What's new

I'm Not Dead Yet! - Peter O'Toole rejects Oscar (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
From the IMDB:

O'Toole Rejects Oscar; Academy Says He Earned It

After receiving a letter from Peter O'Toole appearing to reject an honorary Oscar that the motion picture academy had planned to present to him this year, the academy's board of directors has sent a note to the actor saying, "The board unanimously and enthusiastically voted you the honorary award because you've earned and deserved it." In a handwritten note, O'Toole said that he was "still in the game and might win the lovely bugger outright."

------

I think this is right up there with Hitchcock's "Thank you." speech.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I wish him luck.

He certainly should have had one by now.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I keep hearing that there's been persistent pressure by various Academy members to give honorary Oscars to Doris Day and/or Richard Widmark. This makes alot more sense at this time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The "I'm not dead yet" title is a reference from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and also making fun of the "better give this great [insert filmmmaker/actor/actress/etc here] before he/she dies" mentality with the Academy.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I applaud Peter for saying no. He has the attitude that he still has some good acting performances in him, and that he can still win an Academy Award based on a performance.

As much as I like Peck's performance in To Kill A Mockingbird, I still don't think it held a candle to O' Toole's performance in Lawrence of Arabia.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
While I heartily support Peter O'Toole in his desire to win an actual competitive oscar award, I am disappointed that he has turned the honorary award down. Of course, that disappointment stems from purely selfish reasons. Seeing him accept the award was going to be the highlight of the oscars for me this year, as he has always been one of my absolute favorite actors. Unfortunately, now it looks like I'm just going to have to settle for watching films I don't much care for take home all of the awards (probably). ;)

God bless you, Peter O'Toole! May you someday win the oscar you so richly deserve!

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Well if he just accepts the award, it will almost guarantee he'll win the best actor Oscar next year (see Paul Newman and Henry Fonda).

Chris

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Put aside O'Toole's reaction, I think this is clearly a superior choice by the Academy compared to awarding Robert Redford and Warren Beatty when they are still relatively active in film.

Of course, the Academy still has a far superior track record than the AFI in recent years with figures like Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, De Niro, Dustin Hoffman and so on receiving the much too early life time achievement award.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The saddest one of these was the award for Fred Astaire, given to him the same year he was nominated for best supporting actor (Ghost Story?) and lost. His face accepting his honorary award told everything -- it was a consolation prize like they give out to the losers on game shows.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well I think it's totally wrong for anyone to see a LIFETIME achievement award as a consolation prize. After all they give out 1/4th as many of those as they do Best Actor/Actress/Supporting awards, so it's that much HARDER to get.

And, unlike the yearly awards, a lifetime award can't be won in a moment of infatuation with a certain film, genre, style, etc. And it can't be won by just having one or two great efforts.

The lifetime award is my favorite award of the night because everyone stops to really appreciate a career that stands above all but a rare few.

So I'm glad O'Toole changed his mind. I would think that if he were to get that magic role that was worthy of a future nom that he would get it despite the lifetime award. They aren't exclusive in my mind.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The lifetime award is my favorite award of the night because everyone stops to really appreciate a career that stands above all but a rare few.
Exactly.

I am also glad that Peter changed his mind. Initially I thought it was pretty cool to decline it based on his thinking that he could still win one outright. But, at the same time, he could accept this one and still win one outright, right? :)

I'm sure I will get a bit emotional when The Academy pays him tribute!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks