What's new

I'm Not Dead Yet! - Peter O'Toole rejects Oscar (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Great news to hear that Peter O' Toole has decided to change his mind. Fantastic performance in LOA

:emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_M

Screenwriter
O'Toole deserved many Oscars. He managed to carry all of the films he as in. Glad to hear he will be there.

(By the way: I don't count "Caligula" as a film)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
But, at the same time, he could accept this one and still win one outright, right?
Has that ever happened?

I agreed with his initial position...this award is the equivalent of being "put out to pasture." I don't know why he is changing his mind now. :frowning:

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
IMO, if the Academy is too dumb to give Oscars to people when they deserve them then I, in the hypothetical position of an actor offered a lifetime Oscar, wouldn't want to help the Academy save face by giving me one of these statues. If you're going to waste precious Academy Awards by giving them to things like Gladiator and Shakespear in Love then they can remain the fools they've always been, they shouldn't be aided in their attempt to make themselves look better.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The Academy's Board of Governers is giving the honorary award to O'Toole. The people on that board, which consists of probably around 50, have little to do with who wins the awards.

I don't see why some equate the giving of an honorary award with the implication of the ending of a career. Lots of people receive one at the height of their career, like Tom Hanks at last year's AFI. Bob Hope has received an Academy honorary award more than once, right?

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks