What's new

I'm looking to buy a DVD camcorder. Seeking help from current owners. (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
My current camcorder is acting up. I think it's time to get a new one. I heard about the DVD camcorders and I think it'd be a good time to make that move. But I'd like some feedback first from current DVD camcorder owners.

Which models are recommended? Any problems? Pros, Cons? Anything you have to offer to make my decision making easier would be greatly appreciated.

Price is also an issue. I know they're not that affordable at the moment but the less I can spend on one, the better. My budget is $700. Would I be able to get something good for that price?

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I've been doing sone research on camcorders as well. While I would love to go out ab ourchase the latest and greatest, the reviews so far are not encouraging. First, they video picture quality matches DV...but is usually subpar. Also, it appears that video editing is very limited with the dvd models. Can you play them right away in most dvd players? Sure.

It seems like the dvd models are for people who just wanna burn something to dvd watch it. Kinda like using a point and shoot cameras rather than a good SLR with manual controls.

Go to ecoustics.com for the latest reviews. I'm gonna hold out until December to see how the new models shake out.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I saw one of those in the Onecall catalog.

It seems like a good idea if you're going to rip it to your hard drive on a PC to edit the material.

Here's what I would be concerned with. Optical disc writing seems to be something that's best done on a unit that's sitting still on a table or shelf.

Another factor that would bother me is that I've read several reviews on epinions.com about the Sony Mavica CD-R digital camera. Once again it seemed like a good idea until I started seeing stories about them improperly writing to the disc and the pictures being gone.

What we really need is to record the video directly to a non-moving parts system such as flash memory. At the rate that kind of memory is expanding, it won't be long before we can do it affordably.

For the time being, tape (however crude it may be) seems to work pretty well when being used in a enviroment where it's position is anything but stationary.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Not so encouraging so far. :) Thanks for the views guys.

Any feedback from actual DVD camcorder owners?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks