I'm losing interest in American Idol show

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Karl_Luph, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Maybe I'm being too critical, but I just don't have a favorite singer I'm pulling for this time around that keeps me wanting to watch each episode. The one's I thought had something either didn't make the cut or got canned. Maybe I'm just expecting too much, like trying to find the next big thing. I see some good talent but no one that's unique and refreshing.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yep, it's no longer new, and people are realizing that it's a glorified karaoke contest full of mediocre talent who will be forgotten 2 years from now

3. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

You admit to having a passing interest in that show, let alone even watching it?? [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist...

4. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I can't really see watching the show past the first couple of episodes. The only entertainment value it has is watching the truly horrible people try out, once we've narrowed it down to a field of talented people it's boring. I want to see embarassingly bad singers and see what happens when the judges tell them so. After that it's just dull.

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Then you really shouldn't miss tonight's episode. It's being billed as "The Best of the Worst" or something like that.

6. Karl_Luph

LOL! The guy(?) that butchered "Like A Virgin" will probably take the cake! Honestly, the show has a good concept, but got inflated so much by the first season, I don't know if they can maintain the viewer's interest. Isn't Star Search still on? It never was huge , but it seemed to survive and remain on. I don't watch Star Search anymore, but there must be enough viewers that do.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    With the first iteration I watched the mass auditions and then picked up towards the final weeks, mainly because of a friend's interest. Same thing this go around - I don't have much interest in seeing the mediocre whittled down.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I can't imagine any of these singers being an American Idol.

Lounge singers at your local Holiday Inn, ok.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The only I reason I watch it is because my lil sis takes over my TV. I admit it's much better than anything on MTV/VH1 and of course there's Simon to put inflated egos in there place. I like him. [​IMG]

11. Tom Keels

Tom Keels Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone else think that the "Like a Virgin" guy is a plant by fox, to get someone who is SO over the top bad they have something to promo on? They hyped his appearance for weeks, and it delivered as being the worst. But watching it, my BS sensor just kept going off.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

From the scuttlebutt around town, "Keith" is an Atlanta local, and his family (maybe brother) owns a Karoake bar, and probably went on the auditions for his 15 minutes of fame. I don't think he's a plant by Fox.

13. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Never interested to begin with...:b

14. Karl_Luph

You're correct Joel C, the clip and video of Kelly and Justin was the best part of the show. Not only do they have good voices,they have appealing personalities that don't come across as trashy or phony. I could see them possibly being on a tv series or in movies in the future. I kinda get the feeling that the American Idol producers are looking to pull away from the trashy image that the music industry has sunk to and find a more sophisticated look. Just my two cents....

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I cannot believe that anyone watches trash like that show.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, there are tens of millions of "anybody"'s that tune in each week. Different strokes and all.

17. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Jeff, you better believe it! I'm sure you know there are other shows that are more deserving of such a statement. But then again I also am a devoted fan of the most immoral show on television, at least by the estimation of one group of people. (That show is Buffy if you didn't know).

18. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Interesting title for this thread.

I NEVER had any interest and haven't watched even a minute. I hate these kind of shows and the 'reality' shows, and the various 'dating' shows.

19. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator