What's new

I'm moving. Have questions! (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I will be moving the second week of September. It's a local move, only 16 miles away. I have some questions, as I have never made a big move before. I did move from Pennsylvania to California, but I didn't own anything back then! I have lived in my current apartment for 14 long years. The amount of stuff I've accumulated is amazing.

1. Moving Company: I am wary of all moving companies, as I hear a lot of horror stories. I booked Starving Students. They are $75 an hour, minimum of 2 hours, with a 9% surcharge for WC and a 9% surcharge for gas. I figure it will take about 4 hours (looking at around $400). No surcharge for supplies. Anyone have any experience with them? What kind of things should I be aware of as far as them trying to pad the bill? This is the only time I wished I had a husband! :D

2. Moving electronics: I'm guessing I shouldn't trust my home theater and computer equipment to the movers. Should I get some friends to help me move that stuff? I have a 43" RPTV. Don't know if my friends can handle that. Should I let the movers handle that? Aye! My head is spinning.

3. Appliances: I will have to buy a washer/dryer. range and refrigerator. Somebody has suggested I buy used. Any experiences with that? I'm kind of set on buying new, but if I could save the money, that would be great.

I probably have more questions, but I can't think of them right now. Any tips or advise on painless moving would be appreciated! I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown before this is all over! :eek:

Kevin-M

Agent
$400?!? You've got to be kidding me! I've moved 2000 pounds of furniture and goods across the whole country for around $620.

I'd recommend renting a cube-van and getting your friends to help you. The cube-van would probably be less than $70 bucks for the whole day, and you spend maybe another $30 buying beer and pizza for your friends.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
3. Appliances: I will have to buy a washer/dryer. range and refrigerator. Somebody has suggested I buy used. Any experiences with that? I'm kind of set on buying new, but if I could save the money, that would be great
I can answer this much as I have moved myself in the past but as of recent I've bought alot of appliances because the house we bought had old ones or the ones my wife had were not very good.

Buy Maytag. They are built to last and will last you for 10+ years w/o an issue(generally). Places often don't try to sell you an extended warranty on Maytag either :)

Range: Is this a combo range/oven? Or just a stove top range? If its a combo, i'd consider a convection oven if you cook alot. However this can be a little pricey. If you can't swing it, then a normal Maytag oven is fine.

You'll pay more for Maytag but you will wish you had Maytag if you buy another brand :) They aren't that much more than the other brands like GE(which is crap), and Whirlpool which is pretty middle of the road.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I would recommend hiring someone to move as most if not all movers are insured. If your buddy drops your receiver then chances are it's too bad for you.
I would suggest video taping the actual packing and loading that they do. This way you will have proof that "That crack wasn't already on your TV screen".
I think the fact that they are insured will give you peace of mind.
Plus if you want a little bit better in the way of service, casually ask them what the average tip they receive is or if it is appropriate to tip moving guys. This way they will work a little harder knowing that you know it's appropriate to tip the moving guys especially if they do a bang up...er, good job :) .

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Pamela, try asking the Better Business Bureau if they have a list of reputable and disreputable movers. If any of your friends have hired movers in your area, ask them who they hired and how was the service. Live accounts of moving experiences are always your best bet.

I hired my mother's moving company for my big move a few years ago. It cost me about $1200 Canadian ($900 US) including storage of all my possessions at their warehouse for two weeks while I had the new places painted and cleaned (it's much easier to do when the place is empty).

All that was damaged was one wine glass and one cheap ceramic cup. The home theater gear came through without so much as a scratch (everything was packed in their original boxes).

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Their quote seems reasonable to me. For local moves you typically pay by the hour for a truck and 2 movers with a minimum number of hours (did your quote include 2 movers?). I would make sure they have insurance and find out what their liability is if they drop or break anything. I don't know that friends could move your electronics any safer than movers, assuming they are experienced. A little investigation, Internet check or BBB as was suggested earlier would be in order.

Many of the horror stories you read are on cross country type moves. In this case you're dealing with estimates based on weights which can be very misleading. Local moves should be strictly by the hour. Good luck with your move.

I went back and did an internet search on Starving Student Movers Los Angeles. Some of the feedback was a little dated but it was all negative. You may want to do some checking, or get married before your move

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After watching those heart-wrenching TV report specials on unscrupulous movers, make sure you sign a binding estimate with the mover of your choice because otherwise, they could play "keep away" with your stuff until you fork over even more money.

For such a short move, I'd still go the "rent a truck, find some friends" route, especially just for the big stuff (bed, dressers, TV, etc), and then move the little stuff at your own pace if it fits in your car or truck with multiple trips. I have no confidence in movers nowadays.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you're moving 14 years of possessions, I recommend all of the above: hire the local movers and ask friends to help. I helped a friend with this sort of move (in town, going from one house to another) and it was a pretty good process. The movers could do all of the big stuff and boxes. I and other friends could help with the random things that don't pack well or are inefficient for movers to spend time on.

Just be sure to have water and lemonade available for all, and defintely pizza (or food of choice) for friends afterwards.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
If you're moving 14 years of possessions, I recommend all of the above: hire the local movers and ask friends to help
I think I'll go that way. I was just given an extra week, so that should give me time. A friend of mine volunteered her brothers to help. They're 18 and 21. I told them I give them cash and buy them a cheap hooker. :D

I have to buy all of the appliances and bedroom furniture. This is costing me a small fortune. Plus, I'm going to have to hire someone to put the dryer vent in, and I might have to have the garage rewired for 220 V (for the dryer). I just bought a new DVD recorder, but I didn't even open it up. I sent it back. Looks like HT will have to take a back seat at the moment. Remind me that moving is a good thing...

