1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new here: advice on receiver, Denon 2802 / Deno 3802?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernard L, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone.
    I'm looking on spending a bit of money.
    lets just say my limit is around $1500 USD.
    what's the best and most worthwhile receiver I could get my hands on at this price?
    use is 90% music, 10% DVDs
    for speakers, I'm planning on this:
    immediately purchase Paradigm studio 100
    later purchase is Paradigm surround speakers, centre, and HSU TN1225 sub. (but these will be around 18 months later)
    ------------------
    I love you!! YES YOU!!!

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Those are both pretty good receivers. When i went shopping for receivers, I went to stores with my own CD's. I suggest you do that and listen to receivers and speakers that you are shopping for. For receivers, I'd say look into Yamaha RX-V1200 and 2200. Onkyo TX-DS 696 and 797 or Integra DTR 6.2, 7.2 or 8.2. Also the NAD T-761. Marantz SR 6200 and SR 7200. I myself have a Marantz SR 6200. Its very good for music but I'm having problems with it right now (its being repaired) and I would say wait until they fix the bugs. To give you an idea, if they don't fix my receiver properly, I will look first into an Onkyo TX-DS 797 and if not that, then a Yamaha RXV-1200 or 2200. My tastes are 75%-90% music.
    Also, for the money, I highly recommend the PSB Image speaker line. Exceptional sound quality for the money and very well matched, (front, center, left and surround speakers) all share the same drivers (same tweeters and mid-woofers).
    Instead of the Paradigm Studio 100, I suggest the PSB image 6T (which is exactly what I bought [​IMG] ). It will handle the same amount of power, is more efficient, plays just as low (BASS), infact you can argue that it plays lower. Also, because it is 6 ohms vs 8 ohms, you will get a bit more power out of your amplifier, provided your amp can handle the current. Then you can later get an 8 or 9C center and 1 or 2B surrounds.
    I bought the 6T's for less than $1000.00 (plus tax) and I love them.
    Its all up to you. Go and listen. I just thought I'd give you some input from my experience.
    BTW, Are you who I think you are?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 10, 2001 at 08:06 PM]

3. Bernard L

thanks Chris,
    I'll look up the PSB speakers...
    and how should I know if you think you know who I am??? [​IMG]

4. Bernard L

oh goodness, from the website, the PSB 6T speakers look pretty ugly compared to the Paradigm studio series [​IMG].
    oh well, lets see how they sound next week.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ugly? I don't think they look ugly at all. One thing you might appreciate is the grille. If you look at some tower speakers, the grilles break up the front facia because the grille only covers part of the front of the tower speaker. The 6T's grilles cover the entire speaker. Its a nice seamless look. It matches the center channel and surround speakers really well.
    Here, I'll do a little quiz. Where is you fave site to "Mulch" at [​IMG] ? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you won't have a answer. If you are who I think you are, you are spending way more on speakers and stuff than I did at your age.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 05:07 PM]

6. Bernard L

from the "mulch" quotations, I don't think I know you since I've never used that word before (online at least).
    but I do spend lots of time on forums.
    primarily anandtech.
    anyway, I am still pretty young, turning 22 in a few months! My spending habits are wierd though, like 0 spendings for 3-4months, then BOOM, one BIG purchase! [​IMG]

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ok, so I'm not a meatball, but you're not who I thought you were [​IMG] The reason I thought I knew you is because where I work, we have a 17 year old co-op student from Highschool named "Bernard Law". So there you go. I like your email, by the way. Since you had a goofy email, I was pretty sure you weren't a 45 year old video/audiophile.
    That's cool about your speaker shopping. I really strongly suggest taking your CD's and going to listen. I strongly suggest the PSB Image 6T because it is 2 dB more efficient and it is a 6 ohm speaker. Those 2 factors combine to give you more sound per dollar that you spend on amplification. I had older speakers that are 8 ohms and similar efficiency to the Studio 100 and I notice a large difference in the volume of the new speakers. I would be interested to compare the speakers myself, actually. How much are the Studio 100's anyways?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 09:50 PM]

8. Bernard L

actually, I've only been internet shopping for the last few weeks because my life is soo busy.
    it's not easy being in 3rd year university with 140% course load and holding one full time and one part time job. [​IMG]. But I do get the benefit of buying expensive stuff, it all pays off [​IMG]
    I think I'll have a few hours free after x-mas to test out the studio 100s. and maybe I'll test out the PSBs too.
    so where do you do your audio shopping? this is going to be my first soundsystem and I want it to be 'great'. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    I love you!! YES YOU!!!

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    hi Bernard, Welome.
    Well, i too like PSB's, but i dont think they compare to Studio 100's [​IMG]
    Theyre in two different price ranges also, so its not a fair comparison.
    For the money tho, Id definitely take the PSB's.
    If you can afford it, go with the 100's, you wont regret it.
    I have the Denon 3801, same as the 3802 except for minor upgrades. You can get it for about $800-$900 right now i think. Very affordable and a very nice piece.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."