What's new

I'm lost... Which upgrade makes more sense? (1 Viewer)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I have 450 bucks to upgrade my system with. There are 2 weak links remaining in my setup. My receiver ( Sony str-de475) and my speakers (a mix of sony and rca bookshelves). I am almost embarrased to post these products as mine, but I have what I could afford at the time.

For my 450 dollars I can have shipped to my door either the Sony STR-DA2ES receiver or Energy Take 5.2 speakers (no sub, I have 2 diy's). I am absolutely set on these 2 products and will have them both within 6 months, It's just that I don't know which to get first.

Problems I have with each piece:

Speakers: well they sound ok to me but with a RCA center, surrounds, and sony bookshelves as mains, I can't do much showing off visually, and you can forget anything being timbre matched. They also sound kinda flat and dull.

Receiver: Apparently there is no bass management, there is not a crossover setting for LFE, and I can hear midrange bleeding from my sealed subs... at 80 watts per channel it still gets plenty loud, but is distorted (speakers?)

So, with the given information, which will (most likely) allow me to enjoy my HT the most for the next four to sixmonths?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'd vote for the speakers first. Getting a nice set of tone-matched speakers helps the illusion of putting you in the action.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I'm with Bob on this one all the way!

Definitly go with a complete set of matched speakers.
They will give you a noticable difference in your systems sound quailty "NOW"!
Be sure to calibrate with an SPL meter and Avia or the like obviously. Very important.

If you went with the new Receiver first, it will only be as good as the speaks it plays threw.
With the mish mash of speaks your currently are running, much less if anything would be noticed because of your current speaker situation.

Regards
Geoff

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
OK! I've placed my order for the Energy Take 5.2 speaker system and since the retailer is here in GA, I will get them tomorrow.

I have the Avia disk and the radio shack analog spl meter. I also put together some new speaker wires for my new toys. Home depot 12 gage for the front 3 (man this is thick stuff, it barely fits in these stupid spring clips on my receiver) and 14 gage to the rears (cost effective since I have close to 50 foot runs). I have the speaker ends terminated with spades and have banana plugs on order for my new receiver when I buy it.

I can't wait to fire it up tomorrow!

Oh, one more thing, after the "break in period", should i re-calibrate using avia?

Thanks for the help guys!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The break-in period changes the tone, but not the over-all volume level. But you should get a laser-pen to see where the speakers are pointing and re-adjust the levels whenever you play with speaker angles or position. It's kind of amazing the volume change when you move a speaker a bit.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks