What's new

I'm new... and it shows :) (1 Viewer)

Eddie Clark

Auditioning
I just rearanged my living room a few days back and I realized that i need some kind of sound system hooked up to my tv. So i dug out an old reciever (and I mean OLD it's a JVC JA-S22 from 1979... i said it was old) and went out and did some speaker shopping and ended up with a pair of JBL N26ii's. I was just wondering a few things, is there any way to hook up a center speaker on an amp that's not designed for it (and yes, i'll be picking up a new receiver asap :) ) and on that note what receivers blend well with JBL speakers.

thanks in advance,
-Eddie

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I don't think there is a way to add a center speaker to a stereo receiver, in fact, you might blow up your existing amp.

I assume you are using a DVD-player's 5.1 outputs? If you're really determined to hear a center channel you could connect the center-out to the TV's speaker-in jacks via a y-connector. Crude, but it might work.

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
I am running 2 JBL 312's. SCenter, and 2 S26II's on the rear with a AVR-525. I like it.. no complaints.. The only thing I would complain about is when you play CDs or any audio source that has "tracks" when you go to a new track it tries to auto detect the coding of the music, and skips for a split second.

Eddie Clark

Auditioning
I'm not to desparate to try any really weird wiring :)

the avr-525 is HK right? I really liked that amp but I just got married and I can't afford $1700 right now

Cheers,
-Eddie

Bob Elliott

Agent
Larry_S how did you get the AVR-525 for $569 at Circuit City? I have been shopping around for a while and thought I woudl have to get it over the internet. I woudl rather buy locally in case there is a problem it would be easier to exchange.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Larry_S how did you get the AVR-525 for $569 at Circuit City?
Re-read the post. It's the AVR-325 for $569 at C.C. - not the AVR-525 which is still $799.

However, if you have a "friend" that works for C.C. - you might want to see if they can pick you up a receiver as a "gift." I saw another post a few days back where the employee price of the H/K AVR-7200 was $900 at C.C. - Not a bad discount ... not bad, at all.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
There would probley be alot more people after part times jobs at CC if you guys knew some of the deals we can get.
And we can get them on products other than what we carry, like Polks, LSi line at nearley 60% any Monster products at 60% & many others that you don't see in the stores.
Sorry though guys this isnt an invite for me to buy products for anyone, just giving an example.
I will be the first to admit I know quite a few people look down at these types of stores because they normally hire a bunch of half witted kids. But to tell you the truth it can be a very fun place to work, & the deals you can get are just sometimes unreal.
Eddie, If you are really looking for something & you happen to be shopping at any of the CC stores Audio stuff is dropping big time so the new model stuff can come in.
We have several Polk & Infinity speakers on sale for below our store cost, & thats brand new in the box. And I have seen two H/K 525's go out of the store for less than 600, But these were open box items. If your not worried about OB stuff you can get some pretty sweet deals sometimes if you just look around. You may even want to ask what is avaible as alot of times there will be alot of things that are not out but are avaible.
I hope this dosent sound like I'm trying to sell here cause by all means I'm not. I'm just pointing out the fact that you can get some sweet deals right now. And thats not just with CC, most places are making room for the new right now so the old is giong pretty cheap.

Eddie Clark

Auditioning
those got to be american prices... please tell me they are! :)

i think i'll check out the ob specials at future shop over the next couple of days...

Cheers,
-Eddie

RichardHOS

Second Unit
OK, it's late and I'm fixing to get some sleep so I'm not going to go into much detail here... but for some reason the original question captured my interest.

I know that in line level form it isn't difficult to build simple analog circuits that compare input Left and Right signals and output L, R, and (L+R)-((L-R)+(R-L)) signals. In other words, generate a center channel signal that is the summation of left and right channels, minus the information that is unique to both left and right channels. Or, put another way, the center channel is only the information that is common between L and R channels.

Not sure of the proper way to write that signal format, lol.

Also not sure if there is an easy passive filter system that will work adequately (whatever that means) at the speaker level.

And it would probably sound crappy to boot, as that's about the crudest way of generating a center channel as is possible. I suppose you could get more sophisticated and instead of outputting a normal L and R channels, you could create a L-R and R-L channel. :)

Hey... you asked. lol.

OK, time to go to bead.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Having set up several HT systems for friends, I usually go with a Yamaha receiver, JBL, Energy or Paradigm speakers. Seems to bring out the highs according to a rooms furnishings..... These friends ahve heard my system which uses a Yam RXV-1 with some older JBL speakers and it kinda locks them in....
Several receivers out there will do a great job for ya and the choice of JBL is certainly in your favor regardless....

Eddie Clark

Auditioning
well i just got very booked up tday at work and it looks like I may have a new contract... i should be able to get my self a reciever by the end of next week!

Donny: what yamaha reciever would you recommend? (give a few within different price ranges)

Cheers,
-Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks