I'm not longer enyoinig my HT!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edil Cajigas, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Edil Cajigas

Edil Cajigas Extra

I remember that the first time that I saw a DVD on progressive mode, I was amazed by the great quality and detail of the image. I promise never to switch back to interlace. Some time has pass and now the more time I spent watching DVDs, the more time I spent looking for artifacts and picture quality and I'm no longer enyoining the "experience" of watchig movies.

Thanks God this have not happened with music, it can be a cheap portatil radio or the biggest exotic hi-fi system and I will enjoy the music.

Is there a cure for my condition?

2. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Sell everything and become a monk.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    you could always sell everything and send the money to me. I'll use the money and upgrade to a nice new 16:9 HDTV set.[​IMG]

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Edil, I understand where your coming from here, it has happened to me as well, but you just have to roll with it. Being a perfectionist comes with the territory of being in this hobby i'm afraid. Don't let it get you down though, the whole point of home theater is to have fun and enjoy your system, if your constantly caught up in analyzing the picture for artifacts and flaws, you can't enjoy yourself and that sucks.
    This is what I do when my mind starts to ponder on such thngs, I ask myself "Have I done everything I possibly could to make my video as perfect as it can be?" and the answer is yes. I have a Sony VVEGA properly calibrated with AVIA, with some tweaks here and there in the service menu. I probably have the best looking dvd picture on the block, if not the nieghborhood(as my location file states, i'm surrounded by J6P's), hell, the video quality on my monitor looks light years better than any t.v. ANY of my family members ever had EVER!
    So am I content with that, absolutly, and than I don't feel as bad about it.
    After that, any artifacts I see in a dvd image are the fault of the dvd, not the shortcomings of my monitor, or the possibility that i'm doing something wrong.
    Once you start entertaining those kinds of thoughts, it's all over, they'll drive you insane.
    So my advice, just try to relax, and enjoy yourself. I mean, how many artifacts can you possibly be seeing watching progressive scan!?[​IMG]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Time for upgrades! :p)

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I have to ask, being relativly new here

What are J6P's??

thanks

P.S. is the Sony WEGA a multisouce monitor or just NTSC

i.e. will it take PAL inputs?

7. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Eric- J6P is short for "Joe Sixpack." It's a derogatory term describing people with less intelligence and those that generally "follow the herd" so to speak. They have no desire to learn and only care about the lowest quality material so they can use their precious entire screen that they paid for. Also, they resist change and will fight to the death to keep things the way they want them to be.

Anywho, that's pretty much who Joe Sixpack is.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The cure is to unplug everything for at least 4 weeks. Don't go to the theaters, rent movies, watch tv, etc. Completely unplug for a while. Next month come back and then start watching your tv only. Following month add in the vcr. In March, add in the dvd player. Come April you can add in your surround sound. You will certainly appreciate it then! [​IMG]