What's new

I'm never setting foot in Comp U$A again. (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
99.99% of my hardware (3 PCs) are bought via the internet. I neglected to order an IDE and CD-ROM audio cable for the OEM drives I ordered on-line. *DOH!* So I think to myself "Self, just go down to Comp USA for the cables. It's right around the corner and I'm sure they'll have plenty in stock." So I hop in my car, zip down, my street and make one turn and VOILA!, I'm at Comp USA. *humming* I find what I need, look on the packaging for a price, all I see is "Professional Grade this and Professional Grade that" and no price. I find the tags I'm looking for, [rant]HOLY COW! $50 for an IDE and CD-ROM audio cable![/rant] I put the cables back, walked out feeling violated and I didn't even pay for the overpriced cables. So I drove around a few miles and found a PC store. 8 bucks I spend on the cables I need. 8 stinkin' bucks! Who pays Comp U$As prices and how do they stay in business!?!?!?!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Wow, that's worse than the $25 1.5m Toslink cable from Radio Shack! When I got a CD-RW at work, it came with an IDE cable with it, perhaps I should setup a stand outside my local CompUSA and hawk it for $30?
:)
Jay

Roy C.

Second Unit
Jay,

that's one of the differences between OEM and Retail drives. OEM components as a whole come plain, with nothing whatsoever, and retail ones come with cables, software, longer warranty, etc. That's also why there is a price difference between the two.

Later,

Roy C.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
A while ago the company I work for had an employee discount deal with CompUSA... everything was 10% over cost. There usually wasn't much savings (if any) on software, and most hardware... but cables and connectors were completely different. I'd take a $20 cable to the service desk to check the discount price and was very often told, "That'll be $2.78" or something like that. The mark-up was incredibly high on cables.

-Steve

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If I'm not mistaken, Monster now makes phone and USB cables for PCs. Perhaps they got into the IDE cable market also?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks