What's new

I'm moving. Have questions! (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I moved my fragile, expensive, not too large or heavy stuff myself.

I tagged my my bags and boxes with masking tape labels indicating "basement", "garage", "bedroom 1, 2, 3" (with corresponding signs on each door) The movers were able to complete my short distance move in about 2 hours and had everything where I wanted it.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, moving your electronics yourself is a great idea...unless you're me and and you drop your VCR in the middle of the street. Luckily it was old. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
DO NOT USE STARVING STUDENTS!!!

as others have noted, they are neither starving, nor students. literally every story i've heard about them has not been good.

i think hiring movers is a good idea. we used "a better moving company" and were very happy. i've recommended them to other people (my sister used them just this last weekend) and have had good results. maybe they're in LA and you can check them out?

it may cost you a little more, but there is nothing like seeing them huff and puff and move all your heavy awkward stuff while you just say "put it there please!". plus they usually cover (up to a certain amount) for any damage they do.

all while you sit on the lawn with your lemonade.

also, if you do hire movers, think about giving them a tip. i think i ended up giving something like 15.00 each - i know it's not much but they seemed appreciative.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
also, if you do hire movers, think about giving them a tip. i think i ended up giving something like 15.00 each - i know it's not much but they seemed appreciative.
Definitely tip them. If you have a lot of furniture or heavy items or the weather sucks or its multiple floors. Or if they do a really good job tip them accordingly. I think for the 2 movers that moved me I gave them $30 each. They earned it. Moving is expensive and you should budget for the tip.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Having moved upteen thousand times I pretty much have it down to a science.

1. Go through all your stuff first and have a shredder and trash bags handy. What good is it to transfer 14 years of crap from one place to another? This includes photos, bills, and everything else under the sun. If you're a pack rat this can be difficult. For that matter, it is a difficult but neccessary evil.

2. Make sure the fridge at the new place has stuff to drink (water, soda, beer for afterwards) in there at least 24 hours before hand. Also have toilet paper ready to go in the bathrooms. These items are essential.

3. Pack by room and clearly mark all boxes where you want them to go. Not in some scientific notation only you can comprehend but living room, dining room, bedroom, etc. Put post-it notes on the doors or walls of the new place if need be.

4. Have a couple people at your new place to help put stuff up. Could be Mom and you.

5. You did remember to have all utilities turned on by the time you move in, didn't you?

6. Pack stuff now. You'd be amazed at what you truly need.

7. Do a night before the big move walk thru of your new place. Picture where you want everything. Double check drinks, lights, toilet paper, etc. May want to have snacks there too.

8. Plan, plan, and plan some more. Organize the stuff. Your friends may still love you after the move is done. Easiest move I ever did was when everything was clearly marked and able to be unloaded room by room.

9. Party for the friends who helped you move. Pizza and drinks immediately after the move. House warming party two to four weeks later.

10. Do not rush the job. I know you want to get settled into your new home but relax. You have all day to get there.

As an aside, anything heavy, take care of it. If there is an aquarium empty at least half the water out and prepare the fish for transport. You can also get boxes from anyone who works in information technology. Take some of the stryofoam too as you can cut that into the size pieces you need. Have plenty of packing tape and a black marker handy while packing for you do not want to guess where things go. In that regards write everything down clearly. Make plans for pets, if applicable. You do not want the dog or cat to get trampled on. Pick 'em up after the move is complete.

I realize most of this is common sense, or so one would think, but please go through it. Moving can be either a royal pain in the rear or something you do without thinking about it because everything already has been taken care of.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bryan, that's great advice. I'll make a note of that for my next move. :)

And remember, the cardinal sin of moving is to not be packed when your friends arrive to move you! I helped move a friend who didn't have time to pack before we arrived. It was very inefficient and wasted a lot of our time. :frowning:

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all of you for your great advice. It has certainly helped me figure out how to go about this. I think I found a mover: Beverly Hills Transfer. My company uses them to move offices, so I gave them a call. $75 per hour with a minimum of 4 hours. No extra charges for weekends. No surcharges. They seem real straight forward. No dings against them from the BBB, either. They also have a picture of their employees on their web page, and they all look mighty nice! :wink: They will be moving the big stuff, and I have some friends who will move the boxes. Going to try to get most of that moved the week before.

Make plans for pets, if applicable. You do not want the dog or cat to get trampled on. Pick 'em up after the move is complete.
This is one thing I'm worrying about. I could board my cat, but because of the timing, I would have to leave her in from Friday to Monday. That would break my heart. I was thinking about shutting her in the bathroom with her stuff, while the movers were here and going back to pick her up when the stuff is moved. I don't know. That would certainly freak her out, too. Ah...decisions!

Measured the living room and the HT stuff will fit! Yeah! The only problem is figuring out the placement of the rear speakers and how to run the speaker wire so it is unobtrusive. I'm sure that will work out, though.

Thanks again!!!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
No problem! Can a friend watch your cat for you for a day or two? All you want is your cat out of the way while people are going back and forth. Could drop the cat off Friday night and then pick her up Saturday night after everything is in the new place.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
We just moved, and I hope I never have to move again. I won't hijack your thread with my tales, but I feel for you. Good luck!

(Ours cost $2700 to move us 2 blocks. It took 8 guys 8 hours and they worked HARD! Luckily, the city of Chicago paid for it :emoji_thumbsup: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks