I'm looking to get an affordable 6.1 set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn_Wen, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Shawn_Wen

Shawn_Wen Auditioning

i was looking at bose initially. from all that i've heard i'm not going to go with them. if someone could reccomend a good audio setup or point me in the direction of a good deal. i'm actually looking for a whole home theatre set up. i already have the TV. looking for dvd player, receiver, speakers and anything else i may need. all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am new to all of this. thanks for your time.

2. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Affordable is a VERY relative term. Could you give some of us a price range to deal with?

Matthew

3. Shawn_Wen

Shawn_Wen Auditioning

Oops, $1500 or less. The room is 12.5'x14' and is set up diagonally. I prewired the walls for surround speakers, initially for the Bose system, and would like a setup that is similar in size and mounting style. I have speaker terminal boxes mounted in the walls 5.5' off the floor. The front and rear center channel speakers can be different shape, rectangular as opposed to squarish, than the right and left channels as I can still change configuration of the mounting system for those. I don't know what the $$ restrictions will get me but I might be able to hold off on the receiver for now and just use the speaker terminals on the big screen tv until I can save some $$ for a good receiver.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Here's a 5.1 speaker set I like. In your size of room I really don't think a 6.1 system is needed:

http://bostonacoustics.com/ProductsP...=1&SeriesID=15

The other $500? I would get a basic receiver & dvd player--the speakers are THE most important part of a sound system.

LJ

5. Shawn_Wen

Shawn_Wen Auditioning

thanks!

6. Shawn_Wen

Shawn_Wen Auditioning

I've decided to go with the Boston Acoustics set-up with the PV500 powered sub, 1 pair of Micro 90x II fronts, 1 pair of Micro 80x II rears, 1 Micro 90c front center channel and 1 Micro 80c rear center channel. For the receiver I chose the Denon AVR1803 and a Pioneer Elite DV45A as my DVD player. While I was there I cancelled the scheduled delivery of my Toshiba 57H82 57" widescreen and changed it to the Pioneer Elite PRO530HD 53" widescreen for space consideration and picture quality. This system should do the trick for what I feel to be a great price of $3900.00 out the door.

I just have to add in the price of mounting bracketry for the surrounds. I checked Boston Acoustics website and couldn't find wall brackets, do they come with the speakers or does someone sell nice ones that will work?

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you've not purchased yet, take a look at the Paradigm cinema series for the rears, and the performance or monitor series for the fronts. IMO, would be much better sounding, and still small enough. Still, the bostons will be decent.

9. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

From everything I have read, the mini KEF complete package is supposed to be very good. Again, if you have not purchased yet, I would check them out. They come in at just about exactly your $1500 price point. Good luck!

~Bri