What's new

I'm moving to the State of Washington: Help me find a good area near McChord AFB ! (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hi Folks!
In about 2 1/2 weeks my wife and I will be moving from our current apartment near Biloxi, MS - to somewhere near McChord AFB in Tacoma, WA. Neither I nor my wife has ever traveled to the Pacific Northwest and we are both looking forward to the move.
The on-base housing at McChord has a waiting list lasting anywhere from 6-12 months+, so it looks like I'll have to find an aprtment/rental somewhere close to McChord, which is fine by me :)
I just need to find out what areas to avoid and/or what areas to consider. I would prefer my commute be less than 20 minutes away - but would consider up to 45 minutes (one way) if the area I'm living is worth it.
------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Any small towns/areas that can be reccomended?
My wife and I both seem to like - via the internet anyway :) the areas of Puyallup to the NE and Tumwater to the S-SW of McChord.
Q: Any specific apartment communities near McChord that can be reccomended?
Apartments we have looked at online and have liked:
Breckinridge - Tumwater, WA - Seems kinda pricey - but looks very nice!
Breckinridge Heights - Tumwater, WA - Seems kinda pricey - but looks very nice!
Village at Seely Lake - Lakewood, WA - Seem fairly nice - decently priced - but it's in Lakewood (see below)
Q: What areas should I try to avoid?
I have heard from some people to avoid the town/city of Lakewood, WA. Is this a true statement? Both McChord AFB and Fort Lewis Army Post border this town...so I can imagine this statement to be correct.
Or - should I look into renting a house? Or even better - Purchasing a 1 acre plot of land and putting up a manufactured home maybe :)
And I'm not kidding.......most of the apartments seem to be renting for $800+ for a 2 BR/1-2BA w/ 1000 sq ft. Rent for a 3 BR/ 2BA Manufactured Home w/ 2nd living room (or let's call it Mike's HOME THEATER...or maybe better - Mike's Mobile Theater
wink.gif
are around $500 month.
Help me out here....I need some direction :)
Too many choices......
Thanks for ANY AND ALL HELP!
Thanks for any feedback
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Ron Harrison

Auditioning
hey mike
I am also from gulfport/biloxi area.
Been here 13 years,in lakewood, dont beleive what you hear, Lakewood's a nice place.
the Pacific Northwest Rules!!!!!!!
email me and ill try to set you in a great location.
Right on, someone from the old stomping grounds!
Alot of outdoor activities, great music scene, sports,
'Mariners rule in 01" Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens etc,etc,
see ya
ron

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Michael,
Ron's spot on re: Lakewood. It's a nice place in the middle of some that are less so. My Ma taught piano in a music shop there for a number of years when I was a kid. Very pretty area.
Tumwater, Olympia, and Lacey are basically one sprawling town. I grew up there, and most of my immediate family live there still. Lacey is closest to McChord, then Oly, with Tumwater being furthest south. There are some pretty nice neighborhoods on the northern fringes of Lacey. My sister and brother in law live out that way. It's a nice quiet place with good neighbours, and plenty of space. He commutes to Tacoma, and she works in Oly. He's not too bugged by the commute, 30-45 min, which is about double what it would take you to get to McChord.
Other than that, I'd suggest focusing south of base. Northwards into Tacoma will kill your commute pretty quick.
Welcome to the Great Northwest! I'm sure you'll love it.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the information guys! My wife and I can't wait to get up there - just not looking forward to the long drive, which will be 3000+ miles :).
I have been calling most of the apartment communities the past several days to get more info from them. We will definitely wait until we get up there to make a final decision on where we are going to live - as we kinda got burnt when we moved from overseas to down here (Biloxi) - choosing what we thought was a good apartment community which really turned out to be not so friendly (mainly the staff). But it's okay.
It's good news to hear positive things about the Lakewood area. As it seems the majority of apartment choices are in this area. Thanks for clearing up my mis-information about Lakewood.
Ron: YGM - Any info/help is appreciated!
Thanks again ! Anyone else have information fro me? We leave for Washington in about 2 weeks! Can't wait!
Mike

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Tumwater might be a little far. I'd definately look around Lacey if you want to live in South Puget Sound. I also like Orting but that might be too far.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks