a 2 year old. Can't complain too much, they sound great to me. I too have talked quite a bit with IAG America over the last year or so. I have spoken to Brian, Jeff, and Bob before. Brian told me 2 weeks ago that the Emerald series was still being built for ubid and amazon. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, I might have mentioned things you guys already know. I sure have enjoyed reading the posts here in this forum. Steve

20. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Steve and welcome

What series do you have in the Emerald line, MKIV's or MKII's??

Agreed that at their price point an excellent speaker and the crossovers while certainly far from top of the line, far from junk.
    =====>
    Whom did you talk to that said the Emeralds are still in production as of 2 weeks ago?
    Edit:::::::::>
    I re-read your post and see you spoke with Brian, I apoligize for missing that!! Still seems we are getting conflicting information on the Emeralds!
    End Edit::::::>
    =====>
    I ask because as of 2 days ago this is not what I was told, they are on hold which I found hard to belive. I did not get to speak with Jeff whom I deal with most of the time and has been of up-most help in taking care of parts and just shooting the breeze on whats the latest goings on at Warf.
    =====>
    Being that you own both the 97's and 99's (which series I don't know?) do you find the 97's to be a better sounding speaker than the 99's as I do??
    =====>
    The midrange in the 99's suffers from the larger driver and lower quailty crossover in my opinion. I think it has a muffeled colored sound to it, this in direct comparision to the 3's, 5's, and 7's. Also the bass seems some what fat, no matter the placement. I have both the MKIV & II line. Not terriable (for HT fine) but I really prefer the 5' and 7's to the 9's for music by far.
    These are in a bedroom system that dose both HT and music.
    I disliked the 9's so much that they have been gutted and I am in the process of rebuilding them with all new drivers, lower cabinet reinforcment, crossover parts, and higher quaity spikes.
    The silk tweets are really quite good and are being re-used. The cabinets are really quite beautiful and the matching pair Oak veneer is really something.

Nice to see another Wharf owner here and looking forward to your reply...

Regards
    Geoff