Kevin-M

Agent
If your really stuck for cash on the appliances, you could always go to one of those Rent-To-Own places, or at the very least use one of the big chains "Don't Pay For X Years!" deals(even though they're kind of a rip-off).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Pam:

Click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll fill out a form listing your items, the services you need, etc. and you'll get back up to 8 quotes from local moving companies affiliated with the site. I used this when I was moving last year and found a company that gave me a flat rate quote for a move (no hourly rate, no hidden extras) and did a fine job on it. So fine that when my sister moved a few months later she called them herself. And I've just called them yet again since an odd set of circumstances requires that I move yet again, in the same general area. (In fact, I'll be about half way between where I am now and where I lived last year, if you can believe it.)

Absolutely hire insured local movers for things like your electronics. You may want to oversee disconnecting them, but you should definitely let someone who can cut you a check if he drops something move them. (And pack them if you can arrange/afford it.) I was moving a 56" big screen TV and certainly didn't want to be responsible if it fell off the back of the truck. (Actually, I was kinda hoping the movers would drop it since its an old analog NTSC job, and the only suitable replacements would all be digital and HD ready. :))

Provided you are the type who will make sure to pay them off before the deadline, those big chain "no interest no payment" deals are hard to beat when it comes to major appliances. They buy you some much-needed time and allow you to spread the payments over up to two years. That's $20 or so a month for a top-of-the-line clothes dryer, say. (Heck, I paid around $500 a few years ago for a not-so-top-of-the-line washer and dryer set. ;))

Good luck on the move.

Regards,

Joe

Compare Movers

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
When I moved from my apartment to house I hired local movers. It wasn't buy the hour. It was by how much stuff you had. It was $280 and they were awesome.

I moved all my components except my tv myself, but it was only 27". I also moved all my computer, dishes and basically anything that could break by myself. I let them move the monitors and anything big.

If you have them move electronics make sure its ALL ready to go when they get there. All they should have to do is pick it up, put it on the truck then unload it at the destination.

For appliances I have all whirlpool appliances.

The first 2 times I moved I just had friends bring over their pickups and the first time I got a uhaul and invited everyone over. Thats ok, but it is a lot of work. Not just moving stuff yourself but coordinating everything so you can have the most people around to help and then feeding them all. Its a great way to show off the new place, but it really is just one more hassle you have to worry about. Remember your friends aren't insured if they drop something but the movers are.

If you pick movers, a few weeks before hand you should get something in the mail with your quote and a pamphlet with all your rights detailed. If they aren't insured and usually they need to be part of some movers group then I wouldn't use them. The group I hired sent 2 people, and it was quite amazing. One of them was picking up and moving couches by himself along with other very large items. You'd almost think they had done it before :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I thought about those "buy now, pay later" deals, but I don't want the debt hanging over my head. Thankfully, I have the bestest mom in the whole world. She called me tonight and told me she would buy the appliances for me as my "house-warming" gift. She's absolutely thrilled that I'm moving. She's been wanting me to move for years, so she wants to help out. Whew, that's a load off my mind.

Click on the link below and follow the instructions.
Thanks for the tip, Joseph! I filled out the info. Hope to hear something on Monday.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Pamela
I have read some horrible stories about starving students. They have nothing to do with either part of their name. Maybe closer to 'Crackhead thieves with no insurance or brakes'.
It might be a little difference between the one up here and the one down there but I wouldn't chance it
Good Luck
Grant

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious, Pam, but to which area are you moving? This side of the "hill"? Or somewhere in the Valley? As for electronics, move these items yourself, in your car. No one else will treat them the way you prefer. And when the movers tackle your Hitachi, supervise them closely.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Curious, Pam, but to which area are you moving?
I'm moving to Burbank. Through a friend of a friend, I got a great one bedroom cottage with a garage, large patio and little yard with fruit trees—everything I've wanted! And it's the same rent as I pay for my Alhambra apartment dump! :D I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where to put my HT in the living room, though. It's shaped differently, and that's posing a problem.

As far as carrying my electronics, I can carry most stuff myself, except the heavier stuff, like the amp, monitor and printer.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Best advice I can give you for moving:

1. Pack everything yourself, if possible. Use original boxes, esp. for the electronics, or double-box them with plenty of stuffing. Saves on time later.

2. Get some friends to help with the easy, nonbreakable, light stuff - lamps, books, printers, pictures, electronics, etc., etc. Know any home theater fans in the area? They know the headache of putting together a new HT and might help... and they've handled electronics before...

3. Hire some sort of local moving company to handle the big, breakable, heavy stuff - books (if you have a lot, but box them yourself), furniture, etc., etc.

4. Give yourself a couple days either side to clean up the new place, paint it, whatever - and the same on the old side.

5. Buy a good bottle of wine, or whatever you want, and celebrate when all the paperwork is signed, everything is more or less in place, and you're in your new place!

I second Maytag, also Whirlpool. Good stuff. And your mom willing to help is awesome!

Above all, keep lots of liquids handy. This is a hot time in CA, and it is v-e-r-y easy to get dehydrated. Best I've found is one of those 24-packs of sport bottles...

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Looks like you already got it handled. I was going to offer to fly out there and help move for free except for the ticket(only if it was cheap, trying to save you $$$). My friend and I have helped friend's move quite a bit lately and have a good bit of experience. Nothing broke yet!!! Also I've never been to Ca. I would love to go someday. I hope everything goes good for you. Congrats on your new place. David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks