I'm moving to Japan!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by greggor, Sep 28, 2003.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    About six months ago I recieved orders to Japan and this week My family and I are moving out of our house, and tying up loose ends before we leave on the 10th of October. I just wanted to say bye to everyone here on the forum until we get to Japan and get set up.

I'm sure going to miss friends, family and the American way of life, however I am looking forward to getting my hands on some cutting edge technology and upgrading to separates while I'm there so it won't be all bad.[​IMG] Take care guys this forum has been a wealth of information over the years.

Greg

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    You do speak and read Japanese, right? Otherwise a lot of that cutting-edge tech will be a lot of nothing... hell, it'll all be Chinese for all you know! [​IMG]

Have a great move!

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Now THAT"S quite the move!

It's sure to be an adventure.

Goodluck !

Brent

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Good luck Greggor and have fun. Be careful on those upgrades. Japan has 220v current.

5. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Good luck on the move - Japan has 100v current, not 220 btw [​IMG]

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

7. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Yes I'm in the military and will hopefully be living on base. The houses on base all use 220. From what I have been told many of the audio/video devices sold in Japan have the capability to switch from 220 to 100.

Has anyone here ever lived in japan before? If so how did you/your families like it? This will be for three years so hopefully my wife and daughters will be able to adapt. Our sense of adventure should make the whole experience an enjoyable one.

Greg

8. Lew Crippen

Yes—a couple of times and I loved it.

Without knowing your family it is a bit hard to predict how they will react. But if I were giving advice, it would be to make sure that you get out of the base environment a lot and really experience life in Japan (as opposed to the quasi-U.S. lifestyle in the military).

9. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for the advice Lew. We plan on taking full advantage of what Japan has to offer and experiencing as much as we can. There is a very good possibility we may end up living out in town, which can be quite a hassle from what we have told thus far.

After 12 years in the Navy and several duty stations later I couldn't agree more. Infact most of the negative things we've heard about japan came from people who lived on base and never "explored". Were you stationed there at one time?

Greg

10. Lew Crippen

11. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Onbase housing in Japan, at least in Misawa and Yokota and Camp Zama, uses 100V 50Hz AC. The only 200V would be for your dryer and stove.

12. Quincy

Quincy Stunt Coordinator

I lived on Camp Sagami Depot which is 15-20 miles from Camp Zama and I remember having a blast. I lived there for 3 years from 87-90. It was wonderful going off base and seeing all the sites.

P.S. I bought electronics offbase all the time while I was there and never had a problem plugging them in while there or back here in the US.