What's new

I'm normally big on new tech, but i'm not excited for HD-DVD or Bluray (1 Viewer)

London Lawson

Second Unit
Dvds looks fine to me, I just can't seem to get excited for it. Is a 1080p tv needed for the full effect? I have a Samsung 720p/1080i DLP so I don't think I would even get the big supposed jump in quality, correct?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not correct.
Your 1080 vertical lines TV will be able to display HD DVD in full glory (as well as the upgraded SDVDs people are raving about).

Cees

London Lawson

Second Unit
So would there be a big difference between my Xbox 360 hooked with vga for dvds compared to a HD-DVD player? Would the 720p/1080i res of my tv be holding me back?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The maximum vertical resolution of a HD-A1 being 1080 lines, the TV would NOT hold you back, because that's exactly what it can deliver apparently!

In fact, don't set a HD-A1 to 760 lines, owners say, because it converts poorer with that setting.

I'm not familiar with that particular TV set: does it have HDMI input?

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
London, you will notice a difference with what is being touted as the finest HD image yet produced on HD DVD. We have members who are not even purchasing standard DVD any longer, having been blown away by HD DVD.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Better than broadcasts. I think most high-def broadcasts are 720p right. If I am wrong on that someone please correct me. The most important thing is this. Just how far does that high-def broadcast travel from the source to your television? So far that I would waste my time to attempt to figure it out. I would think there could be interference caused by reflection or certain types of radiational noise from so many things. I don't really know for sure, but I have seen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in action, and they look good compared to high-def broadcasts to me.

London Lawson

Second Unit
That's sweet if it looks like that, however I am pleased with dvds, if I stumble upon one for a 100 or less I might get one, if not I will wait until they are at Wal-Mart for 50 bucks.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The reason HD-DVDs should look better than broadcast HD is because it has a higher bit-rate and isn't as compressed, if I'm not mistaken.

And London, I think you have a long wait until you see these things for less than $100. The HD-DVD add-on for the X-Box 360 is rumored to be about $200, if you're a gamer with that console (which I'm guessing from your sig).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
People are spoiled. :)
I bought my first DVD player for > $ 500, back in 1997.

Remember what we payed for those VHS decks?

Cees

London Lawson

Second Unit
Yes I have a 360. I'm also concerned that only the hardcore will buy and it won't take off. My mom and dad just finally bought a dvd player and there is no way they will switch. I would think there are tons of people like this.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I originally was not going to buy HD-DVD and after truely seeing how good it looks. I now have a player on layaway and should have it next week. You can look at it this way London Lawson. By purchasing an HD-A1 HD-DVD player you can go out and buy HD movies and still enjoy your SD-DVD's. You would also end up with a good upconverting dvd player that can improve the resolution of your current SD-DVD library. You can't beat this player for $500, as you are getting a upconvering dvd player and an HD player all wraped up into one. Even if HD-DVD disapears in 2 years you still will have a HD library and all your DVD's you can continue to use with this player. And they will look better than the standard 480p player you are using right now.

Oh lets not forget the improved surround sound formats that have come out for the HD formats as well, (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD).

MarioMon

Auditioning
Have all the kinks been ironed out of the HD-A1? Has dvd navigation improved or still slow like some people have mentioned? I've been looking at getting an upconverting player but I felt its best to roll that money into a HD-A1. I guess I'm one of those that's getting tired of waiting for some good stuff.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

1500 for my portable Beta player (with mono) and 1200 more for the camera.
1000 for our first Hi-Fi VHS deck.
600 for CED player :laugh:
700 for my Toshiba six-head VHS deck.
Would have been 600 for a laserdisc player, but I got it as a gift, one year before DVD really started to take off.
700 for my first DVD player (a Toshiba). Still use it as my primary player.
600 plus tax for the HD A1. Just waiting for confirmation that a player is available from the store where I bought it.

I know the question was rhetorical, but it is interesting to remember how much has been spent on video gear. The other interesting thing is that the price on the Toshiba HD A1 seems to be within the average price range of a lot of the other gear I have purchased.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you have the money NOW, buy the HD-A1. I know that I
don't want to watch SD-DVDs anymore.

It will be a long time before you see these players drop to $100.

By the time they drop to $300, most people will be turned on to
picture quality that exceeds the compressed HD broadcasts you
see on DirecTV and cable.

I have no doubt that word-of-mouth and eventual lower prices
(but not $100) will catapult the HD-DVD format.

It's more than worth $500 now for a top quality machine.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Could you clarify what you are referring to here? Just want to be clear on your point of reference. Are you talking about regular movies (shot on film), or are you talking about the quality you see with nature shows, documentaries, etc... (shot on Hi-Def video)?

Keep in mind that you should not be expecting movies to look like nature shows filmed with Hi-Def cameras. Hi-Def video is the type of thing that typically gives the viewer the impression of "looking out a window".

While movies on film look wonderful and beautiful (and actually initially had more resolution than Hi-Def video when captured on film), they generally have a distinctly different feel about them that is part of the way most films are made (grain inherent to the film stock, 24 frames per second, etc...) which gives a somewhat "dream like quality" to them that isn't usually the same "it's like looking out a window" effect as Hi-Def video.

Also many movies have very different "looks" to them. Depending on the way it was shot and processed some can approach that "window" look, but others can be very dark, gritty, etc... What excellent HD DVDs (and BDs) should do is present a movie that makes the eagle eyes among us say "Wow, that looks just like film", not "Wow, that's like looking out a window".

If you are referring to Hi-Def movies you saw on Discovery HD, then you probably don't need the above info. But I just wanted to be sure we're all on the same page here and your expectations are in tune with reality.

Moves on HD DVD look fantastic and much better than DVD (especially the larger your screen size gets), but I've read reports of disappointment from some people early on who sampled the format and expected Hi-Def movies to look like Hi-Def video.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

It depends on the network broadcasting the HD material. IIRC, ABC and FOX are 720p, while CBS, NBC, CW (WB/UPN) are 1080i.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks